SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 08:43 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Puddle lights

I would like to install puddle lights underneath the car...to come on when the door is opened. I came across this thread that shows these lights. There is apparently a rubber grommet in the driver's floorboard which can be used to snake the wire into the cabin. Does anyone know where exactly is this rubber grommet on a 06 model? I tried to find it today but was unsuccessful.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-13, 07:38 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
I would like to install puddle lights underneath the car...to come on when the door is opened. I came across this thread that shows these lights. There is apparently a rubber grommet in the driver's floorboard which can be used to snake the wire into the cabin. Does anyone know where exactly is this rubber grommet on a 06 model? I tried to find it today but was unsuccessful.

Thanks.
...right off hand I'm not sure, but I'm going under mine this morning to change the oil, so I'll look to see if I can find it. But I had 2 questions for you...#1)...the puddle lights you're installing, are they the one's that show the lexus logo?..if so, they are actually to be installed in the bottom of door....#2)...what part of Texas you located in ??? ed

Last edited by texsexlex; 04-01-13 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 04-01-13, 07:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

We do have a door coutesy light already but perhaps the OP wants to install the lights outside. Traditional puddle lights are located on the side mirror.

VVtiBob had LED's mounted on the rockers and I believe the intent was puddle lights. If we can only find VVtiBob to ask him...

Check VVtiBob's link to his pics...
Old 04-01-13, 08:08 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
We do have a door coutesy light already but perhaps the OP wants to install the lights outside. Traditional puddle lights are located on the side mirror.

VVtiBob had LED's mounted on the rockers and I believe the intent was puddle lights. If we can only find VVtiBob to ask him...

Check VVtiBob's link to his pics...
..yea thats why I was asking, because I wasn't sure which one's he was talking about. I was thinking the ones under the rocker panels. But there is a recent thread, about the logo lights also(under the door), so was hoping to get it clarified
Old 04-01-13, 08:09 AM
mandyfig

I found this on Bob's link to his photos...

Now I am very interested in doing this mod.
Attached Thumbnails Puddle lights-puddle.jpg  
Old 04-01-13, 08:14 AM
texsexlex
Racer

I found this on Bob's link to his photos...

Now I am very interested in doing this mod.
...yea those are cool !!! Does he have a body kit or did he install them to the factory rockers ??...if we could find out what type/brand that would be even better. I ordered the logo light & waiting on them to arrive. If i could find these, i would probably do the install on both at the same time
Old 04-01-13, 08:15 AM
mandyfig

We need to find out where we can get this strip (2 LED) lighting. I like it very much.

Bob explained somewhere in his earlier (need to find this) post earlier where he tapped for the power to this strip. I would believe it will be either from the dome and/or courtesy puddle lights on the cabin. Once you unlock, these lights would go on and will be controlled by a dimmer/timer.

I am getting excited.
Old 04-01-13, 08:16 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...yea those are cool !!! Does he have a body kit or did he install them to the factory rockers ??...if we could find out what type/brand that would be even better. I ordered the logo light & waiting on them to arrive. If i could find these, i would probably do the install on both at the same time
The beauty of it is that these are installed on the rockers and it is so easy to do them. The hardest would be to wire them up with the puddle lights...we need Bob.
Old 04-01-13, 08:18 AM
texsexlex
Racer

We need to find out where we can get this strip (2 LED) lighting. I like it very much.

Bob explained somewhere in his earlier (need to find this) post earlier where he tapped for the power to this strip. I would believe it will be either from the dome and/or courtesy puddle lights on the cabin. Once you unlock, these lights would go on and will be controlled by a dimmer/timer.

I am getting excited.
....if you find out, please pass the info on...either here or pm me...I'm a little excited also...lol
Old 04-01-13, 12:03 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last edited by IcEnPinKi; 04-01-13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 12:26 PM
mandyfig

Nice, real nice...IcEnPinKi of course we are on the little league...we will keep to our modest ambitions...

Nice though, super nice.
Old 04-01-13, 04:09 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are puddle lights I currently have. Not expensive at all.
Old 04-01-13, 07:43 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
These are puddle lights I currently have. Not expensive at all.
Please let us know where you got them. Thanks.
Old 04-01-13, 08:30 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...right off hand I'm not sure, but I'm going under mine this morning to change the oil, so I'll look to see if I can find it. But I had 2 questions for you...#1)...the puddle lights you're installing, are they the one's that show the lexus logo?..if so, they are actually to be installed in the bottom of door....#2)...what part of Texas you located in ??? ed
I am interested in puddle lights under the car.....like the ones in the picture. Actually, I have a set of puddle lights from ijdmtoy or alternately a led strip that can be installed under the car. It can be tapped into the "lighted Lexus logo" that comes on when the door is opened. My issue is how to get the wire into the cabin....without drilling a hole. Any ideas?

There are a couple of round grommets near the locations where Bob installed the lights so perhaps that's the place. However, I don't know how to remove this grommet

Texsexlex: I live about 60 miles south of Houston by the coast. Where are you?

Cheers.
Old 04-01-13, 11:11 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Options2k
I am interested in puddle lights under the car.....like the ones in the picture. Actually, I have a set of puddle lights from ijdmtoy or alternately a led strip that can be installed under the car. It can be tapped into the "lighted Lexus logo" that comes on when the door is opened. My issue is how to get the wire into the cabin....without drilling a hole. Any ideas?

There are a couple of round grommets near the locations where Bob installed the lights so perhaps that's the place. However, I don't know how to remove this grommet

Texsexlex: I live about 60 miles south of Houston by the coast. Where are you?

Cheers.
..I'm in Mesquite (dfw area)...I looked under my car today & think I found the grommets you were speaking of. They are very hard to pull out,but can be done. It seems that each one is located beneath the floor of the car, so I think a small hole will have to be drilled to gain access for wiring. If anyone has done it differently,please chime in ed

Quick Reply: Puddle lights