SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Installed E3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 03:17 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Installed E3 Spark Plugs

Dear Friends, Today I installed E3 spark plugs on my sc430. After the install, I fired up the engine and everything seemed fine. The idle was smooth and no codes.

I drove a little around town in dense traffic and it was hard to tell whether there was a change in performance. I have done so much to my sc lately that I figure even if there is improvement it will be hard to detect given all the other changes.

However, what I am able to quantify is mpg. I use a rev2 app, dashcommand, and the OE trip mpg gauge. Before the plugs I was getting about 13 in heavy traffic. Tomorrow when I go to work I will look carefully at my mpg and report to you guys.

I took out the denso plugs because I had a slight ping. I was told these plugs were pre gapped, so I didn't gap them. Later I found out that I should have gapped them and that could have been the resin for the pre ignition.

And when I took out the new denso plugs they looked like crap! They are covered in orange brownish residue. So clearly something was amiss.

Now I have heard all the mixed reviews and opinions about E3s. I'm fully prepared to take then out at the first sign of trouble and put in some properly gapped NGKs.

I will let you all know what happens...
Old 06-04-13, 09:09 PM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My MPG is 13 streets 16 HWY. Horrible. I figured I'll try changing the plugs. Tried to take them out I couldnt get them out of the engine block. Guess i'll need a special tool. Someone said it should have came with the car.
Old 06-05-13, 11:01 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I believe that Mandyfig did a thread recently discussing how to replace the plugs. Check it out.
Old 06-05-13, 11:31 AM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I'm fully prepared to take then out at the first sign of trouble and put in some properly gapped NGKs.
These plugs will have a useful lifespan of max 10,000 miles. They are a standard "old school" plug and are below the specification ideally suited for the V8 SC430.
I would think it's false economy to put in these plugs, considering the useful lifespan of them. Actually if you change them at their life limit you'll spend a lot more on multiple sets of E3 (copper cored plugs) than one set of decent Iridium tipped plugs that last 60,000 miles.

I took out a set of old Iridiums out of a V8 Lexus recently with 80,000 miles on them. Sure the gap was high from wear but they were STILL firing properly.

E3 for reference: http://www.jcwhitney.com/automotive-...d1394y2002g2j1
Iridiums for reference: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...267&cc=1445195

Today the 5th of June 2013, they are both the same price, so why would you buy the E3's then ?
Old 06-06-13, 05:58 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default E3 Short Life Span

I am fully prepared to change the plugs again around 5000 or 10000 miles. Honestly I was just dying of curiosity as to whether the E3 plugs worked or not. So far, my sc is running fine and I am still trying to ascertain whether the mpg has increased or not. In about a week of driving in dense traffic I should have enough data on my trip computer to report. I will let you know!
Old 06-06-13, 06:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Plugs will not substantially increase your MPG.
Old 06-06-13, 07:08 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

I really don't understand why we keep having this discussion. Plugs do not increase power or MPG. That is unless there is something wrong with the plugs that are installed. If you take two plugs that are properly matched in both temperature and duration and meet the specs for the engine, one will not give you better MPG or power. Our government is pushing the auto makers to increase MPG. If it was this easy don't you think all of them would be buying these plugs rather than doing expensive things like making the car lighter or engineering more efficient fuel delivery systems. Why pay an engineer? Just put in some of these great plugs and go home. I responded to a thread some time ago with this explanation. A spark plug does nothing more than initiate an exothermic chemical reaction. i.e. the oxidation of gasoline. Once the reaction is started it's job is done. The power comes from the burning of the fuel. I live in western Virginia, NASCAR country, and there are a number of dirt tracks around here and everyone wants to be a stock car star. I have a friend that races and they change the plugs on the engine after every weekend of racing. Do you know what plugs they use? Cheap copper plugs since they are changing them after only a few hundred miles. It saves them money and the plugs do the job intended. If more expensive plugs gave them either better mileage or power, I guarantee they would be using them. If someone has an independent study that proves otherwise I would love to read it. Remember, the key word is "independent"
Old 06-06-13, 10:00 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Angry

I figured my post would result in some angry responses, haha. E3 plugs are a highly debated topic. Bring em on!
Old 06-06-13, 11:25 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I figured my post would result in some angry responses, haha. E3 plugs are a highly debated topic. Bring em on!
I'm not angry at all.
Old 06-08-13, 11:33 PM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

substantially.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Plugs will not substantially increase your MPG.
Old 06-09-13, 03:38 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex818
substantially.
Or at least measurable.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 06-09-13 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 07:11 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I really don't understand why we keep having this discussion. Plugs do not increase power or MPG. That is unless there is something wrong with the plugs that are installed."
The above is the key phrase in your paragraph, hence the reason spark plugs are changed at all. As the plugs get old, deteriorate and collect debris, they can have an effect on MPG and performance, so when changing them, one may notice a difference in both categories. This is the obvious reason the wanna be stock car stars change their plugs every week. When it comes to spark plugs, spark plug wires and sensors, I always go with OEM,
Old 06-09-13, 11:17 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by sixonemale
The above is the key phrase in your paragraph, hence the reason spark plugs are changed at all. As the plugs get old, deteriorate and collect debris, they can have an effect on MPG and performance, so when changing them, one may notice a difference in both categories. This is the obvious reason the wanna be stock car stars change their plugs every week. When it comes to spark plugs, spark plug wires and sensors, I always go with OEM,

Of course this is correct. I never said that you should not change spark plugs. My comments are made comparing two new plugs properly matched to the car. These claims made by the spark plug makers are what I am disputing, not if a spark plug can make a difference.