SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trying to replace battery in ILCO IH3 ignition key

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 04:25 PM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trying to replace battery in ILCO IH3 ignition key

Has anyone been able to get the key open to replace the battery? My key has two tabs near the blade, but near impossible to press in. I'd rather not break it, as it's programmed to my wife's car, but the immobilizer doesn't always go out and I'm certain the key needs a new battery. Help is always appreciated. Thanks!
Marty
Old 09-24-13, 05:55 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by marty99
Has anyone been able to get the key open to replace the battery? My key has two tabs near the blade, but near impossible to press in. I'd rather not break it, as it's programmed to my wife's car, but the immobilizer doesn't always go out and I'm certain the key needs a new battery. Help is always appreciated. Thanks!
Marty
are you talking about a battery replacment for a sc430 key fob??
Old 09-25-13, 02:50 AM
ALBINO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty
Marty, I am assuming that you are talking about the SC430. I used a jewelers screwdriver and loosened the two screws on the key to replace my battery. The battery that I used to replace the old one with was a Energizer CR1616

Here is the information from Amazon where I bought the batteries from.
Energizer CR1616 3V Lithuim Battery -Pack of 5
Sold by D&H Amazing Deals
Condition: new $5.10

Make sure when you take the key apart and put it back together that you are careful with the small/thin rubber gasket that is in there.
Old 09-25-13, 06:47 AM
marty99
Rookie

Thanks. This is an ILCO key, cut and programmed for my wife's SC430. The key has 2 plastic clip locks on the top, and very tough to get open, as you have to hold one then release the other. Finally got it this morning by releasing one clip and rotating the key blade. Came apart, and got to the battery. All is well. Almost bought a battery at Walgreens for $5.50 and decided to order 5 of them for $8 online. I'm a patient guy ...
Old 09-25-13, 06:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALBINO
Marty, I am assuming that you are talking about the SC430. I used a jewelers screwdriver and loosened the two screws on the key to replace my battery. The battery that I used to replace the old one with was a Energizer CR1616

Here is the information from Amazon where I bought the batteries from.
Energizer CR1616 3V Lithuim Battery -Pack of 5
Sold by D&H Amazing Deals
Condition: new $5.10

Make sure when you take the key apart and put it back together that you are careful with the small/thin rubber gasket that is in there.

There is a single screw on the back of the key once you take that out you have to snap the outer shell of the case off then you will see the inside electronics this is where you will see the two small
Phillips head screw , The inside electronic module is removable so you can work on it out of the case
Old 09-25-13, 07:02 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Thanks. This is an ILCO key, cut and programmed for my wife's SC430. The key has 2 plastic clip locks on the top, and very tough to get open, as you have to hold one then release the other. Finally got it this morning by releasing one clip and rotating the key blade. Came apart, and got to the battery. All is well. Almost bought a battery at Walgreens for $5.50 and decided to order 5 of them for $8 online. I'm a patient guy ...
I am not familiar with the key your working with. What year sc is yours. Is the key aftermarket ?
I have only seen the factory oem keys . Learn something new each day
Old 09-25-13, 08:11 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm intrigued to see this key. Could you possibly post a photo? Sounds like an aftermarket key or something very different then the keys I have for my car. I'm interested to learn more. Thanks.
Old 09-25-13, 10:24 AM
marty99
Rookie

Default Aftermarket Lexus Key

This is definitely an aftermarket key. Came with my wife's 2002 SC430. The first photo is the stock LEXUS key with remote buttons next to the ILCO key. It took a while to be sure I could get the blade off of the body on the aftermarket key to access the battery. See photo #3
Attached Thumbnails Trying to replace battery in ILCO IH3 ignition key-iclo-1.jpg   Trying to replace battery in ILCO IH3 ignition key-iclo-2.jpg   Trying to replace battery in ILCO IH3 ignition key-iclo-3.jpg