SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone Install Sirius in their SC430 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 04:49 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone Install Sirius in their SC430 yet?

I just finished installed Sirius in my winter car and plan on putting the same unit in my SC430 in spring and am just wondering if anyone else has put Sirius in theirs yet? I've seen the XM posts for antenna ideas but nothing on Sirius as of yet...
Old 01-13-03, 11:35 PM
dubl59zy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any reason to believe that the advice would be appreciably different? I recently installed Sirius in my 'vette, and will probably do it in my SC400 soon. The picture of the XM antenna looked identical to my Sirius antenna.

Why, BTW, are you going with Sirius? I wanted NPR, although I haven't listened to it much yet (upstate NY isn't good 'vette country at the moment <g>).
Old 01-14-03, 12:24 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default well....

I saw a lot of install photos of XM units and they are different for Sirius so I was hoping to see photos of Sirius units in SC430s is all...

..I went with Sirius because I felt that If I am paying a monthly fee, I want 100% commercial free stations... I just couldn't see paying a fee AND listen to commercials...

...and I like Kenwood.... and have been happy with Kenwood in the past.. so since Kenwood teamed up with Sirius... ...e'nuf said....

..BTW: I like the brushed stainless steel controller of the Kenwood unit ..and am hoping it will fit in the SC430 ash tray...

...but alas, I must wait until my b-day before I get Sirius for my SC430..... ...so it will be a while and hopefully someone else will have done an install before then...
Old 01-14-03, 08:59 AM
dubl59zy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read a few things by people trying to push Sirius to adopt commercials, since they don't think the service will survive without them. I hope that's incorrect, even though to date I've rarely listened to anything but ESPN radio and NPR, which, of course, each have the same policy towards commercials on Sirius as over the air.

FWIW, I'm really not happy at all with the resultiing look of the Kenwood head unit (I think that's what they're called), and I'm very glad that I tried experimenting with the mediocre Corvette interior before touching the elegant Lexus interior. (The fact that the Corvette's interior is so lousy was the entire reason for installing in it there first...I really need the reception in the Lexus much more.)

The 'vette and the Lexus has the ashtray/cigarette lighter configuration (underneath a door under the radio). I had hoped to install the head unit under the door, but there wasn't enough room (without performing more major surgery on the ash tray), so we mounted in on a new false panel that replaced the door. It clashes with the rest of hte interior, and would clash even worse in the Lexus. If I can't get in to fit underneath that door in the Lexus, I'll have it strung into the center concole and will just take it out to change stations.

Also, FWIW, I find the Kenwood head unit that I have impossibly confusing to work with, and the manual that came with it included instructions for about a dozen different units, <i>but not the one I have!</i>

Other than that, I'm really quite happy with the service (noting that I've rarely used it since I rarely have occasion to drive the Corvette in Albany, NY, especially this year, where it has snowed every day for two weeks).
Old 01-14-03, 05:54 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default o.k.

which model Kenwood are you talking about? ...because I happen to think the brushed stainless steel on my Kenwood will match the SC430 interior very well....

...it sure matches my winter car great!
Old 01-14-03, 05:55 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

...and I find my Kenwood unit extremely easy to use.. very intuitive and basic easy-to-use without even reading the 4 pages of instructions...

..so maybe you have a different unit?