SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New To Forum (Sprint Booster Throttle, Michelin Super Sport, Denso Plugs, SRT Intake)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 06:20 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New To Forum (Sprint Booster Throttle, Michelin Super Sport, Denso Plugs, SRT Intake)

Hello Everyone.

I'm new to this forum. I'd like to socialize the recent changes I have done to my 2002 sc430:

1. I installed the "Sprint Booster" throttle control. This device really works and reduces drive by wire throttle delay. The installation is really easy. If I could do it anyone can. All you do is unscrew the throttle pedal, unplug, and then plug in the device. I don't know if this actually improves performance, but it is sure fun and makes throttle more sensitive.

2. New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer tires. These tires are very nice, and make the ride of the Sc much smoother. Traction also seems very good.

3. Denso Iridium Tip spark plugs. I had about 40K on some NKG plugs, and decided I would change the plugs for OE. The installation process took me about 3 hours, but overall it was easy. All you do is take off the air intake thing and the battery then you have full access to the plugs. There are videos on youtube that are very helpful.

4. The emblem on my steering wheel started to peel, so I removed the emblem and am currently in the process of repainting. The process of removing the embem was quite tedious but eventually it came off. The entire time I was worried the airbag would deploy. Also finding paint that is actually was chrome was not not easy. I found a nice chrome paint at Advance Auto Parts.

5. This week I am having Swift Racing Technologies in Beltsville, Maryland, install an intake and chip. I'll let you know how the car feels after installation..

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by LexBrett; 04-09-13 at 06:43 AM. Reason: More description in title
Old 04-09-13, 06:53 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a good up grade. stops lag.
Old 04-09-13, 07:53 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you source the sprint booster?
Old 04-09-13, 07:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

1st welcome to CL. We are happy to have you and your SC around here, post pics when you can.

I am up for a Spark Plug Change and would appreciate tips.
Old 04-09-13, 09:00 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
1st welcome to CL. We are happy to have you and your SC around here, post pics when you can.

I am up for a Spark Plug Change and would appreciate tips.
Hi Mandyfig,

Thanks for your response. First, may I ask where you purchased your aluminum sport pedals, JDM side markers, and LEDs? Sounds like good stuff. Also, I'm afraid I don't know how to post pics?

In terms of spark plugs, I first started looking at youtube for related videos. There is not a video for the sc430, but others that are very close. I have to say I was nervous about trying to do this on my own, but I was just tired of paying $500 for something that seemed so simple (or that is at least what friends said).

Here are the steps:

1. First determine plugs you want. Most people use Denso Iridium OE or NKG. I went to Advance Auto Parts and they will tell you what fits. I went for the OE Denso plugs because this seemed like the lowest risk option for a novice. As far as I understand, Iridium plugs do not have to be gapped, so they are good as is.

2. Next buy the right tools. You need a 10mm socket wrench and I think a 13mm for the battery. I also bought a magnetic device that can grab nuts and bolts if you drop them, which I did. The guys at Advance can find this tool for you. Also, make sure to get needle nose pliers, a flashlight, and a anti-seize compound. I also use WD-40 before I try to take anything off.

3. Open your hood and try to locate the plugs. You'll first hav to take off the engine cover which is really easy. Now look on the driver side. You'll see four circle shape areas on the top of each cylinder. There is an electric plug connected to each. Attached to the plug is the engine coil, and under than buried deep is the spark plug.

4. I first suggest trying to take out one of the spark plugs on the driver side do you'll have more confidence with the harder plugs. Find the easiest one. Use the needle nose pliers first to disconnect the electrical connector. You'll have to use the pliers. After you take off the electrical plug, unscrew the engine coil. It is a little tricky to find this, but I think there is a diagram somewhere on the internet I can dig up for you.

Unscrew the engine coil, using a 10mm socket wrench. Pull out the engine coil. There will be a hole and you probably won't be able to see the spark plug unless you use a flashlight.

Now get your 5/8 spark plug socket wrench you purchased (ie, i think it is 5/8, but ask at the store), and take out the plug. It shouldn't be too hard to unscrew. Magically, a dirty old plug will emerge out of the hole.

5. Now that you know you can locate and remove the plugs, you can do the four on the driver side. I used lubricant on the screws connecting the engine coils first. When you screw in the spark plug, do not over or under tighten. Some people recommend using a torque wrench. Also made sure to use anti seize compound.

6. The passenger side is a bit more tedious. You have to remove the air box "thing" to have access to all the plugs. You'll see what I mean. You also have to remove the battery, just make sure when you reconnect it you do it in the proper order or you will blow a fuse, as I did.

7. Remove all the stuff in the way and change the plugs, re-assemble, and start her up! Then you are done! Believe me, if I can do it anyone one can!!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by LexBrett; 04-09-13 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-09-13, 09:01 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
Where did you source the sprint booster?
I bought the sprint bootser on amazon for $299.

Last edited by LexBrett; 04-09-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 09:59 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone know if the plugs thread into steel inserts, or directly into the aluminum head (I'm guessing into some type of hardened insert)?

Generally speaking, I'll add that I like to change plugs on a stone-cold engine, especially on aluminum heads.

I'll be changing mine soon, so happy to hear that there is nothing too difficult here.