Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 08:14 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear

Hi everyone,

so I have had this slight rattle sound which comes randomly if road is bad or bumpy.. It doesnt bother me but would be nice if it wasnt there. I don't know what it is but seems like some wire or something inside in corner which shakes... anyone have similar problem?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-13, 10:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Does everything in the door still work? (Like the locks, window, door handle, speakers, etc.)
Old 09-23-13, 10:26 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
Does everything in the door still work? (Like the locks, window, door handle, speakers, etc.)
Yup everything works normal! sorry I dont think I mentioned clearly up there, the sound is coming from the roof
Old 09-24-13, 10:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Oops, yes it does state roof in the title. My mistake.

To answer your question, I've never had the noise and am not sure what it would be either.
Old 09-24-13, 06:05 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an intermittent rattle there too and can not track it down. I have learned to just turn up the radio and tune it out.
Old 09-25-13, 07:10 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's 2003 has had this rattlle for years. We've had it worked on extensively several times by a couple of different dealers.. It's better now, but still there. As this car ages, and with all the flexing the roof goes through, these ratlles will happen. I don't think you can totally eliminate them.
Old 09-25-13, 02:57 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDames2
My wife's 2003 has had this rattlle for years. We've had it worked on extensively several times by a couple of different dealers.. It's better now, but still there. As this car ages, and with all the flexing the roof goes through, these ratlles will happen. I don't think you can totally eliminate them.
I have a 2005 SC 430 and have the same intermittent roof rattle. I have tried EVERYTHING but it is still there. It must have something to do with the roof as the rattle disappears when the roof is down. I have examined the roof and rear seat mechanism many times but can't pinpoint the source. Very frustrating as the rattle sound defies logic. There simply does not appear to be anything obviously loose.

Do you know what the dealer did to reduce the noise ?
Old 09-25-13, 04:20 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be your sun visor. I thought it was coming from the rear, but my friend noticed it was the visor when it's folded all the way up. Bend it down slightly and the rattle goes away. It started happening on the drivers side lately too. Only happens sporadically.
Old 09-25-13, 06:29 PM
nsdurner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Soaryn1981
Hi….

This may not seem the best approach… but here is what I did.

First get some Lithium grease …. Hopefully you can get some in black

Open the top halfway up….. then spray the lithium grease “spray a LOT of grease into the locking hinge ( where the roof meets the windscreen there should be a locking mechanism there…. Again I suggest you spray heaps)

Then spray heaps of grease on the roof part ( I cant explain this technically) but basically spray the parts where the guide pin is . Fully lubricate these parts.

Now here comes the tricky bit…… due to body roll… age etc… the rubber around the guide pins don’t act as they once did and absorb the flex hence the metal on metal rattle.

I took some heavy duty tape ( the ones that have the string on it) not sure if you get this there… but basically its electrical tape but its got extra matting on it to make it stonger.

Now wrap some tape over the guide pin… I would go over this twice. Make sure it can still fit into the guide pin hole.

Do it on both sides… spray once more… then your done

It worked for me .. no more squeaky roof 
I have the same noise.

Soaryn1981-Do you have any pictures you could post on the areas where you are referring to spray and the tape you are talking about-thank you
Old 09-26-13, 03:27 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear

Originally Posted by nsdurner
I have the same noise.

Soaryn1981-Do you have any pictures you could post on the areas where you are referring to spray and the tape you are talking about-thank you
My 2005 SC430 has the locking mechanism at the front of the windshield but also has plastic locater pins and plastic receptables where the locater pins fit into. I sprayed the locking mechanism but didn't need to use any tape to make the located pins a bit 'fatter'.

My rattle was coming from the rear of the roof not the front.

I *think* I may have solved the problem but only after many attempts. The latest effort involved applying liberal amounts of silicone spray lubricant to all the roof moving parts as well as all trunk rubbers (I previously used glycerol).

I also raised the roof half way until the rear parcel shelf points vertically, exposing the rubber bump stop. I sprayed the bump stop AND all the hinges of the rear parcel shelf. The parcel shelf is a two piece construction and appears to be inherently rattly. I unscrewed the parcel shelf and squeezed bubble wrap in between the two parts of the parcel shelf, being careful not to interfere with the movement of the two parts of the parcel shelf.

This morning when I drove the car it was totally silent. Fingers crossed it is a permanent fix.
Old 09-29-13, 08:30 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Soaryn1981
I have tried most methods to make this stop…. The key is the silicone lubricant…. And you have to spray a lot…

Problem is due to the sloping nature of the location the silicone doesn’t stay where its supposed too… perhaps we should try grease …and apply it with a toothbrush….that should fix the problem

Mine seemed to work… although I occasionally get the parcel shelf rattle… ill try and fix it this weekend.

Bubble wrap … don’t know about that… im too paranoid about that.
...if I remember correctly ( a few years back),a member posted a method to adjusting the "bumpstop" to stop the rattle associated with that tray/shelf. I'm not looking at the vehicle, but if you open the top to a point where the tray flips up also, there is a rubber stop underneath it. I slight adjustment upward should stop that rattle & you should be able to turn/adjust it with your hand...hopefully this will help
Old 09-29-13, 09:05 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Alot of people seem to have rattling issues. thankyou for all the input everyone,

@ LiquidSC - unfortunately its not my sunvisor its comes from the rear left corner of the roof where there is visible joints.. Not sure if you guys know what im talking about but Ill take a pic tmrw and post it, I think its the joints or in the roof right by the joints!

ill get a pic up, but other then that does anyone have a diagram or something of whats inside the roof? is there a way to take the panel off from the roof ceiling?
Old 09-30-13, 06:24 AM
nsdurner
Driver School Candidate

So I tried spraying the silicone everywhere possible. Took the car out for a drive and the noise is still there. Mine is more of a squeaking. (like something that would need lubricating) Sometimes it sounds like it is in the front of the car sometimes towards the rear.

It is not the sun visors.
I too thought it was from the visible joints in the roof above the drivers left shoulder. I lubricated those, but I am still hearing the noise.

I will try adjusting the bumpstop under the back tray tonight and see if that does anything.
Old 09-30-13, 07:42 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

@ townsville, could you tell me what the parcel shelf is, perhaps a pic would be more helpful?

and another question for you guys, can i raise the roof halfway and leave it? I have never tried...

Ill get a pic of the exact area tomorrow (sorry for delay)! and thanks to everyone again!
Old 10-01-13, 07:27 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nsdurner
So I tried spraying the silicone everywhere possible. Took the car out for a drive and the noise is still there. Mine is more of a squeaking. (like something that would need lubricating) Sometimes it sounds like it is in the front of the car sometimes towards the rear.

It is not the sun visors.
I too thought it was from the visible joints in the roof above the drivers left shoulder. I lubricated those, but I am still hearing the noise.

I will try adjusting the bumpstop under the back tray tonight and see if that does anything.

If your passenger seat and or your drivers seat is all the way back the leather on the back of the seat can rub against the rear seat. It make annoying noise . Try moving both your seats up.

Quick Reply: Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear