SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sprint Booster Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-13, 08:32 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Sprint Booster Review

Hey everyone, I recently ordered and received my Sprint Booster. I ordered it though Ebay about a week and half ago and installed and just wanted to throw up a review of my thoughts on it. First and foremost, the Sprint Booster costs about $300 from Ebay. Installation was easy and didn't require any specialized tools; simple plug and play. It includes the "jumper" unit which attaches to our stock harness and also includes a push button LED remote. As for the performance, I'm not sure of the finalized results in terms of horse power or performance gain, but I will say that my car feels much faster when set in either sport or aggressive modes. You can clearly see the RPM's even at idle increase when the unit is on. It does have an off position which will allow it to return to the stock acceleration for that smooth Lexus OEM feel.

As for the the mechanism in which it works, I will say as explained on many threads on this forum that it seems to readjust the throttle sensitivity. My car now literally launches off the line. This is just as similar, as explained in other posts, as fully pressing the accelerator. I feel that's only partially true b'c the accelerator is more sensitive to smaller amounts of pressure but I also feel that the Sprint Booster pulls more horsepower off the line.

As for the negatives, I would say that the price is the largest deterrent. I feel that the retail price is a quite high for the product, but it does make my car feel like a different vehicle. Friends that have been in my car before and after the install, say it now accelerates more aggressively, similar to BMW's aggressive launch style. The second negative I can specify would be the decrease in MPG. Naturally, as you can imagine, more aggressive driving mean more fuel consumption especially in the lower RPMs. So in retrospect and after about a week of use, I would say that this product, at this retail price is more of a luxury modification. I feel that if the cost was around $175-200, it would have been a truly justified purchase. Anyway, hope this little review helps. Any questions of comments, please feel free to post. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Sprint Booster Review-img_1606.jpg   Sprint Booster Review-img_1608.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 08-17-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 01:09 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the booster stops that Lag. I know the cost, but no more lag. no HP gain but feels better.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-18-13 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 04:20 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have been debating this, as the lag is very annoying. Especially cornering. I never know when to hit the gas so that at the apex the power is winding up. It is like changing your aim off the tee so that your slice golf swing ends up in the fairway. Try your best, but you never really know what is going to happen.

One question. Is this the unit that stays at the last setting, or do you have to turn it on every time?
Old 08-18-13, 08:37 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
Thanks for the review. I have been debating this, as the lag is very annoying. Especially cornering. I never know when to hit the gas so that at the apex the power is winding up. It is like changing your aim off the tee so that your slice golf swing ends up in the fairway. Try your best, but you never really know what is going to happen.

One question. Is this the unit that stays at the last setting, or do you have to turn it on every time?
Yes, lag was very annoying to me too, at cornering and merging I simply lower the gear from D to the 4th and then back to D. I feel similar to having 'Sprint Booster' on demand without installing for $300. Try it and tell me how U feel?
Old 08-18-13, 08:41 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud

Well I agree. The lag is definitely gone now. It definitely feels more aggressive. If the VSC is off, Power is on, and its in AGGRESSIVE Mode, I seriously burn tread at stop lights. I have yet to take her out to any wide open areas to test serious corning, but I would def say that as it stands right now, it would seriously power through turns.

As for your question: The mode in which you turn off the ignition will be the mode that is engaged when you start the car again. Also, as the instructions explained, you can set the unit to whichever program you'd like with the remote and then disconnect the remote. Your selection will remain locked into the computer. I have yet to test this feature, but I prefer to be able to select the program when I need it. I like to keep it in OFF mode for normal driving (saves gas), but when I'm at at the line with some snotty little BMW I like to drop it into AGGRESSIVE mode.
Old 08-18-13, 08:47 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prasha
Yes, lag was very annoying to me too, at cornering and merging I simply lower the gear from D to the 4th and then back to D. I feel similar to having 'Sprint Booster' on demand without installing for $300. Try it and tell me how U feel?
Wouldn't that technique be more likely to damage your engine or transmission?
Old 08-18-13, 10:40 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Wouldn't that technique be more likely to damage your engine or transmission?
I don't think so, in both cases the engine RPM goes higher, lower gear may actually prevent transmission damage, but experts here can debate which(if) technique is likely to damage more.....

Last edited by Prasha; 08-18-13 at 10:48 PM.