SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 12:33 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help camera

Dear friends. I recently almost clipped a bike in my blind spot on TWO separate occasions, I believe I need to invest on a backup camera but I don't even know where to start. I have read the threads about Naviks, but the installation seems tedious. I have also seen some cameras on amazon and eBay, but I don't know how to choose. Please comment and suggestions are very much appreciated!
Old 08-17-13, 05:20 AM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any simple two wire or wireless solutions for this ?
Old 08-17-13, 06:39 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

A backup camera won't show you the blind spot, which is the area to the right of the car behind the window (generally to the right of your right rear tire). That's why we look by turning our heads before pulling over into the lane to our right. We do that all the time, don't we?
Retrofitting a car with a backup camera is complex, expensive, and not generally cost-justified, especially in smaller cars.
My suggestion: forget the camera, look more carefully, and get a well made (not the $2.00 cheap ones) convex stick on mirror for each outside mirror. I have one on each side of each of my cars, and they help a lot.
Old 08-17-13, 07:53 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Set correctly, you can pretty much eliminate blind spots on the SC with the side mirrors. Unfortunately, most drivers were taught in driver's ed to set them so that they can see a sliver of their own car. While that does provide a reference point of sorts, that is a sure way to create blind spots.

Here's a cut/paste from AAA as to the "new" way to set mirrors. I've tried it and can say that in the SC, there are no blind spots using this method. Any car is either in the rear view mirror, side view mirror, or your peripheral vision. Check it out!

Good visual search habits require proper positioning and use of mirrors located inside and outside a vehicle. Using the settings below, you can see what is directly behind your vehicle with the inside mirror, and you can see directly into spaces adjacent to each of the vehicle’s rear corners by using the side mirrors. Mirrors are intended for detection and not for gathering detailed information.

The inside mirror

Adjust the inside mirror so you can see the entire rear window from the driver's seat. You should have to move only your eyes, not your head, when using this mirror.

Side-view mirrors
To adjust the driver's side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirrors right side.

To adjust the passenger's side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console. Set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the left side of the mirror. If the vehicle is not equipped with remove mirror-adjustment controls, you may need assistance when adjusting this mirror.

With these settings, you will have almost seamless visual contact around your vehicle, which can help you detect the presence of nearby roadway users. For example, when being passed by a vehicle in the lane to your left, you will see it progress from the rearview mirror, to the left side mirror and then to your side vision.
Old 08-17-13, 01:06 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Set correctly, you can pretty much eliminate blind spots on the SC with the side mirrors. ....
Absolutely. I've never had a problem and I live in a two college town with lots of bikes and motorcycles. Never had a problem. Great advice from the AAA guidelines on setting a mirror too man! I ran right out and did mine. Improved. Thanks.