SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Tires/Sooner than later

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 12:22 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Tires/Sooner than later

I bought my SC right after Christmas. I love the car. It is absolutely the BEST car I have ever owned and I have traded often. I have owned 4 other convertibles...this if by far the nicest I have ever owned. One problem...the tires. I hated the run flats. I began investigating the purchase of non run flats upon first examination of the car. Well, to make a long story short, I picked up a screw in the tire. So, I took it the tire dealer I had been talking with about replacing the tires...then I wen to another, and another...5 in all. Same response, all 5 said they couldn't and wouldn't repair a run flat. So today I hastened my purchase of new tires. The Michelin non-run flats...what a world of difference! I can't believe it.
Old 02-11-13, 01:23 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Moondog, congrats on your purchase!

Tell us more about the 4 other convertibles you have owned and how they compare to your new SC430. Many of us here have never had other convertibles and are interested in hearing the pros/cons from someone who has experienced other convertibles.

The non-run flats are almost a requirement for the SC430. I once drove one with RunFlats and it didn't feel at all like an SC430... amazing Lexus even shipped them that way, plus the space savings are not huge.

Also tell us what year your SC430 is, rough mileage, and rough cost you paid, as we are interested in hearing more. Feel free to post pics if you'd like too.
Old 02-11-13, 01:54 PM
Moondog
Driver

I did post some pictures a while back. It is an 02 with 50K miles. It was in immaculate shape. All of the maintenance records are on the Lexus site, to include timing belt change at 45K. The tires probably had another 20K in them.

As for my other cars, I owned two Miatas, a Thunderbird (This was a beautiful car. It had the black and red leather interior, on white exterior) and I owned a BMW 330ci (I owned this for only 6-8 months or so...)... In absolute honesty, none of these compared in ride and comfort to the SC. The Thunderbird was probably the smoothest of the 4, but still not up to the SC.

I guess I will look to purchase a donut from somewhere. But, I do have road side service with USAA. So, I am covered for flats... But, it might be nice to have a donut on a trip.

As for the run-flats, why own one if you can't repair it! That just seems kind of crazy. The tires that were on the car were extremely expensive to replace.

The difference in ride between run-flats and non-runflats is incredible. My wife even said what a BIG difference.
Old 02-11-13, 02:25 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When the car was introduced it was panned far and wide for the jarring ride (which we now know was due to the run-flats), and it still carries that stigma among the unenlightened.
Old 02-11-13, 05:10 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Moondog,

I ditched my run flats last month that had probably 70% tread left and installed Michelin Pilot Super Sports. World of difference.

I bought a Mazda RX-8 temp wheel and tire off eBay for about $150.

I have a 2nd SC430 for my wife. It has Continental Extreme DWS non run flats on it and a Lexus Spare tire kit. The Lexus wheel is steel and the Mazda is alloy. The Lexus wheel/tire probably weighs 1.5x the Mazda wheel/tire. The Mazda wheel/tire is 1" less diameter (1/2" radius)

BTW, the Michelins ride smoother than the Continental DWS's. don't get me wrong, if I went from run fats to the DWS tires I'd be ecstatic.

JR
Old 02-15-13, 07:11 PM
Moondog
Driver

I will concur with everyone that I have read on this board that changing from the run-flats to regular makes such an unbelievable difference it is hard to even describe. The ride is so much smoother, quieter.... It has made such a BIG difference.
Old 02-25-13, 01:14 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondog
I will concur with everyone that I have read on this board that changing from the run-flats to regular makes such an unbelievable difference it is hard to even describe. The ride is so much smoother, quieter.... It has made such a BIG difference.
the first thing any new owner should do, get rid of the RFTs !
Old 02-25-13, 05:27 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
the first thing any new owner should do, get rid of the RFTs !
Exactly right. Makes all the world of a difference!
Old 02-25-13, 06:16 AM
rgvolo
Driver School Candidate

I had the same ride problems as everyone else becasue of the run flats, But I chose the Michelin AS run flats and find them to be 300% improvement over the original Bridgestones on my 2007 Peble Beach. I was very nervous to spend all that money on new run flats but I trusted my tire guy when he told me they were as good as the non RF's. He was right! Just sayin......
Old 02-25-13, 01:56 PM
jomo3640
Driver

Originally Posted by jasone36
Moondog, congrats on your purchase!

Tell us more about the 4 other convertibles you have owned and how they compare to your new SC430. Many of us here have never had other convertibles and are interested in hearing the pros/cons from someone who has experienced other convertibles.

The non-run flats are almost a requirement for the SC430. I once drove one with RunFlats and it didn't feel at all like an SC430... amazing Lexus even shipped them that way, plus the space savings are not huge.

Also tell us what year your SC430 is, rough mileage, and rough cost you paid, as we are interested in hearing more. Feel free to post pics if you'd like too.
Sorry to jump the thread, But prior to my 2007 SC430, I had a 2002 T-Bird convertible (removable hard top), and the major difference is the solid feel of the SC. I swear I could "feel" the t-bird flex, and hear it creak. I immediately changed the run-flats on the SC for Michelin Super Sports, and the difference in the ride is amazing. I have the pump/repair kit in the trunk - the Super Sports suck in the snow, though! - but we try to avaoid that anyway!
I also had a '75 Fiat 124 Snyder convertible MANY years ago, but that was an entirely different type of vehicle
Old 02-25-13, 05:13 PM
Moondog
Driver

Jomo, I agree with you. The T-Bird, was pretty boaty feeling...if you know what I mean. It did have body "creaks." I have an 02 SC, and it it an unbelievable ride compared to the T-Bird, the Miata and the 330ci. I thought the BMW would be a good ride, but nothing compared to the SC. The SC is so smooth.
Old 03-05-13, 02:40 PM
Lex07
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced my run-flats on my dearly loved 2007 SC430 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports...everyone who has switched seems really happy with these tires....but after only 50 miles on them, the huge handling difference has me upset I switched...the steering feels "loose" and unstable and sort of wobbly and no longer do I have that "hug the road" and tight steering feel...any thoughts from any of you for a female driver who is now not sure what to do....my dealer did not recommend the switch and just put on what I ordered and say the tires were installed and balanced correctly and it must be due to the less stiff tires......
Old 03-05-13, 02:51 PM
Lex07
Driver School Candidate

Default Switched tires and now having problems

New to this forum...I switched out my Dunlop run-flats on my greatly loved SC430 and put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports...everyone else raves about switching but now my steering feels loose and wobbly and sort of unstable compared to before. My dealer says it is due to switching from run-flats, which they did not recommend. I do not like the way it drives now and am sooo upset and don;t know if I should take the loss and go back to run-flats or what....i have only 50 miles on these brand new tires but the dealer ordered them for me at my request...Any thoughts from any of you for a female driver who is stumped on this....
Old 03-05-13, 06:55 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lex07,

I have 2008 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and. 2007 with Continental DWS non-run flats and they both drive great, smooth and steer very tight at all speeds.

You may have severe alignment problem or some other suspension issue.

If you really have an issue that is tire related Michelin has a 30 day Satisfaction Guarantee. Contact Michelin.
http://www.michelin-us.com/michelinc...mise-plan.page

JR
Old 03-05-13, 07:22 PM
Lex07
Driver School Candidate

JR.... Thank you sooooo much for this help...I really was not sure what to think and this gives me some direction...greatly appreciated!! Will talk to the Lexus dealer again and if no help, will call Michelin...

Quick Reply: New Tires/Sooner than later