SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 04:10 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I removed the 3rd cat the paired resonators, and then ran straight pipes back to the muffler. I love the sound! It's a deep, subtle growl and no Check Engine Lights. I actually get complimented quite often when I pull in for gas from onlookers who usually ask what I have under the hood.
any sound clip
Old 04-04-14, 12:39 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Here's a link to a vid from a few minutes ago. Remember, if you do the 3rd cat delete you may or may not pass state inspection. Luckily, Oklahoma doesn't require inspections anymore. If your state does require inspection, there's always "questionable practice" shops. http://videobam.com/jkvQM

Ps. Sorry for the ads. Click "Close to Play," not the Play Arrow Button. Don't download iLivid.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-04-14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 12:42 PM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to a vid from a few minutes ago. Remember, if you do the 3rd cat delete you may or may not pass state inspection. Luckily, Oklahoma doesn't require inspections anymore. http://videobam.com/jkvQM

Ps. click "Close to Play," not the Play Arrow Button. Don't download iLivid.
Good point! I would like to do this, but I'm pretty sure California won't let that pass. I already deleted the resonators and the stock muffler.

What does it sound like when driving? I fear you get that awful drone noise :\
Old 04-04-14, 12:46 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

No drone noise at all. Just the deep growl all the time and on acceleration. That's why i went this route rather than any baffle tips, etc. I didn't want that ricer sound. Plus the total delete job was only $65.
Old 04-04-14, 04:26 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

slvbullet removed the stock res. and third cat replaced the res. with other HiPro res. no third cat. he gets the drone around 1800 he has the same mufflers dr gas as me. but I didn't remove my stock res. because of the drone. everybody that we know removes the stock res. gets the drone around 1800. you must be lucky. I think it has something to do with back pressure.

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-04-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-06-14, 09:07 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I am wondering if anyone has the stock OEM driver's side exhaust tip after their exhaust upgrade? I posted in the classified but thought I'd try here since there are a few members who've upgraded their stock exhaust and would throw in advice on this thread. Worth a try, I guess. I scratched mine up on a badly placed parking curb while reversing. I know I can buy from Sewell but then it would be new and the other won't match well. I looked into aftermarket tips but the 3.25" flange on the end of the exhaust is causing a problem. I'd prefer not to cut off the flange. Any suggestions or anyone have their discarded tip?
Old 04-06-14, 10:16 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
check out the Dr Gas tips I use the 21/4 tip on mine. Slvbullet use the 21/2 they are very nice tips.
Old 04-07-14, 11:54 AM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bacardi11
shawn
check out the Dr Gas tips I use the 21/4 tip on mine. Slvbullet use the 21/2 they are very nice tips.
So these would fit without cutting the tailpipe?
Old 05-07-14, 08:34 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did a muffler delete yesterday. Really love the sound. Cost me $200 with tips (a bit pricy). I had a set of pipes custom bent with flanges, just in case wife disapprove, I can put back the muffler.
I want to thank all those contributed to all the sound clips so that I was able to make a decision on this instead of getting different muffler. My neighbor has a Dodge Challenger R/T and a Camero SS, they are still louder then me at idle. Which is exactly what I was looking for, and mine sounded deeper then them.
I will try to do a sound clip later. I drove at different speed this morning and did not find any drone at any speed range, only a bit of tone with all window closed and no music on. With windows all down going under an overpass, it really sounded great. Overall, if you really want some V8 sound and NOT annoyed, this is a way to go.
Old 05-08-14, 03:53 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I did an electric cut out this week took out the third cat and replaced with the cut out.. man it is loud!!! (muscle car) .. then quiet when i want it to be.. i love it..
Old 10-23-15, 03:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Here's a link to a vid from a few minutes ago. Remember, if you do the 3rd cat delete you may or may not pass state inspection. Luckily, Oklahoma doesn't require inspections anymore. If your state does require inspection, there's always "questionable practice" shops. http://videobam.com/jkvQM

Ps. Sorry for the ads. Click "Close to Play," not the Play Arrow Button. Don't download iLivid.
Shawn, I found your link for your video but it is all spam crap. Can you repost the video on YouTube?

I am going to have the third cat and resonators removed this morning...
Old 10-23-15, 08:49 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Well I was going to run out and do it but I just read your other post that you've already completed the 3rd cat and resonator delete. Your video sounds right on, just like mine. It's a great sound right for such a low cost. Not sure how much they charged you in the end, hopefully something more realistic than the $200. Mine was $60 at a neighborhood muffler shop. Anyway, hope it's all that you dreamed it would be!

Last edited by ShawnOk; 10-23-15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 09:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Well I was going to run out and do it but I just read your other post that you've already completed the 3rd cat and resonator delete. Your video sounds right on, just like mine. It's a great sound right for such a low cost. Not sure how much they charged you in the end, hopefully something more realistic than the $200. Mine was $60 at a neighborhood muffler shop. Anyway, hope it's all that you dreamed it would be!
I does sound really good! Thanks for being the explorer...and yes, $200, but much cheaper than a magnaflow plus labor.
I checked several places and I guess steel must cost more in central Florida, LoL
Really, I have no issues with the cost, yes $60 would have been much nicer...oh well ;-)
Old 10-24-15, 05:33 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

We've done a bunch of the 430 motors with just a muffler delete. We are working on doing 2 sc430's right now. Sounds pretty good. We aren't looking to gain crazy performance...just a little rumble. I deleted the mufflers on my LS460 when i had to put different tips because my body kit doesn't use the stock tips. That thing sounds beastly. I'll be doing mine this week once it comes out of paint.
Old 10-25-15, 02:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lbintab
We've done a bunch of the 430 motors with just a muffler delete. We are working on doing 2 sc430's right now. Sounds pretty good. We aren't looking to gain crazy performance...just a little rumble. I deleted the mufflers on my LS460 when i had to put different tips because my body kit doesn't use the stock tips. That thing sounds beastly. I'll be doing mine this week once it comes out of paint.
Would you mind posting a before and after video so we can all enjoy your work?
I would like to hear the sound of your car with all of the emissions in place but no muffler. Does your car have resonators?

Quick Reply: aftermarket exhaust