SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 12:13 PM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauge Cluster

I'm an LS400 owner, and my favorite feature about my car, as well as most Lexus, is the floating gauge cluster. I think it adds so much to the luxuriousness of the interior. Why does the gauge cluster on the new SC430 look as if it came from a Kia?!?! In my opinion, Lexus should have left well enough alone. Does anyone know if there are any future plans to return to Lexus' trademark electroluminescent gauges? It would be an improvement!
Old 12-30-02, 01:26 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

JWC83-

Don't think there's been any discussion as to if/when Lexus will ever switch to electroluminescent guages in the SC430. I too was disappointed initially as I always liked the guages in my Dad's LS400 and my previous SC300, but after owning the car for 4 months I now realize that the guage lighting seems to be designed to compliment the rest of the dash lighting (i.e. HVAC, Mark Levinson System).

It works nicely and... to each his own... but IMHO by no means looks like a Kia. It just looks more like what is currently being installed in modern vehicles. If you have any doubt, go take a look at the guages in the new M-B SL500.

DSeag2
Old 12-30-02, 01:31 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was done that way so you could see them clearly when the top's down on a sunny day. Kind of a bummer, but practical...
Old 12-30-02, 01:32 PM
tfischer

Received 229 Likes on 169 Posts
Default That's a new one

It looks a lot better than that.

I had an SC400 for 10 years, which had gauges similar to the LS400. I don't really notice much difference in the gauges in the SC430.

As for "floating," I thought that term was for a cluster that moved with the adjustible steering wheel, like the new 350Z. I don't think Lexus has ever had such a cluster in any of its cars.

If you are suggesting that the old style of neon illumination of the gauge dials, which I think Lexus introduced in the original LS400, is better than the present method used, that's a matter of opinion. Having had both, my feeling is that the old style was quite dramatic, but was a little too high contrast. I think the new ones are quite elegant, and if KIA has something similar, no wonder they are selling so well.

The SC430 gauges are deeply recessed so they will not be washed out by daylight when the top is down, a problem unique to this Lexus model. They are very easy to read in both daylight and at night. I think you will find them quite an improvement.
Old 12-30-02, 02:14 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Hey, EAAASSSY, tfischer. I think I saw the guages floating in my SC300 one night. Fortunately, I didn't get stopped for DUI!
Old 12-30-02, 02:21 PM
tfischer

Default Well . . .

I've been floating a few times in my SCs as well, but the dashboard has always remained anchored, to my knowledge.
Old 12-30-02, 03:39 PM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps 'floating' isn't quite the word I was looking for. A better description of what I meant might be that the gauges have a 3-D look, and seem to float in space, as opposed to where one can clearly see a backing, as on the new SC-430.

The reason for the switch probably was so one could see the gauges better with the top down. Even so, if they were recessed enough, I think the optitron lights would work just fine in most cases, and would give the car more character. Just my two cents, though!

Were I ever to buy a convertible, though, I would not go with the Lexus SC430 because the optitron lights are my favorite Lexus feature. If not for them, might as well buy a Jaguar, Mercedes, or BMW! Right?
Old 12-30-02, 03:57 PM
tfischer

Default We all have our favorites

Each of us has something he looks for in buying a car, and I drove quite a few convertibles before buying an SC430, including the Jag, Mercedes and BMW.

There are a lot more differences between these cars and the SC than dashboard lights. In cars at this level of excellence, gauge illumination is not much of a determining factor because all are good. For example, even though I might not like the red/orange that some manufacturers use, this would not be a deal breaker.

I agree with you that the older style of illumination was very good, and quite flashy, but it's neither a distinguishing characteristic in today's market nor a determining factor in vehicle selection.

Unless, of course, you just can't live without it.
Old 12-30-02, 05:16 PM
BigHat
Driver School Candidate

Default Not a deal breaker for me

I have been struggling between an M3 cab and an SC430 for 2 months now. Never noticed anything about the light clusters of either vehicle that would make a difference.

But your question does hit on a key issue in my view. Quality of production and engineering design.

Now the M3 and the SC430 aren't competitors to some people but they are to me. I want a convertible, good looking, performance car. To me the SC's quiet interior, nice stereo and decent handling makes up for the M3's rocket-like performance. Conversely, the SMG II shifter (God why doesn't Lexus offer something like this?) , perfect handling, and gobs of power wouldn't make the M3 that hard to live with.

Where Lexus excels: Maybe the best quality control in the car business. I've had two perfect Infiniti Q45s and Lexus is supposed to be better. Great design and gear layout. Lot of gadgets, and MOST importantly, gadgets done right. I'd bet serious money that Lexus design engineers tried the lights you like (why not, already designed) and opted for something better for this application. That would be consistent with their ethos.
It kills me to read about the squeaks in the BMW M3 tops, the vibrating speakers in their stereo system, and the occasional engine failures. I wish they had Lexus quality control down. The choice would be simpler.
For me, the ultimate expectation one should get from a $60K car is total reliability. That's why the best looking convertible currently of the planet, the Jag XKR is a non-starter at any price.

Forgive the rant and digression from the meat of the thread.
Old 12-30-02, 05:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Default Well said!

BigHat, I couldn't agree with you more. I traded in my sweet Audi A6 4.2 Quattro for my SC430. To quote one of my friends, it was "like a Corvette with 4 doors", and I thought the red ambient lighting was the most beautiful I'd seen. After that, the Lexus lights didn't thrill me (at first).

However, Audi reliability and service didn't compare one iota to what I've experienced with Lexus. I've also owned a BMW 330Ci and had similar experience. My overall impression from both of those brands was that their service couldn't keep up with their sales. That, not the dash lights, is my reason for owning an SC430... not to mention it's a damn nice car and the more you drive it the more you appreciate EVERYTHING about the interior!
Old 12-31-02, 09:16 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen the gauges in any Lexus other than my SC430, but when I was considering a used SC300, I seem to recall reading about those lighted dials failing after a few years. The only remedy was the replacement of the entire gauge, not the lights alone.

My memory is a tad fuzzy on this, though.
Old 12-31-02, 09:48 AM
tfischer

Default That was wrong

I had a '92 SC430 that I bought in '93 and drove until May of '01, when I got my SC430.

I sold the 400 to my brother, who also has an "original" (1990 or 1991) LS 400. I am in both of those cars from time to time and the dashboard lights are still quite strong enough to illuminate a Meat Loaf Paradise.

I think we would have heard about it if Lexus had cars out there whose instrument clusters had to be replaced every few years.

Where does this stuff start?

Over at Infinity?
Old 12-31-02, 09:54 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>Where does this stuff start?<
Sure wish I could recall, fischer.

"Meat Loaf Paradise"? Sounds a bit oxymoronic to me.
Old 12-31-02, 10:02 AM
tfischer

Default Music

"Paradise By the Dashboard Lights."

A song by "Meat Loaf" about sex in the back seat.

I doubt he was in a Lexus (then -- pre 1990), but maybe now.
Old 12-31-02, 10:14 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Ah ... thanks for enlightening me, fischer.

Meat Loaf Paradise sounded like the name of a new recipe from the Food section of Woman's Day.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster