SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Almost time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 02:13 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost time for new tires

I need some help in determining what type of tire to get - runflat or not? Any input here would be appreciated. I've read all the comments about runflats, but frankly the ride on them doesn't really bother me. I had a Corvette with runflats prior to this car, so I'm used to the ride.

The issue is this - I have replaced my wheels with aftermarkets so I have no tire sensors, nor do I have a spare. I try to check the pressure on the runflats weekly just in case something happened during the week.

I'm trying to decide whether it is better to have buy non-run flats and risk getting stranded with a flat tire - no spare, or to chance that I will be riding on a run-flat with no air and not be aware of it.

For those of you that have changed your wheels to non-sensor compatible - how have you been handling it?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-02, 05:22 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Most of the one piece wheels will take sensors. Why not yours?
Old 12-16-02, 05:34 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost time...myself

As I mentioned in a previous thread....I too am at that tire decision point (20,000 miles..but they still look pretty good). My Lexus Service Manager, who has been a good friend, told me to hold off until the first week of Jan. Then, he will be in a position to offer new tire options...."softer" riding run-flats.........or better conventionals, with less costly trunk spare assembly...I'll post as soon as I know.
Old 12-16-02, 07:18 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexPro
Most of the one piece wheels will take sensors. Why not yours?
My understanding is that it has to do with the location and configuration of the valve stem. I have SSR Vienna Courage wheels, which are three piece wheels. The valve stem appears to be angled, which will not fit the sensor.
Old 12-16-02, 07:28 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Yea three piece no worky.
Old 12-16-02, 07:29 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

I just put some non runflats with sensors on mine and kept the sensor and will find a space saver spare.
Old 12-16-02, 11:34 PM
tfischer

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts
Default New tires are out there

My salesman just mentioned that the new cars are coming in with a different tire. He could not recall who made it, but it was not the Michelin which Cadillac is going to use.

Since I only have about 7,000 miles, I am nowhere near needing this information, since it seems that the run-flat tire business is changing rapidly, but you might want to talk to a salesman and check out the tires on the new cars that are now being delivered.
Old 12-16-02, 11:50 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Considering my options....

Just from a conceptual standpoint - if you did not have an operating sensor, would you rather have a flat (and not know it) with the runflats, or have a flat and know it, but not have a spare?

I'm leaning towards having a flat without a spare. It seems to me that this is a safer bet than potentially riding along unaware that your runflat has no air. After all, I still have the Lexus Roadside service.

I guess I'll trade the convenience for safety. As a side benefit, I'll get the enhanced ride of a non runflat.
Old 12-18-02, 01:50 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Considering my options....

Sorry to be a little off topic but if you don't mind the ride 2 much i have a set of the runflats with just over 90% left ,if anyone is in the Toronto, Canada area.
It really is odd though how fast they seem to be wearing compared to other cars and a few other threads on other sites that also say they are a bit noisy and rough.
Atleast the LS has a proper tire choice compared with others feed back from them,
Lexus is a a great company but some of the designs and ideas are better left on paper(like the IS with maunual ***** for Hvac?)
Just my 2 cents