SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Steering Alignments

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 10:12 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Alignments

Has anyone have problems or complaints about the steering alignments??
My SC430 drives very well, but sometimes pulls to the right or left, and is not very straight on the roads. I'm not sure if we got an alignment or not, but when ever the delearship does an alignment, the steering is never perfect as it was when it comes from the factory for any car. On the highway, car veers left to right, so its very confusing as to which direction the steering needs to be aligned to. This is making my dad, brother, and everyone else in my family fustrated. The car should have a strong and good accurate steering even on straight roads.

Let me know if anyone else is having problems with steering system and alignments.

Dave
Old 01-15-03, 08:41 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had similar complaints and I've had alignment problems too. I'll offer the following observations:

1. Cars with wide tires tend to "search & dart", especially on uneven pavement.
2. I had an alignment problem from the factory. When they fixed the alignment (under warranty), the drifting on the highway deminished a little.
3. When I switched to non-runflat tires, it improved even more.

I would tell your dealer what the problem is and have them check the alignment.
Old 01-20-03, 10:43 AM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment Problem from Factory

from joeyb:

"2. I had an alignment problem from the factory. When they fixed the alignment (under warranty), the drifting on the highway deminished a little."

I went in for 5,000 mile service at the end of December and they said I had an alignment problem too. After they were done, the service manager said the tech noticed uneven tire wear when he rotated the tires and that the ride was a little loud when he test drove. I thought the ride was louder than when I first got it, but I didn't know if that was my imagination. The manager said that they would just let me drive the car the way it is to 10,000 miles and then probably align it and give me new tires under warranty. I was very impressed that they were so honest with this since I made no comments about the ride or tires.

Robert
Old 05-22-03, 05:32 AM
mjc99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine in right now for tire issue

My car is in as we "speak" for tire issues. Every morning it feels as though there is a flat spot on one or more tires until the tires warm up. In colder weather it can be pretty extreme (tire feels square).
This issue was identified to me when I picked up the car, but the car was warm then and I couldn't feel it. Some BS about sitting on the boat for a few weeks in transit resulting in a "temporary" flat spot.
The dealer has made an initial indication that it is not covered under the lexus warranty but under the tire warranty. I "politely" informed her that I bought a car from lexus, not tires from bridgestone, and that the car was delivered with the problem. They have another car in at this time with the same problem.
I've told the dealer that even though I was forced to pay extra for these tires, I'd be willing to take non-runflats in exchange.
If the dealer does not fix it, i'm going directly to lexus.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Mark
Old 05-22-03, 07:21 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark ...

Elsewhere in this forum I mentioned that my new non-RFs (Goodyear Eagle F1's) do the same thing, but the original runflats never did. I was told by Tirerack that this was normal for some high performance tires. After sitting for a couple of days, I get a significant wobble during the first four or five miles, then it's dead-on.

BTW - what a relief these non-RFs are. I no longer cringe when I'm about to encounter a road aberration larger than a dime.
Old 05-22-03, 06:11 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Cringe

Hate the cringe !!
Old 05-23-03, 05:19 PM
mjc99
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on "flat spot" issue

I'm sorry for keeping this thread going in what appears to be the wrong thread but here goes.

The Lexus dealer is claiming that this (flat spot that develops overnight) is normal for "high performance" z-rated tires. My response was that I couldn't find that mentioned anywhere in the sales materials or in any information provided by the Tire manufacturer (Bridgestone). If I had, I wouldn't have paid extra for the tires. I also questioned why they put 100 miles on my car (a special order) trying to diagnose and fix the "problem" before delivery if this was normal for these tires. No answer. They also claim that this is an "industry wide" issue. My response was that it sounds like marketing spin on a quality issue. I told them that I would take a set of non-runflats in place of the current tires despite the fact that i paid $400 extra for the RFs. Response was that I would have the same issue.
I was twice told that this was the message from Lexus corporate, but when I asked for the name of the person they spoke with, it was never given. The service manager keeps asking me for solution suggestions. I want replacement tires. Is there some magic phrase I need to say to get them to admit the problem and act on it?

My view is that the car was delivered with defective equipment and should be repaired or replaced. I got the car in Feb and the problem has existed from day 1. In cold weather, the problem is extreme and I feel the car is unsafe. My car is back on Tuesday (waiting on a part for another minor repair) after which I will take my discussion directly to Lexus rather than the dealer.

I'd appreciate any other views...maybe even a poll on who has a "flat spot" issue with the run flats.

thanks,
Mark
Old 05-23-03, 07:39 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default njc99

I purchased my 03 SC 430 in January and it had the Bridgestone RF's. My car sat for most of the winter in the garage, weeks at a time and I have not had any problems with flat spots when first driving the car.
I would take my complaint to Lexus Customer Satisfaction. I have found dealers are very responsive to complaints filed through Customer Satisfaction Department. I would just state to Lexus that the dealer is not responsive and your problem is NOT normal and you want new tires.
Best of luck.
Ron
Old 05-24-03, 08:41 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW ....

My runflats sat in the same spot for two winters in a row and never developed the flat spots that cause the wobble. My new non-runflats sit for two *days* in the *summer* and do develop the flat spots. After the coming winter with these non-RFs, my SC will probably ride like the Abilene-Fort Worth stagecoach.
Old 05-24-03, 06:51 PM
billh556
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recent Bridgestones with flat spots

I noticed this thread and found it interesting, given my experience with z-rated tires on 17" rims on my GS400. The car came with Bridgestone RE030 tires, which were replaced by Micehlin XGT-Z Sport z-rated tires at 6000 miles under warranty. Niether of these 2 low-profile z-rated tires ever had a moment of flat-spot problems - summer or winter. They were both noisy, but never out of round to any perceptible degree.

I recently replaced the Michelins with a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z tires. Same 235/45 17 size. They are wonderfully quiet, which is what I bought them for. Makes it seem like a different car. But..... they get flat spots after sitting for a few hours, much less overnight. This is much worse in cold weather than warm, but it never gets colder than mid-30's where I live...... and when it does, these tires thump like mad for a few miles, then smooth out. I wouldn't want to know what they'd feel like if the car sat overnight in truly cold weather.

I was fascinated to read about this with other tires as well, since both the original Bridgestones and the Michelins on my car never had any ill effect from sitting. I thought this was a trait of the LS-Zs because they are a touring tire in a low-profile application. You know, built for quiet and comfort (which they deliver wonderfully), but with sidewalls so soft they get out of round when sitting. Yet, you guys seem to have the problem with run-flats, so maybe it's something about Bridgestone's recent technology that's affecting this issue....