Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good looking! Congrats.
Old 07-26-13, 05:27 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
Slvbullet-
I'm also in the Dulles airport corridor, are there any SC groups in this area? Thanks
There are a few. More every day. We should have a meet sometime. Lexbrett is in the area too.
Old 07-26-13, 05:43 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Well, I'm not too interested at this time in replacing the entire exhaust system, nor am I looking for big performance gains. Just wanting a little different sound and something that looks decent. I just bought an axleback system (basically a new muffler) off eBay and I'm looking forward to it's arrival. This is the equivalent to getting a slip-on/bolt-on muffler for a motorcycle, which is something I've seen done many times for a nicer look/sound and possible small to moderate performance gain. I'm also not interested in having to have someone else do my installation. This upgrade should be something I can handle on my own.

StillLine

Hmmmmmm.....looks restrictive.....
Old 07-26-13, 07:49 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Very good looking! Congrats.
Thanks SlvBullet. We'll see how it turns out. I figure for the price it's worth a shot.

Originally Posted by MrMark
Hmmmmmm.....looks restrictive.....
MrMark, as long as it's no more restrictive than the stock muffler, and I can't imagine it will be. Chances are it will be slightly less restrictive than stock, thus the resultant throatier exhaust note. At a minimum it will be substantially lighter than stock. I'm looking forward to finding out.

StillLine
Old 07-27-13, 05:38 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks SlvBullet. We'll see how it turns out. I figure for the price it's worth a shot.

MrMark, as long as it's no more restrictive than the stock muffler, and I can't imagine it will be. Chances are it will be slightly less restrictive than stock, thus the resultant throatier exhaust note. At a minimum it will be substantially lighter than stock. I'm looking forward to finding out.

StillLine

Can you take a clip so we can hear the exhaust......looking forward to hearing that bad boy !!
Old 07-29-13, 09:12 AM
fishkeeper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stillline, ive seen that on ebay and also a megan exhaust muffler similar to the pic you posted.im very interested in how that sounds and if anyone has the megan installed a sound clip would be appreciated..mmark your taste and price are out of my reach, I have a maintenace schedule coming up that looks to cost aboutn $2100.00 (90k).so this exhaust mod is something that I could do myself.
Old 07-30-13, 06:47 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw someone selling this on eBay but I was 5 minutes late and it was gone. Suppose just remove your existing muffler and install it..
I asked a muffler shop here in Austin and the guy told me will cost $100 to make and install... I am thinking about it.
Old 07-30-13, 01:21 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

StillLine, I have seen it in person. I went to Topspeed and ask to see it, it looks very well made and the only reason I did not buy it was because I don't know how it sound. There is a sound clip somewhere I heard once. But It was not a good enough clip for me to buy it. It is not expensive but I just don't want to end up with a giant paper weight in my garage later.

It is not hard to put it on but 2 persons would make it easier to install it.
Old 07-30-13, 07:44 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Default Plan on sound clip.

Originally Posted by MrMark
Can you take a clip so we can hear the exhaust......looking forward to hearing that bad boy !!
Originally Posted by fishkeeper
Stillline, ive seen that on ebay and also a megan exhaust muffler similar to the pic you posted.im very interested in how that sounds and if anyone has the megan installed a sound clip would be appreciated..mmark your taste and price are out of my reach, I have a maintenace schedule coming up that looks to cost aboutn $2100.00 (90k).so this exhaust mod is something that I could do myself.
The bolt-on exhaust will be delivered tomorrow. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get around to installing it and posting a sound clip, but it will be done. Your patience is appreciated.

Originally Posted by bb430
StillLine, I have seen it in person. I went to Topspeed and ask to see it, it looks very well made and the only reason I did not buy it was because I don't know how it sound. There is a sound clip somewhere I heard once. But It was not a good enough clip for me to buy it. It is not expensive but I just don't want to end up with a giant paper weight in my garage later.

It is not hard to put it on but 2 persons would make it easier to install it.
It certainly looks nice in the photos and I'm glad to hear you agree having seen it in person. I'll be super happy if it fits well, saves a few pounds, and gives me a bit of a snarl under heavy acceleration while remaining quiet under normal cruising. Like I mentioned earlier, I've sold many slip-on/bolt-on mufflers/exhaust systems for motorcycles to my customers who are looking for a nicer looking pipe and a different sound for their sportbike or cruiser. Pretty much the same principle applies to my SC in this situation.

StillLine
Old 08-09-13, 03:34 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Talking Sound Clip as promised

The bolt-on exhaust will be delivered tomorrow. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get around to installing it and posting a sound clip, but it will be done. Your patience is appreciated.

It certainly looks nice in the photos and I'm glad to hear you agree having seen it in person. I'll be super happy if it fits well, saves a few pounds, and gives me a bit of a snarl under heavy acceleration while remaining quiet under normal cruising. Like I mentioned earlier, I've sold many slip-on/bolt-on mufflers/exhaust systems for motorcycles to my customers who are looking for a nicer looking pipe and a different sound for their sportbike or cruiser. Pretty much the same principle applies to my SC in this situation.

StillLine
As promised, here's the requested sound clip. It sounds best on my desktop PC with the speakers and sub, as opposed to my laptop. FWIW, the stock muffler weighs 28.5 lbs and the newly installed system weighs 24.7 lbs for a weight savings of 3.8 lbs. This weight savings combined with the gain in horsepower has significantly improved my 0-60 time.

Enjoy!

StillLine

Old 08-14-13, 08:08 AM
fishkeeper
Driver School Candidate

That exhaust sound was awesome, can you post a step by step of removal and install instructions, as ive never attempted an install like that.would you say it was a difficult install for 1 person.thanks for posting the video
Old 08-16-13, 10:21 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fishkeeper
That exhaust sound was awesome, can you post a step by step of removal and install instructions, as ive never attempted an install like that.would you say it was a difficult install for 1 person.thanks for posting the video
Thanks fishkeeper! I'm glad I had help installing the new muffler. If I could get no-one to help me, I'd consider paying a local muffler shop $50 to install it. I had to use and air impact to get the four original bolts/nuts loose. The most difficult part was stretching the four rubber loops that suspend the muffler over the hooks attached to the car. Finally figured out that the easiest way to go was to bend the hooks down a few degrees and the loops came off easier. It helped to have someone pull the muffler the same direction as the loop I was trying to get off. Suspend the new muffler with the rubber loops and then bend the hooks back up. Get the tips level and then tighten the new bolts/nuts incrementally from side to side while having someone assure that the tips stay aligned. All said and done it would certainly be an easier install the second time around but I still wouldn't want to do it alone.

I'm definitely happy with the sound and so are the folks in Dallas who manufactured the muffler. They are now using my video on their eBay listing.

StillLine

Old 03-03-14, 01:37 PM
Bubblez
Driver School Candidate

I am new to the club. We recently bought a 2002 from a friend of mine. We really enjoy it but being in CT it is garaged for most of the winter. Browsing the forum I have already fixed a few things that needed a little attention. Great site and thanks to all you contributors!!!

Here is my exhaust tip question. The left tip is missing, the right tip is the original oem tip. I noticed the end of the tail pipe flares from ~2 1/2" to 3". Other than the eom tips, I don't see tips that easily fit the 3" inlet, 4" outlet and 5-6" length. Seems like a lot of the replacement tips have 2 1/2" inlets and are "long". Are people just cutting off the 3" flared section of tail pipe so they can attach their preferred tip or are there short 3" inlet tips that I just have not found yet? Looked at autoanything, mufflerman, drgas and a few other sites.

Thanks...
Old 04-02-14, 08:30 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Would be great to get some more "sound" uploaded on some of these great exhaust upgrades. I'm looking now to upgrade my 2005.

Couple questions. I had a SL600 a few years ago, and put on a Brabus muffler, and not much improvement... and then I took it to another shop and had them remove the resonator, and it was frigging awesome... you could hear the V12 from a 1/2 way, and not in a bad way. I could not believe how much the sound improved. A buddy of mine had a 911 and he was pissed how much better my car sounded over his 911... yeah, he'd beat me in a race... but mine sounded faster

So, has anyone removed the resonator in their exhaust upgrade on their SC ???
Old 04-02-14, 08:38 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I removed the 3rd cat the paired resonators, and then ran straight pipes back to the muffler. I love the sound! It's a deep, subtle growl and no Check Engine Lights. I actually get complimented quite often when I pull in for gas from onlookers who usually ask what I have under the hood.

Quick Reply: aftermarket exhaust