SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Real Performance Upgrades and ECU Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 12:59 PM
byrnech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Performance Upgrades and ECU Tuning?

I'm curious about doing major upgrades to the SC430, this would be something down the line but I am very capable with a grinder and am well versed in port velocity and proper short turn of cylinder heads and the like. I think there could be some nice hp gains in going through one of these motors. I have tried to do some research on tuning the ECU on these and haven't found anything. The intake setups seem to keep the same diameter around the mass air sensor so that you don't need to do computer tuning, but that kind of defeats the purpose of higher flow if it's the same diameter. Also I haven't seen anything on what can be achieved through machining the engine as far as how much you can overbore them. I am used to doing american V8 type builds and I know everything can be carried over in theory but to what extent I don't know. Also with the exhaust I think there is room to do a true dual setup 2.5" all the way out with an x-pipe setup. I am seeing an intake mainifold on ebay and it lists it as working for the SC400 and SC430, is this true that it is the same intake manifold? I have heard of the cams, but can't find any duration or lift specs. I think that I could get around 400 or so out of the motor by doing a lot of what I listed above but it would be dependant on being able to spin the thing higher than factory ECU tune allows, I think it is crazy that the motor being a dual overhead cam setup makes peak power at only 5600 RPM. This thing should be spinning more like 7000-7500 RPM. Also I would need bigger injectors and larger inlet tubing that would change how the mass air element reads the airflow through it also if there is a way to delete the cats without getting CEL all the time. The more I write the more it seems like not such a good idea, or that maybe doing a LS swap would be better. Either way I am still curious for any input of my questions. Thanks, -Chris
Old 08-21-13, 02:04 PM
byrnech
Driver School Candidate

I found specs on some reground camshafts from Lextreme which lists all thier specs at total duration and not @ .050 lift (at least I'm assuming) so it doesn't really give you a good idea of whats really going on. The lift increases from .315" to .385" and .070" more lift is not that extreme to me though I don't base camshafts off lift but duration. The duration is listed stock at 250 degrees and 274 degrees for thier regrinds now while 24 degrees more duration is significant at .050" lift it is deceptive at total and not a good indicator of what the camshafts will do. They also go on to say that the stock valves could cause interferance but thier oversized valves will clear, how does that make sense? Bigger valves equal less clearance because the radial area increases. I sent an email asking them some simple questions, we will see if and how they answer. -Chris
Old 08-21-13, 06:05 PM
byrnech
Driver School Candidate

Nevermind, I'm off from school for a week and obviously too bored. The more I look into it the more it is simply not feasable/reasonable to do this type of modifications. Probably the reason you don't really see anybody doing these mods. If I do anything it would probably be suspension and wheels related. Possibly a drop in K&N filter and maybe remove the resonators with straight pipe for a little extra sound.
Old 08-22-13, 07:24 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

now your getting smart. enjoy your car.