SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus Link Cancelled ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-03, 12:10 AM
rickw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Link Cancelled ??

Visited a Lexus dealer today. He says that the Lexus Link system is being cancelled. If you want this feature better get one that's already built. Apparently, very few users renew after the free first year. He says it just wasnt profitable.
Anyone else hear about this?
Old 01-20-03, 10:15 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

This is news to me. Sounds like you talked with a sales guys.
Old 01-20-03, 08:02 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What exactly is Lexus Link ? Is it like "On-Star"?

What's "On-Star" ??
Old 01-20-03, 08:06 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Originally posted by Larry
What exactly is Lexus Link ? Is it like "On-Star"?
It is On-Star (private labeled by Lexus):

http://www.lexus.com/lexuslink/
Old 01-21-03, 11:53 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was reading the fine print, it seems the system is on analog anyway and that it will be outdated and not useable anyway. Anyone know about this? My Lexus link sits in my pocket, I never understood that. I guess its nice to unlock your doors, but I kinda like the cellphone in my pocket. Id be willing ot bet that 95% of all lexus owners have a cell phone too.
Old 01-22-03, 04:47 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Lexus Link works off of cellular phone service, meaning it sometimes drops the connection in rural areas and in concrete parking structures. It is not, however, a CELLPHONE. By pushing a button overhead, the car "calls" the Lexus Link center where you speak to a live person. They can unlock your doors via satellite should you lock yourself out. Also, let's say you get stranded in the middle of nowhere, Link will locate your position and then send AAA out to your exact location. More importantly, if your anti-theft deterent system goes off for more than a minute, they will try to call you, and if they can't get ahold of you, they will call the police. Here's another good one: if you get into a really baaad accident and the airbag goes off, you're laying there unconcious or something, Link will send an ambulance. This is called the "Safety and Security" package which is free for the first year. Lexus customers can renew after that or they can cancel. If you really want to live large, you can upgrade to the "Concierge" package, which is where you give them your credit card number and Link will do things like: get sports tickets, restaurant reservations, etc....It's not for everybody, but I do have quite a few select clients who really enjoy the Lexus Link option.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 01-22-03 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 04:58 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Very impressive. I can see some folks really finding a strong sense of security from that type of system.

Do actual Lexus employees provide this or is it subbed out to a third party like GM's On-Star ?
Old 01-22-03, 05:03 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I'm not completely positive about now, but at the beginning there was only one company which offerred the service and they also talked to Cadillac customers. So, we Lexus-ized the reps and worked out of the same building. Not too sure about now, though. It's cool, whenever you call them from the car, they don't answer with hello or anything...they answer with "Good Day, Mr. Larry, how may I assist you today?" It's very personalized.
Old 01-22-03, 05:07 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Lexus seems to have gon through great lengths to personalize all of their service. I was on the phone with Customer Service this morning (asking about the Wheel Conversion Kit) and they were fantastic.

Are you a Dealer ?
Old 01-22-03, 05:14 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yes, Longo Lexus in California. We are the number #1 Lexus dealer in the Western Area. And we are #2 nationally. We also have the #1 Toyota dealership in the world. Our dealerhsip is huge. In addition to selling thousands of cars, we also have excellent customer serivice. AND we have a Starbuck's Coffee on site, which is good and bad. Good, because I get to go there almost everyday...bad because well, it ain't cheap.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 01-22-03 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 05:17 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

So maybe you can shed some light on the "Wheel Conversion Kit" !

Is it a myth ? Do they exist ? Where are they ?

They already have them in Japan the dealers there can't ship them to the US.
Old 01-22-03, 05:21 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

No, I have no idea. I am actually in the sales department. What is it??
Old 01-22-03, 06:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Larry-

Good try, but the salesmen really aren't in the loop on any of the aftermarket items for these cars (sadly, even the ones advertised in the brochure). My salesman was blown away when I pulled up with the AutoCouture front and rear lip spoilers. Neither he, the service dept. nor their body shop had any idea they existed.

I also asked Service and Parts about the Wheel Conversion Kit and nobody had ever heard of it. They tried to sell me chrome TRD's!

So, now that ya got that fancy side molding, ya can't wait to get rid of the pie plates, huh? Let me know if you have any success at all with the conversion kit.

DSeag2
Old 01-22-03, 07:26 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

DSeag2.....ahem....that's saleswoman to you. Of course the service and parts department tried to sell you TRD, it's called "doing our job". (haha) I've actually seen some pictures of different wheels way back in a sales meeting. The factory reps were wondering about our opinion on which designs we liked best. Now I know why they were asking us so many questions! I just didn't know it was officially called anything. And I happen to know a little bit about aftermarket equipment. It's like good wine....I know what I like. AutoCouture, eh? Do you have any posted pics of your car? I'm sure it looks awesome!

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 01-22-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-23-03, 01:17 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default So...is it cancelled?

To get back to the topic at hand...is "the Link" being cancelled? If it was I would be supremely pissed. I just bought a new GX and was "forced" to buy the Link - over $1000 so if it becomes useless I will not be pleased.

P.S. I've never used it...but its the principle. Bundling options is bad enough....making them obsolete is unacceptable.

Quick Reply: Lexus Link Cancelled ??