SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tein Flex Coilovers with EDFC- Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 09:38 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tein Flex Coilovers with EDFC- Thoughts?

Hi All;

I'm considering putting some Tein Flex Coilovers on my 2002 sc430. The ride is very bumpy and I suspect the shocks are about to go anyways.

It is my understanding that these coilovers are fully adjustable in terms ride height and dampening, and also reduces body role. And there is an EDFC computer that adjusts inside the car. Sounds very cool to me (expensive too).

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-13, 10:21 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've seen the Tein coilover setup with the EDFC in other cars (specifically an IS), and it's a very nice setup.

The EDFC is very cool.

If/when my shocks go, I'm planning on replacing factory shocks with the Tein/EDFC combo.

As for specific installation of this setup on an SC430; I know it's been done (by a few guys here), so I'll let them chime in and give their opinions.
Old 06-12-13, 10:23 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input!!
Old 06-12-13, 10:45 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
check the for sale 430sc on this forum there a complete setup
Old 06-12-13, 11:43 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
lex
check the for sale 430sc on this forum there a complete setup
Thanks- I saw that there is a sc430 being parted out, and there are some tein coolovers for sale for $1500. Is that what you were referring to? I can get these for 1800 new from SRT..
Old 06-12-13, 02:06 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok that's the one.
Old 06-13-13, 06:01 PM
Matthias
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them installed last fall in my 2002. The old suspension was just too soft. I like the setting and damping of the system quite a lot, brings it closer to a sports car feel. I also do use the EDFC, but less often than I thought. I had opted to have it not lowered but as the springs settled it got a little lower.

Make sure to have it installed by someone who knows what he is doing. Mine had messed up one of the wheel sensors and sometimes the VSC engages without any reason.
Old 06-14-13, 10:07 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Suspension was too soft???

Originally Posted by Matthias
I had them installed last fall in my 2002. The old suspension was just too soft. I like the setting and damping of the system quite a lot, brings it closer to a sports car feel. I also do use the EDFC, but less often than I thought. I had opted to have it not lowered but as the springs settled it got a little lower.

Make sure to have it installed by someone who knows what he is doing. Mine had messed up one of the wheel sensors and sometimes the VSC engages without any reason.
Hello,
Are you saying that the suspension in your car was too soft, and that's why you put the coilovers in? Do you have an sc430? Most people feel that the sc430 is an overly stiff car. My 2002 sc430 is super stiff, and I am looking to make it softer. Will the tein coilovers make the ride harsher???
Old 06-14-13, 10:12 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Suspension was too soft???

Originally Posted by Matthias

Hello,
Are you saying that the suspension in your car was too soft, and that's why you put the coilovers in? Do you have an sc430? Most people feel that the sc430 is an overly stiff car. My 2002 sc430 is super stiff, and I am looking to make it softer. Will the tein coilovers make the ride harsher???
Old 06-14-13, 05:31 PM
Matthias
Driver

Sorry but should have mentioned I had put the Tein in my SC430 of 2002. The suspension became somewhat stiffer although the softest setting you can choose with EDFC comes close to the softness a new SC430 should have. Your harsh ride maybe due to the tires, are you using still the run-flats? They are no fun, i have taken them off many years ago. Maybe try this first before.
Old 06-15-13, 07:19 PM
Alex818
Driver

i had the fully 30 way adjustable tein coilovers on my gs430. I bought them brand new paid $900. U can drop it super low and u can raise it up too however it's not something you would enjoy doing. To adjust the suspension youll have to jack each side, get underneat it and spin these 2 metal things using a tool that comes with the suspension kit. It's not that easy. Dampning adjustment is easy but no matter how i had the adjustment the car would still be a bit bouncy. Which you don't want when cornering fast and there is a dip / slight bump, your back can fishtail.

As far as softness, tein VS my stock on the gs430 was a world of difference. Stock is preffered if you want an enjoyable ride. Coming home tired with a headache after work I hated the coilovers. Aggressive driving, looks, coilovers were fun.

As far as for the SC430, you can get morgan coilovers brand new for $600. Fully adjustable. Not sure how good they are. My stock SC430 rides so harsh i take the audi a8L instead when i'm on a date. Or when its too hot to put the top down, the SC stays parked just because its such a rough ride. Again i'm not sure if this is because its the way it is or because the shocks and springs are bad however when these are bad they are not supposed to be harsh and firm instead they are supposed to be boucy (or so ive heard a dozen times).
Old 06-16-13, 02:05 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hi All;

I'm considering putting some Tein Flex Coilovers on my 2002 sc430. The ride is very bumpy and I suspect the shocks are about to go anyways.

It is my understanding that these coilovers are fully adjustable in terms ride height and dampening, and also reduces body role. And there is an EDFC computer that adjusts inside the car. Sounds very cool to me (expensive too).

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.
Ride is bumpy? What do you have for wheels and tires?

Both of my Sc430s ride on stock 18" wheels with non-run flat tires. With the run flat tires it was very bumpy. Now no longer.

JR
Old 06-16-13, 06:35 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

On bumpy/harsh rides to do with the suspension set up - note that from 2002 to 2004 (I think) the suspension set up was stiffer than for 2005 onwards. I read this somewhere perhaps on this forum that Lexus changed the stiffness of the stock suspension from 2005 onwards to address complaints of the jittery ride. Though the complaints probably had more to do with RFTs than the suspension set up per se.

But I can tell you there is a suspension difference between my 2005 and Mandyfig's 2004 ( or is it 2003 ?) cos we swapped cars for a run couple of years back and I felt his was pretty tight cornering whereas he felt mine had a lot of lean and suspension softness when cornering. We were both on RFTs at that time.