SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Missed a great deal? :( what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 01:42 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Missed a great deal? :( what do you think?

Hey guys,

so recently I saw an 06 Lexus sc430 pebble beach edition in a color that I absolulety adore except the interior color wasnt my favorite but I guess it suit the car. It was only gone 30,000 miles.. Absolutely mint condition.. was going for 30,999$ .. I put up my SC for sale right away but unfortunately that car was sold a week later I think I missed a really good deal what do you guys think? I dont have the actual pics but below is what it looked like. Any how it was the nicest one on trader and the other good ones are in 40's.. .. My Sc is gone bout 80k miles but its black with cinnamon interior which is my favorite aside from white with red. I want to change suspension and alot of other stuff but I want to get something with lower mileage if im going to do all that so i can keep the car long cuz mods dont bring any money back when reselling. not sure if ill find a deal like that again

Missed a great deal? :( what do you think?-63968785.jpg

Missed a great deal? :( what do you think?-131680370_jlxtgyv8.jpg
Old 09-20-13, 03:55 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on it's history. May have been wrecked, etc. If truly a garage queen, yeah, I think you screwed up! That's a nice color and a good price!
Old 09-20-13, 07:46 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming there's nothing seriously wrong with your current SC, you might be going about upgrading the wrong way.

For less than you would lose in trading up, you could buy a full body kit, high-end wheels, coilovers, 06+ headlights / taillights and upgrade your audio system.

There's no reason you can't get over 200,000 miles out of your car with scheduled maintenance. So you're looking at another 10+ years.

Save your stock parts and if you ever sell your car, you can return it to stock and get about half what you paid for the aftermarket parts.

For about $15,000, you can have a one-of-a-kind show car that everyone will notice and appreciate. Or for about the same money, you'll have a car that doesn't look much different than the car you have now.

Regarding the Pebble Beach editions, personally I don't think they're all that special. They're standard color combinations available in Japan. But because the U.S. market was much smaller for the SC., they limited the color choices and cycled through the less popular colors as special editions. If you happen to love that color combination, it's probably worth paying more. If not, I don't see the point.

This is just my opinion, of course. But I think you could get a lot more for your money upgrading the car you have rather than buying a newer model year.
Old 09-21-13, 03:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the '06 PBE colors.

Unfortunately, that color combo became "regular" after '07 on. You could have gotten that color combo in a non-PBE car.

All other PBE had unique interiors that you couldn't get, such as red interiors or two-tone interiors. That is far more special than the '06 PBE...
Old 09-21-13, 12:11 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

@barncat - it said the car is 100% accident free but it was from Quebec, people here avoid buying from there because apparently cars are treated very rough.. But Mercedes Benz dealer had it up for sale and the car looked untouch so I wasnt sure :/

@ LiquidSC - your right, my car is absolutely mint, I just thought if I want to upgrade anything major I must do it on a car that I will keep, usually I dont keep a car past 80 k miles I end up changed because I get bored, but the SC I have kinda got attached too. to be honest when I first put big wheels on without hub rings, that seemed to have started a wobble/shake type issue and I have done alot to try and get rid of it now im starting to beleive my hub might be bent or lose... So i was thinking instead of doing anything big I might aswell find a low mileage one, get a whole new adjustable suspension and start on a car wobble/shake free rather then wasting money trying to figure out what it is in this one. Its not to bad but it be very nice for it to not be there lol!

oh and you know what I actually dont find PB editions any special either... I actually dont like the front headlights of the 06+ but rears are nice... and apparently they have less hp? 288? older ones had 300? lol other car makes are reducing engine sizes but creating more power, lexus went backwards on this one :P but ya this brown metallic was quite neat! I guess ill stick with my SC though

@ PhilipMSPT - oh wow i assume your referring to the brown... thats sucks for the PB owners with that color, since it wont be special after that :/ and i didn't know red only came on PB's.. that sucks

btw thankyou for the replies guys!

Last edited by 416tt; 09-21-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 01:34 PM
Yes

It's the same engine with the same horsepower and performance. Car makers estimate the HP using a formula. Lexus just changed their formula in 2006.

If you can figure out your vibration issue, personally I'd upgrade your current car. You don't hear about many problems if they're properly maintained. You don't hear of many problems even if they aren't. I've have mine seven years. Only thing I had to replace was the motor mounts.
Old 09-21-13, 08:47 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was at a dealer and came CPO, then that would have been a great deal. None CPO then they were asking too much.

I bought an '07 last year with 11K miles on it for $31K from a prviate party. It was basically new in showroom condition. That was a year ago, so the same car would be worth probably $3K less now.
Old 09-23-13, 06:44 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
It's the same engine with the same horsepower and performance. Car makers estimate the HP using a formula. Lexus just changed their formula in 2006.

If you can figure out your vibration issue, personally I'd upgrade your current car. You don't hear about many problems if they're properly maintained. You don't hear of many problems even if they aren't. I've have mine seven years. Only thing I had to replace was the motor mounts.
Oh really? hmm im just wondering what the real power is, I wish this car came with atleast 370 hp and up and yeah Im taking the car in to a trusted mechanic for O2 sensor & spark plugs and also to check that wheel... Would you know if I should use OEM spark plugs or are there better ones? and yes its definately a very relaible car and they definately keep there value! btw how much did the engine mounts run you if you dont mind me asking? do the have to lift the engine or something?

Originally Posted by sorka
If it was at a dealer and came CPO, then that would have been a great deal. None CPO then they were asking too much.

I bought an '07 last year with 11K miles on it for $31K from a prviate party. It was basically new in showroom condition. That was a year ago, so the same car would be worth probably $3K less now.
yeah it definately was a great price. wow you got an awesome deal, that same car would go for $41 to 43k here :/ lol so if you brought your car here you could actually make money of it!!

Last edited by 416tt; 09-23-13 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 09:55 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Oh really? hmm im just wondering what the real power is, I wish this car came with atleast 370 hp and up and yeah Im taking the car in to a trusted mechanic for O2 sensor & spark plugs and also to check that wheel... Would you know if I should use OEM spark plugs or are there better ones? and yes its definately a very relaible car and they definately keep there value! btw how much did the engine mounts run you if you dont mind me asking? do the have to lift the engine or something?
288 is probably more accurate. But you also have to consider it produces 325 foot-lbs. of torque, which is just as important as horsepower, if not more so.

If you want more power, it's reasonably inexpensive to do headers, intake and exhaust. You'll get decent performance gains without putting any more stress on the engine.
Old 09-25-13, 07:21 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

288 is probably more accurate. But you also have to consider it produces 325 foot-lbs. of torque, which is just as important as horsepower, if not more so.

If you want more power, it's reasonably inexpensive to do headers, intake and exhaust. You'll get decent performance gains without putting any more stress on the engine.
the torque shows as 317 now NAOOOOOOOOOOO missing 7 ft -lb of torque! I really needed that! :P im jk ....The car definately does pick though, when it does its always a surprise .. we have a gx460 in the house which has almost the same power, but the gx weighs 5300 lbs while the sc is 3850 lbs. The pick of the gx is sooo easy and you cannot feel the weight of the car at all :/ Wish the sc was like that, is that because of a throttle design or something? on the sc you have to push the throttle all the way down to make it go, with gx its complete opposite... I wonder if the new sc's are like that

Missed a great deal? :( what do you think?-capture.png

Last edited by 416tt; 09-25-13 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 07:58 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by bimmer416
the torque shows as 317 now NAOOOOOOOOOOO missing 7 ft -lb of torque! I really needed that! :P im jk ....The car definately does pick though, when it does its always a surprise .. we have a gx460 in the house which has almost the same power, but the gx weighs 5300 lbs while the sc is 3850 lbs. The pick of the gx is sooo easy and you cannot feel the weight of the car at all :/ Wish the sc was like that, is that because of a throttle design or something? on the sc you have to push the throttle all the way down to make it go, with gx its complete opposite... I wonder if the new sc's are like that

Attachment 298896
The throttle isn't as sensitive as some other cars. If you want to change that, you can buy a Blitz Throttle Control. It lets you set the throttle's sensitivity. It won't make your car any faster, but it'll feel faster.
Old 09-25-13, 09:02 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

The throttle isn't as sensitive as some other cars. If you want to change that, you can buy a Blitz Throttle Control. It lets you set the throttle's sensitivity. It won't make your car any faster, but it'll feel faster.
thats helpful, thanks alot Liquid SC.. would this have any negative effect at all? has his mod ever caused issues for anyone?

thanks alot!
Old 09-25-13, 11:53 AM
Yes

Not that I know of. I suppose you could hit the gas too hard when you're backing up or parking and hit something. But I haven't heard of anyone having problems.
Old 09-25-13, 01:46 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Not that I know of. I suppose you could hit the gas too hard when you're backing up or parking and hit something. But I haven't heard of anyone having problems.
Alright I would definately like to get one then, thanks for your help!
Old 09-25-13, 02:37 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have SprintBooster (easily found on Ebay) and it's nice b'c you have three programs to choose from: Off/Normal Driving, Moderate, & Aggressive. It was a really easy install, about 10 minutes. I usually keep mine off unless I'm hotroddin' around town but in either the Moderate or Aggressive mode you can definitely feel the change in acceleration which probably relates to a huge decrease in MPG's. But on the bright side, the "lag" that so many owners complain about is gone.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-25-13 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Missed a great deal? :( what do you think?