SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Would anyone be interested in trading maple for burlwood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 12:18 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anyone be interested in trading maple for burlwood?

Would anyone be interested in trading maple for your burlwood? I looked into ordering all of the burlwood pieces to replace the maple a few months ago and found that it was a pretty high dollar conversion. If anyone has burlwood trim in perfect shape (as I do), let me know...

Last edited by XeetBMW330ci; 12-20-02 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 01:28 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would imagine it's prety near impossible to get the veneer off certain areas like the nav and radio covers.
Old 12-20-02, 01:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Question

XeetBMW330ci-

I'm really curious as to why you purchased this car. I've read through most of the threads and it seems you are replacing everything on it (suspension parts, side markers, wheels, wood paneling, to name a few.) Isn't that like marrying someone because you love them as a person and then asking them to change????

FYI, I also like to do things to "personalize" my ride, but if this wasn't the car I wanted, $63k would have gone a long way toward something I really wanted.
Old 12-20-02, 03:28 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Simple D............ Some folks like to personalize more than others. Take Harley Davidson owners for example. They by a Sportster, then add a Fat Boy tank, Springer suspension, etc.

It's just fun, plain and simple. It's still a Lexes SC430 at heart.
Old 12-21-02, 10:24 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default o.k.

Were you planning on just wanting to do a parts swap or did you want to pay for the labor in the swap for both cars? I might be interested BUT as my interior is perfect, I'd want to be assured it would be perfect again once the swap is completed. No offense, but I have thoughts of pieces not matching up properly, rubbing, and-or just looking bad after attempting a swap.
Old 12-23-02, 05:13 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Originally posted by ceboyd
Were you planning on just wanting to do a parts swap or did you want to pay for the labor in the swap for both cars? I might be interested BUT as my interior is perfect, I'd want to be assured it would be perfect again once the swap is completed. No offense, but I have thoughts of pieces not matching up properly, rubbing, and-or just looking bad after attempting a swap.
I understand your concern. The parts are the exactly same fitment-wise and removable so there should be no fitment problems. I'll contact you further if this turns out to be a possibilty on my end. Thanks.
Originally posted by dseag2
XeetBMW330ci-

I'm really curious as to why you purchased this car. I've read through most of the threads and it seems you are replacing everything on it (suspension parts, side markers, wheels, wood paneling, to name a few.)
Are you kidding me? What is wrong with upgrading the suspension or brakes?... or swapping out trim pieces?... or replacing those ugly wheels with something that fits the car far better? Some people think that elcantra may look better with burlwood or those dinner plates for wheels look better in storage... It's all about personal taste, why would you give me guff about this?
Isn't that like marrying someone because you love them as a person and then asking them to change????
Again, are you joking? That's rediculous.
FYI, I also like to do things to "personalize" my ride, but if this wasn't the car I wanted, $63k would have gone a long way toward something I really wanted.
Do you actually think changing the above mentioned items is an attempt to make the car something that it's not? Please. Why are you taking digs at me, I just asked a simple question!

Drew.
Old 12-23-02, 05:15 PM
XeetBMW330ci
Rookie

Originally posted by Larry
Simple D............ Some folks like to personalize more than others. Take Harley Davidson owners for example. They by a Sportster, then add a Fat Boy tank, Springer suspension, etc.

It's just fun, plain and simple. It's still a Lexes SC430 at heart.
Precisely.
Old 12-23-02, 10:06 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Stay calm X. Remember, opinions are like a**holes.....everybody's got one.
To each his own.
Old 12-24-02, 01:05 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Sorry, Xeet. As Larry said, to each his own. I like my ugly pie plates just fine. Good luck with your mods, and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-02, 10:21 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default .....hey guys!

I like making my car more unique... not just the same 'ole regular production model.... ...and although I've done very little so far to my SC430, I'm always open to ideas... ...er, should I say, open to change? LOL!

Old 12-25-02, 11:07 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

After seeing the pics of GeneArch's car w/ AutoCouture front and rear lip and TOM'S window spoiler I'm now open to change. (I guess it even happens to us die hard purists!) Really nice, subtle ground effects that don't scream "boy racer" but just give the car more presence.

I've already contacted Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota.
Old 12-26-02, 12:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

One more question, GeneArch...

The wheels on your SC430 are also, IMHO, the most well-matched non-stock wheels I have seen. There is something about the mass in the middle of the wheel that fits well with the car's styling. Only my opinion, but they look more substantial and classy than spoked wheels.

To compliment the new bodywork, I may also end up replacing the stock rims. You may have mentioned this in an earlier thread, but do you now have standard tires (non-run flats)? If so, what did you do about the spare? Have you had any difficulties w/ alignment, balance, etc.?

Thanks for the insight.