SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 SC430 Shocks-Front & Rear Update?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 08:28 PM
gkayvee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 SC430 Shocks-Front & Rear Update?

I know this is an old subject and I've searched and read everything I could find here on CL about shocks for my '05 SC430.
My on-line research suggests there are several (non-Lexus) direct replacement front shocks and they cost about $100 - $150 each. Rear shocks seem to be available ONLY from Lexus for about $185 - $230 each (P/N 48530-80244). Can some of you send me to school on a few things about replacement shocks?

~ What shock maker makes the OE front and rear shocks for Lexus, if known?

~ What shock makers offer BOTH front and rear direct replacement shocks for the '05 SC430, if any?

~ Of any shock makers that make both front and rear direct replacements for the 2005 SC430, is there much consensus about which are best for spirited daily driving?

~ If all four shocks are replaced, are there other suspension parts that should be replaced at the same time, even if the car drives/handles well and has no obvious wear/defects?

Thanks...
Old 02-10-13, 12:43 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkayvee
I know this is an old subject and I've searched and read everything I could find here on CL about shocks for my '05 SC430.
My on-line research suggests there are several (non-Lexus) direct replacement front shocks and they cost about $100 - $150 each. Rear shocks seem to be available ONLY from Lexus for about $185 - $230 each (P/N 48530-80244). Can some of you send me to school on a few things about replacement shocks?

~ What shock maker makes the OE front and rear shocks for Lexus, if known?

~ What shock makers offer BOTH front and rear direct replacement shocks for the '05 SC430, if any?

~ Of any shock makers that make both front and rear direct replacements for the 2005 SC430, is there much consensus about which are best for spirited daily driving?

~ If all four shocks are replaced, are there other suspension parts that should be replaced at the same time, even if the car drives/handles well and has no obvious wear/defects?

Thanks...
Many threads on here regarding suspension upgrades.. If you do a search you will find results (i personally have started and modified threads on the subject)..

In a nutshell, KYB makes stock SC suspension, valving has changed from 06 onwards but is still inadequated for 'spirited driving,' definately a better option than stock05 but if i'm not mistaken, the spring diameter has also changed from 06 onwards so if you want to go that route yoy may need to source a factory coilover set with springs and shocks from someone who would sell.

I would just invest in a set of aftermarket coilovers. I personally went with MeisterR Europa Coilovers from the UK. You can also choose from Tein, BCRacing, Megan to name a few.. All of which are quality products to suite different budgets.

Regarding other upgrades, you can adapt the TRD 2GS swaybars (front direct bolt on, rear needs some modification to the rear chassis brace bracket) to control body roll (IMO the worst characteristic of the SC's handling). You can also opt for Tom's chassis braces, a little pricy but they will box up your suspension and stiffen your chassis for a tighter drive.

Hope this helps.

Moe
Old 02-10-13, 06:09 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would encourage you to look at the coilovers, I bought the Megan's for around $600 and installed them myself (plenty of help on this forum if you are a DIYer).
Old 02-12-13, 12:22 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do want to go with a set of coilovers there are a couple options at different price points. We can help you out there, feel free to shoot us a message
Old 02-27-13, 02:30 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2005 SC430. I want to replace the rear shocks and will probabaly go with Bilstein. I just need some clarification regarding the rear suspension. If all I am doing is replacing the shocks, I assume I can keep the stock rear springs ? I have looked at some of the (helpful) photos on this site that show coilovers being fitted. I won't be using new coilovers;just new rear shocks. Do the new shocks simply fit inside the stock springs ? All advcie apprecited (:
Old 02-28-13, 03:35 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes the shock fits inside the spring. When replacing the shock you just need to compress the spring remove the old one and insert the new one. Good luck!
Old 05-06-13, 10:56 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have You Installed the Rear Bilsteins?

Originally Posted by townsville
I have a 2005 SC430. I want to replace the rear shocks and will probabaly go with Bilstein. I just need some clarification regarding the rear suspension. If all I am doing is replacing the shocks, I assume I can keep the stock rear springs ? I have looked at some of the (helpful) photos on this site that show coilovers being fitted. I won't be using new coilovers;just new rear shocks. Do the new shocks simply fit inside the stock springs ? All advcie apprecited (:
Any news on your rear shock Bilstein project? I'm also planning to do the same and would like to know how the SC's ride with the rear Bilstein. I'm planing to install the Heavy Duty version. I have those in the fronts and it's fine.
Old 05-06-13, 11:07 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the Bilstein front and rear very nice ride.
for the rears to fit you must have Bilstein cut rears 11/4" shorter.
or cut the bumpstop the same I would not cut the bumpstop.

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-06-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 10:24 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
I use the Bilstein front and rear very nice ride.
for the rears to fit you must have Bilstein cut rears 11/4" shorter.
or cut the bumpstop the same I would not cut the bumpstop.
...I'm running the Bilsteins on the rear also and the car rides great. I ran the sports instead of the heavy duty, so not sure if there is that much difference in the ride. I did cut the bumpstop & every once & awhile, I can feel them bottom out (big bumps, but not dips), but the tires don't rub. So I'm planning to put new stops in and see if this eliminates that. If not, I'll probably order another set & have them cut like Bacardi did
Old 05-07-13, 02:21 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Default shocks

mine is a long story short. I went the hard way on everything, first got the Bilstein Sports Shocks, Fronts cost 109 each, Rears were 119 each. sent them to Bilstein had them reduce Fronts from 30% to 10% and revalved them for the 430sc. Rears had them reduced valving from 30% to 10 %, cut the valve body 11/4 shorter, redid the stems. went over board.
this is what I would do now, buy Front Bilstein HD install them. Rears HD send them to Bilstein, cut valve body 11/4 install, your done. that's it.
remember I use Swift Springs front drop .8 rear .6

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-21-13 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 11:39 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

mine is a long story short. I went the hard way on everything, first got the Bilstein Sports Shocks, Fronts cost 109 each, Rears were 119 each. sent them to Bilstein had them reduce Fronts from 30% to 10% and revalved them for the 430sc. Rears had them reduced valving from 30% to 10 %, cut the valve body 11/4 shorter, redid the stems. went over board.
this is what I would do now, buy Front Bilstein HD install them. Rears HD send them to Bilstein, cut valve body 11/4 install, your done. that's it.
...whats the cost of having the rears cut ??? I may look into buying the HD for the rears, if adding a new bumpstop doesn't stop my minor issue
Old 05-08-13, 02:41 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

tex
I don't know because I had other work done. call bilstein ask for wam he will tell you about 120 I guess..
Old 06-20-13, 05:59 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Bacardi has been a great source of info on Bilsteins/sc 430. I bought Bilstein HD front and rear and sent the rears to Bilstein to have them modified as per Bacardi's advice. The donor shocks are from a GS 300. I have the part numbers if needed, The front GS 300 shocks bolt straight up to the SC430 but the rears need to be cut down by Bilstein to fit properly. I may have been the only person to experience this, but also, to make the rears fit the rear Lexus spring, you will need to use the spring retainers from the front GS300 shocks. The rear retainers that come with the donor rear GS300 shocks are way too big (installer had the car on the hoist for 3 hours before conceding the rears could only be fitted with the front spring retainers). They have to be ordered separately from Bilstein. Luckily, I have emailed Bilstein and the front retainers are available
Old 06-20-13, 06:02 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by townsville
Bacardi has been a great source of info on Bilsteins/sc 430. I bought Bilstein HD front and rear and sent the rears to Bilstein to have them modified as per Bacardi's advice. The donor shocks are from a GS 300. I have the part numbers if needed, The front GS 300 shocks bolt straight up to the SC430 but the rears need to be cut down by Bilstein to fit properly. I may have been the only person to experience this, but also, to make the rears fit the rear Lexus spring, you will need to use the spring retainers from the front GS300 shocks. The rear retainers that come with the donor rear GS300 shocks are way too big (installer had the car on the hoist for 3 hours before conceding the rears could only be fitted with the front spring retainers). They have to be ordered separately from Bilstein. Luckily, I have emailed Bilstein and the front retainers are available
ps Juan Alvarez from Bilstein is a very helpful and knowledgable guy. The project would not have been possible without Bacardi's advice and Juan's technical work
Old 04-05-19, 11:00 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the dead..

[QUOTE=townsville;8000568]ps Juan Alvarez from Bilstein is a very helpful and knowledgable guy. The project would not have been possible without Bacardi's advice and Juan's technical work[/QUOTE

hi everyone it’s been awhile but can someone elaborate as to what they mean by cutting the rear 11/4? I have a set of bilstein front and rear shocks from my old gs400 along with some Laporte springs. I now have an 05 sc430 and would like to fit parts I have rather than buying more. Please let me know what’s needed to fit the shocks if I keep the gs lowering springs as well.

Thanks -
Bryan