SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

radar detector installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 08:11 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just hard wire the damn thing and hang it from the visor. Who the hell needs the stupid remote anyway. Mine is still sitting in the box it came in.Plain and simple. Mine's like this and I stuff the plug under the visor when I'm not using my V1. I also use that silly little rear storage compartment to keep it in.

BTW, if anyone wants the remote, they can have it for free. The first person to respond to this post gets it...........shipping is on me.

No ******, I'm serious.
Old 12-30-02, 09:03 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Thanks

I'm first -- I'll take it.

Thank you, Larry.

PM to follow.

Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-31-02, 01:06 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

You got it Tim. Check the PM on this site (if you can find it.......I did by accident) and e-mail me at ehaddress I gave you and I'll send it out.
Old 01-01-03, 05:16 PM
tfischer

Default Try the Red Wire

I just opened the light module in front of the mirror to access the power cords (as Bill suggested, above) where my dealer installed the Valentine One connection.

I see that my dealer attached the power cord to a red wire with a blue stripe. This is found on the right side of the compartment, and should be pretty safe, as it has worked fine for me for over a year. It is "switched power" and is only powered up when the ignition is in the ON position.

Although my dealer ran the cord out of the compartment at a position next to the light so that it would go right behind the visor, it loooks to me like there is enough room to go out of that compartment to the front, directly to the windshield, and then run the wire over to the right, thus eliminating it from view altogether.

Since my little plug clip is broken and needs to be replaced, I think I am going to get a beige phone cord from radio shack and use that instead of the black one supplied by Valentine.

It's the little things that count.
The following users liked this post:
buddhi (05-10-21)
Old 01-01-03, 08:52 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Just make sure the pins are the correct number on the plug Tim. I had to replace mine once before.......used a phone cord and it didn't work. Luckily one of the I.T. guys has the right wire and the tools for splicing the plug to it.

Also, if I remember correctly, the wiring color code/connection is the opposite from the V1 side than it is from the hard wire side.
Old 01-01-03, 10:06 PM
tfischer

Default Thanks

There is something different about V1 cords from phone cords.

If your plug goes bad (usually the locking pin just looses its springing action after a few years) it's easy enough to cut off the old one and put on a new one with the colored wires in the same order.

However, as the manual mentions, the colors are in reverse order at each end, and I think phone cords purchased at the store for phones are the same on each end. But I'm not sure. I may call Valentine World Headquarters for a clarification on whether a normal phone cord will work, unmodified, on the V1.

If not, I have a tool to put those plastic clips onto a phone line, so I can fix it if I have to.

Thanks for the reminder.

Everything is always so hard.
Old 01-02-03, 12:51 PM
tfischer

Default Now it's easier

For you installers out there:

I just called Vanentine and they indicated that any phone cord purchased in a store (Radio Shack) designed to go from the wall to the phone (not handset cords) will work on the V1 as a replacement cord.

This is handy in case you want to use a beige cord instead of the black one supplied by our good friend Mike V.

I think a nice beige cord dangling down from the visor will be so much more attractive than a black cord dangling down from the visor.
Old 01-02-03, 02:44 PM
brettn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangler

Why does the cord need to dangle?? I wired mine up to the switched wire in the dome light housing (orange/brown colored in mine), and then ran the modular plug end out of the headliner just to the left of the mirror. It exits just in front of where the V1 is attached to the windshield with the suction cups (I had it this way for well over a year in my previous vehicle without it losing its 'stick') and the wire is virtually invisible. Theres just enough wire out of the headliner to reach and not dangle. The unit placement seems ideal to me; the visor is still usable and the units arrows are very easy to see without having to look down at the steering wheel column. If you do want to change the cord, telephone cable with RJ-11 connectors will work fine though.
Old 01-02-03, 03:03 PM
tfischer

Default Sometimes

I'm working on improving the angle of the dangle.

However, when the V is removed, I tuck the cord behind the visor, and then sometimes it will pop out and dangle. This also happens when some babe wants to check her make-up and pulls down the visor to use the mirror.

Women!

(Although sometimes they can improve the angle of the dangle without even using their hands. I've seen it happen.)

But I digress. It sounds to me like you have your V mounted more in the center of the windshield. Is that correct? Mine is to the right, and mounted just below the tint band (necessary) aligned with the center of the passenger's visor. Sometimes it is a bit too far to the right for easy viewing, but it's out of the way of my vision. Don't you find it gets in the way where you have it?
Old 01-02-03, 03:38 PM
brettn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its just below the black band and just left of the mirror. Doesnt bother my vision at all... maybe Im just used to it there; it would bother me to look to the right everytime the thing beeps though.
Old 01-02-03, 04:53 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Mine's on the drivers side visor.....the wire is black and I tuck it under when the VI is not is use. The only time the wire pops out is when I check my eye shadow.

By the way Tim, it's on the way as promised.
Old 01-02-03, 05:50 PM
tfischer

Default Thanks, Larry

But be careful.

It is not a good idea to have things affixed to the driver's visor or windshield in front of your face. In the event of an unscheduled stop, that handy detector can be launched in your general direction.

And you may not have time to duck.
Old 01-03-03, 02:59 PM
tfischer

Default Larry is a gentleman and a scholar . . .

. . . and a man of his word.

I spoke up first, and he really, actually, truely did send me the Valentine remote unit as promised, and he even paid the shipping. This will give me something to do this (cold) weekend.

I love this board.
Old 01-03-03, 04:27 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Now if I could just interest someone in the extra Injen Intake I have.

The price is now $200. including shipping and live telephone installation assistance (me).
I know someone out there wants one and will LOVE it when they get it.

If I don't get any takers I may just ask our moderator folks if I can set up a free raffle of sorts (no money involved from or to anyone).

Whattya think Moderator People ?...might be fun.
Old 01-03-03, 08:40 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

BTTT