SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

hi im new and thanks ya all

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 09:18 PM
ajfromuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi im new and thanks ya all

hi im new here ..and after clublexus had helped me find my sc430 and know what to look for when buying it,,and answering many questions on ownership issuses ..i thought i better join and say thanks to everyone who makes this info available,,,, thanks guys
one thing i cant clear up no matter how much i search ..is how to fix the annoying door cliking
the one bolt behind plastic cover on body side isnt a torx40 its a bolt/philips and its tight
my 2 bolts on door side dont seem to be getting tight.. i dont want to strip them
the doors still clik seems to be in join in middle of door arm ........ help its so annoying
Old 07-21-13, 11:10 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the acquisition.

When does the noise occur?
Which door, driver or passenger?
If there are a couple of bolts not getting tight, it may be because there is a nut on the other side that isn't attached and so it spins. Can you be more specific as to where these two bolts are?
Old 07-22-13, 09:33 PM
ajfromuk
Driver School Candidate

thanx Harold hope you can help ive gotten so many answers searching but this is driveing me crazy the noise happens opening the door one side worse than other
its in the arm between door n body
Attached Thumbnails hi im new  and thanks ya all-20130722_192511.jpg  
Old 07-22-13, 09:46 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hi an welcome
Old 07-23-13, 09:12 AM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajfromuk
hi im new here ..and after clublexus had helped me find my sc430 and know what to look for when buying it,,and answering many questions on ownership issuses ..i thought i better join and say thanks to everyone who makes this info available,,,, thanks guys
one thing i cant clear up no matter how much i search ..is how to fix the annoying door cliking
the one bolt behind plastic cover on body side isnt a torx40 its a bolt/philips and its tight
my 2 bolts on door side dont seem to be getting tight.. i dont want to strip them
the doors still clik seems to be in join in middle of door arm ........ help its so annoying
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I have the same annoying clicking in the passenger door on my 2002. The main door hinges seem to be operating fine. The small arm is designed to limit the door from opening too far. It has holes at each end of the arm that are held with pins. One end disappears into a slot in the body and the other is attached to the door.

It seems as if the mounting hole in the arm on the door side has worn to an oblong shape, allowing the arm to shift on the pin. The action of opening the door pulls the arm which suddenly slips to one end of the oblong hole, making a clicking noise. The action of closing the door pushes the arm which suddenly slips to the other end of the oblong hole, making a clicking noise.

I have tried lubricating the arm and pin but the noise remains. One solution would be to replace the arm. While I am not opposed to that, I can't determine how to easily get inside the body to detach the arm on the body side. Also, the pin on the door side seems to be a permanent rivet which could be very difficult to remove (probably has to be drilled out). The second solution might be to force another object into the oblong hole along with the pin to prevent the arm from shifting on the pin.

I have the factory repair manual and when I get time I will review the door construction to see if I can determine how to disassemble the arm from the door and body.
Old 07-23-13, 11:13 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SC43052
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I have the same annoying clicking in the passenger door on my 2002. The main door hinges seem to be operating fine. The small arm is designed to limit the door from opening too far. It has holes at each end of the arm that are held with pins. One end disappears into a slot in the body and the other is attached to the door.

It seems as if the mounting hole in the arm on the door side has worn to an oblong shape, allowing the arm to shift on the pin. The action of opening the door pulls the arm which suddenly slips to one end of the oblong hole, making a clicking noise. The action of closing the door pushes the arm which suddenly slips to the other end of the oblong hole, making a clicking noise.

I have tried lubricating the arm and pin but the noise remains. One solution would be to replace the arm. While I am not opposed to that, I can't determine how to easily get inside the body to detach the arm on the body side. Also, the pin on the door side seems to be a permanent rivet which could be very difficult to remove (probably has to be drilled out). The second solution might be to force another object into the oblong hole along with the pin to prevent the arm from shifting on the pin.

I have the factory repair manual and when I get time I will review the door construction to see if I can determine how to disassemble the arm from the door and body.
Remove the pin and try putting a washer on it might help temp
Old 07-23-13, 09:18 PM
ajfromuk
Driver School Candidate

PLEASE HELP ANYONE ...........yes the join of the two arms in circle in the middle is where the cliking sound is comeing from looks like that pin may need dremmeled out and a bigger pin/ oversize bushing like a door hinge ?? i know that whole arm *** could be tricky to change may need to remoove door panel and other bolts who knows where in kick well........50k very disapointing from lexus ....add it to the list along with
noisy amp fan
squeeky leather seats/w backs that fall off
cliking doors
squeeks/bangs wen going over bumps
beautfull beautifull car but is no billion dollar ls400 imo just glad i didnt pay 65 large for it
Old 07-23-13, 10:03 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfromuk
PLEASE HELP ANYONE ...........yes the join of the two arms in circle in the middle is where the cliking sound is comeing from looks like that pin may need dremmeled out and a bigger pin/ oversize bushing like a door hinge ?? i know that whole arm *** could be tricky to change may need to remoove door panel and other bolts who knows where in kick well........50k very disapointing from lexus ....add it to the list along with
noisy amp fan
squeeky leather seats/w backs that fall off
cliking doors
squeeks/bangs wen going over bumps
beautfull beautifull car but is no billion dollar ls400 imo just glad i didnt pay 65 large for it
Wow! You might be one of a kind around here. It doesn't matter how many miles you have (well kind of) but how it was taken care of. Most of us feel the opposite of the way you do. I still remember the day I bought mine more than five years ago, unlike any car I have ever purchased. It was 9 pm on a weekday evening, where there was little traffic on the LAfreeway home, where it took about an hour to get home with the top down and fantastic weather. the funny thing is, that that feeling has never gone away. While the sc is known as being bullet proof, some of these cars are now more than a dozen years old and most of us are very protective of these machines. With the problems you've encountered with a Lexus that has only 50k miles on it, I suggest that it was either abused or was perhaps in an accident. I sink a lot of money into my sc, but fortunately it's only to improve comfort and looks and required repairs are very minimal. If you dislike it as much as you do, perhaps you should cut your loses and move on. If you got a "deal" when you negotiated, you may get out of it without a big loss. Sorry that you feel this way, but I'm been an sc owner and a part of this forum for more than five years and love having a place where to go to get opinions and ideas about these cars that we all love and protect. Thanks to this forum, I have luxlink, custom wheels from a member, led tails, backup camera, and a pioneer sound system that Lexus should of had by 2010! That sound system has Internet radio, nav that does much more, and is comparable to the electronics in luxury cars from the year 2014! And thanks to all those members who contributed. I have never kept a car very long, if i didnt enjoy it, but i wish you Good luck with whatever you do with your situation. If you can't get help from this group, you never will.
Old 07-24-13, 10:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Sorry, but this is one issue that I won't be able to help on. The suggestion to cut the old pin out and replace it with a larger one is promising, though that depends on where the extra room is located.
Can you move that arm up and down or does it wiggle horizontally? If up and down, then MrBlister's suggestion of adding a washer might help. If the movement is horizontal, then it partially depends on whether it wiggles orthogonal to the arm path or in-line with the arm path. If orthogonal, then if it can wiggle the entire path then the extra sized pin may work. If only in the direction of the arm path, then I'm not sure. If both, then the larger pin should definitely help.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-24-13, 04:03 PM
ajfromuk
Driver School Candidate

Default nobody ? nobody ? knows how to fix/replace

my car is 02 with 50th klms not miles lol.. and abused i dont think so .. and only accident its seen is a rock chip
im just saying beautiful car with a few annoying faults
i mean if mine clicks im sure alot more of them do out there
somebody must have replaced this door linkage thing
Old 07-30-13, 06:53 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Club Forum !

I just read this thread the other day and am hearing now the clicking on my passenger door too on my '04! Must be the power of suggestion. I can't hear it with the stereo on but I'll check it when I have a chance I guess.
Old 08-03-13, 04:51 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, glad to have you aboard!