SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 11:01 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake

I just purchased a Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake with the RamAir Kit. I will be installing it today and will provide photos as well as updates and reviews as things progress. I plan to trim down the pipe (at a local muffler shop) to allow me to retain the OEM airscoop, which I will later modify to give more cold air access and possibly a proper airbox using the previous OEM box. I will keep this thread updated as things come together. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-04-13, 08:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Post pics of the hardware for now...
Old 09-05-13, 10:13 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Post pics of the hardware for now...
Oh no, I'm sorry. I didn't think about taking a photo of the hardware and I already installed it. Here's some stock photos. The entire kit included all the hardware, gaskets, sleeves, hoses and clips. Instructions were horrible, though. I've taken photos of how I've got mine setup and will post those soon. No check engine lights, yet. Fingers crossed. Install photos to come soon. As I said, I want to "workshop" it a little bit to keep the engine looking stock, but also to cut a few inches off the pipe to allow me to retain a modified OEM air scoop and filter box. As it stands, b'c the length of the pipe, the filter is right up against the wheel well and there's no way to attach the ram air kit. Also, the OEM Mass Air Flow Sensor fit perfectly without any adaptation. I couldn't' find where to put the mounting brackets or the rubber stops. Oh well. The car does sound more aggressive on acceleration. The kit included:
- Short Ram Pipe
- 2 x 3" gaskets
- 4 adjustable rings
- Weapon R Cone Filter
- 2 x Mounting Brackets
- 2 Rubber stops
- 3' rubber gasket hose (must be cut for individual lengths)
- Ram Air Kit (PVC Bendy pipe, External Nozzle Fitting, 2 Spring Collars)
- Filter cleaning fluid
- Instructions (horrible)
- Stickers
Attached Thumbnails Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-305-137-101.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-showproductimage.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-05-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 12:42 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.

I am thinking about making that separator panel between the engine and the intake. You thinking about that too? If so, lets make a pattern and share.
Old 09-05-13, 08:03 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
Interesting.

I am thinking about making that separator panel between the engine and the intake. You thinking about that too? If so, lets make a pattern and share.
Well currently my plan is to cut off about an inch from the inlet which will move the entire pipe closer to the engine, opening more space near the radiator. Then I plan on cutting a hole into the bottom half of the stock filter housing so the pipe would be able to sit within it and then I would use the OEM air scoop just as normal. I will have some photos and a possible mock up soon. The most important part of my project would be having my exhaust guy cut off the inch or so to make sure it won't mess anything up in terms of starving the engine of oxygen and detrimental damage. I guess I'm still in the planning phase until I get back to Oklahoma to meet with my exhaust guy. If you have any plans already in the works, let me know.
Old 09-05-13, 08:48 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Here are a couple of photos from the install.
Attached Thumbnails Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130904_181813_626.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130904_184646_146.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130905_085601_902.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130905_085620_386.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130905_085631_682.jpg  

Old 09-06-13, 07:53 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Now I'll start on the modification of the scoop, channel, and filter box. I also plan to create a modified air resonator chamber that sits on the left side of the engine since I don't like the look of all the exposed hoses.
Attached Thumbnails Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130906_092639_967.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130906_092647_995.jpg  
Old 09-06-13, 01:00 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds interesting. Look forward to see how it comes out.
Old 09-21-13, 05:05 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So as it stands I was able to route the hose for the RamAir Kit that came with the Weapon R intake as well as keep the OEM factory Air Scoop. It wasn't NECESSARY to cut anything as of yet. I did, however, CHOOSE to cut the air resonator chamber b'c I didn't like how much of the actual engine was exposed on the passenger side (see my earlier pics). As you can see in the 2nd photo with the blue arrows, I cut off the OEM intake off the resonator chamber and just ran the hoses below it. In the future I will find a way to cap the two cut air passages of the chamber. As you will see from the other photos, I ran the hose through the small gap near the passenger headlight (which was no easy task) and down to the front pan. There is an official exterior port as provided by Weapon R, but I have yet to install it. The hose is not visible under the car though until you actually get under the bumper. Lastly, as you can see I have installed the airscoop which fits with the intake pipe in place with some effort. As you can see, with some strength, it is possible to keep both the intake pipe and the Air Scoop and still allow the hood to close properly and double the cold air flow. Next project will be to mod the OEM lower air filter box to create a heat shield and channel more cold air into the intake (if I'm not satisfied with these results). So far, no Check Engine Lights or anything. Finger's crossed.

In terms of performance, I will say that my city MPG's have increased from about 17mpg's to 20mpg's (in dash caluculator- if accurate). As for highway, I'm unsure b'c as I travelled up to Chicago I was getting 33mpg's (also according to the dash calculator), but I was riding much heavier (New rim, lots of car parts, lots of heavy books) on the way back and thus only pulling (25mpg). As for HP gains, I'm unsure as I don't have a base reading or a place to test my HP (dyno). The sound on acceleration is great, although I'm sure only I can tell the difference. I've also installed SprintBooster's Electronic Throttle Control so the elimination of the initial lag of acceleration and high RPM's really make the intake come to life. The normal onlooker wouldn't truly be able to guess that I had a CAI at idle though. Anyway, food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130921_181442_411.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130921_181538_588.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130921_181331_553.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130921_181557_281.jpg   Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake-img_20130921_181405_145.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-21-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 06:59 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone do a comparison between the WR and SRT intakes? Trying to decide if the chambered in compartment filter with ECU box is better than a cold air setup without ECU box.
Old 09-23-13, 10:37 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrMark
Anyone do a comparison between the WR and SRT intakes? Trying to decide if the chambered in compartment filter with ECU box is better than a cold air setup without ECU box.
I didn't do a comparison in terms of gains, I tried to compare the WR, SRT, and Injen intake systems on basis of price and easier modification since I wanted to try to retain the OEM parts to some aspect. I felt that the degree of bend on the Injen inlet was too great for me to retain the airscoop and/or filter box. Which is why I tried to indicate with the photos in this thread that it is possible to have the intake and the OEM airscoop to channel cold air. As for SRT, I couldn't justify the price in comparison with Weapon R and the free RamAir vs SRT. But that's just my decision making process in the issue.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-25-13 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 07:09 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job! Would have been interesting to have the before and after dynos ... I always like to see the numbers ...
Old 11-08-15, 01:17 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried installing mine last night and had issues getting the silicone coupler (that joins the intake pipe and throttle body) to mount on the throttle body. It would not fit, and I did not want to push my luck thinking that I have a newer model and maybe a bigger throttle body. The only difference really, is that an extra sensor is not used, so one less hose (compared to 05 and under), and as a result I have to plug one of the nipples on the Weapon R pipe.

I am running by Autozone today to get some better fitting hose that wont fall off the PCV valve nipple. I also thought about bypassing the hose that feeds hot air from the engine back to the intake - I know that's a no no, and would have to re-install it around smog time, but I am trying to keep the air as cool as possible.

Anything else you recommend before I go at it again today? I want to get this on before I go back to work tomorrow. Thanks guys!!
Old 11-08-15, 07:23 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Very strange. My kit went onto my 2002 without any issue. Coupler was exactly the right size. I wasn't exactly sure where to run the three extra hoses so I did my best guess off of photos I found on this site. I hope you're able to sort out the issues you're having. In the end, I think you will really enjoy the intake and the sound, for sure. As a recommendation, I'm sure you've already done this but clean the MAF and the throttle body before installation to give you a clean running setup.
Old 11-08-15, 10:54 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally got the coupler over the throttle body, just did it with the engine warm so it went on easier. I guess I stopped the install the day before over a false alarm. The pipe is too long.. if it was a little shorter it would fit much better, but as of now there is not even the least bit of room to attach the ram air hose on to the filter. Also did not like how the MAF is now facing towards the front of the car, which meant I had to cut some of the wire loom loose to allow more play in the MAF harness. I extensively cleaned the throttle body, mass air sensor, and harness connectors, and applied di-electric grease to the connections. My engine is dirty and will be detailing it soon, but will get some pics as it currently stands by tomorrow night, and hopefully a small video of how it sounds if I have enough time.

Got the intake on completely now and I had let it idle for a while. CEL turned on immediately when I turned on the car, so I let it warm up and can hear the intake humming quietly with a loud sucking, and then revved the engine, and it sounds good! Turned off the car and unplugged battery.. Came back 30 mins later, plugged in battery and started car (on the second try) and no more CEL and idle real low, but adjusted within seconds to right where it should be! I let it warm back up a bit and made sure the CEL stayed off, and then took it for short trip to pick up food.. Right when I pulled it out of garage and hit the gas was when I realized how loud this intake is It will be fun driving to work tomorrow morning, and I will have to watch it a little more now so I don't get into trouble!

Its relatively quiet when your easy on the gas, but sounds absolutely wicked when you get on it. Obviously its much louder when you are driving the car versus having it just sit there and rev it.

Next weekend is an exhaust mod.. I will take this weapon R pipe off when I am at exhaust shop and will have the guy take an inch or two off the pipe so it will fit much better. In the future I think I am going to go with a 3" or 4" K&N filter and build a small air box around it. I am starting to really have fun with this car !!

An added bonus - I just found a Mituboshi Timing Belt sticker when working on the engine, and it was changed at 96k miles, while I currently have 118k miles.. I am still going to check on the belt to make sure it looks good. It does not look too hard to pop one of the covers off to check. I am hoping the water pump, tensioner, and pulleys were done as well, but seeing as how well the car appeared to be maintained (with super clean fluids as well), I am pretty sure that the previous owner opted for a full timing kit install.

Quick Reply: Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake