SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Beauty of OEM (versus Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 07:46 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The Beauty of OEM (versus Aftermarket)

The other day I was driving my entirely stock SC430 and accidentally drove into a pretty serious ditch. My SC430 has all stock parts, no aftermarket wheels, no aftermarket suspension parts, not lowered, etc.

I was CONVINCED that I was at the least going to pop a tire, and possible bend the wheel after hitting the ditch. Much to my surprise, I couldn't even see any damage when I inspected the car afterwards. The ditch looked very serious.

I know if I had aftermarket wheels or suspension, or a body kit, I would have done major damage, but the beauty of OEM is that I could just continue driving.

I feel that aftermarket parts are great if you have a showcar which you don't generally drive and want it to look unique at a car show. However, if you must actually drive the SC430 then it seems best to keep the body OEM so it can withstand driving on normal roads.
Old 10-07-13, 09:43 AM
Hussam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am into situation like your's I drove into a hole which seriously damaged 2 rims , break the cover under the motor , some damage to front bumper and finally got 3 tires broken .

so I took it as chance to make SC430 Project

when I went to our thief dealer I found one original rim going to cost me around 1250 dollar so I have decide to looking for another rims with equal coast which be different from the original cause befor that accident I got bored from their style .... etc the same is on front bumper ...etc

any way do have any suggestions on my project
Old 10-07-13, 10:18 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

It really is nice to have a stock bodied car sometimes. The guys with lowered cars and low hanging body struggle getting around town. Sometimes it's nice to hop in the car and drive without worrying about pot holes and steep driveways.
Old 10-07-13, 10:48 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
It really is nice to have a stock bodied car sometimes. The guys with lowered cars and low hanging body struggle getting around town. Sometimes it's nice to hop in the car and drive without worrying about pot holes and steep driveways.

This is why I have a lifted Tundra.....
Old 10-07-13, 11:07 AM
Hussam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this my Sc 430 befor & after I really hate the front of it now I am looking to change:

headlight
side mirrors - looking for 2010 type
front finder
rims

could any one tell where to get the side mirrors with signal lights?
Attached Thumbnails The Beauty of OEM (versus Aftermarket)-355bd88a4c4576f074956763baa7fa26.jpg   The Beauty of OEM (versus Aftermarket)-img-20120815-wa0016.jpg  
Old 10-07-13, 05:42 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
The other day I was driving my entirely stock SC430 and accidentally drove into a pretty serious ditch. My SC430 has all stock parts, no aftermarket wheels, no aftermarket suspension parts, not lowered, etc.

I was CONVINCED that I was at the least going to pop a tire, and possible bend the wheel after hitting the ditch. Much to my surprise, I couldn't even see any damage when I inspected the car afterwards. The ditch looked very serious.

I know if I had aftermarket wheels or suspension, or a body kit, I would have done major damage, but the beauty of OEM is that I could just continue driving.

I feel that aftermarket parts are great if you have a showcar which you don't generally drive and want it to look unique at a car show. However, if you must actually drive the SC430 then it seems best to keep the body OEM so it can withstand driving on normal roads.
Just like you OP, I drove into a smallish drain about 2 years back that was left uncovered by the required ( but absent) metal gratings. My SC landed in there with a crash and I could not reverse out cos the tires were caught in the ditch. Needed a friend's pick up to tow me out. But there was no damage and I track straight and true with no need for alignment or anything. The fact that I was running winter tires in 225/55/16 size must have helped cos there was more rubber to absorb the impact.

Got some scratches on my tow hook under the engine bay but that was it really.
Old 10-07-13, 07:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Had a similar instance last week. Let my friend drive my SC and me home after a few drinks at the bar (always the right thing to do). He asked if he could open her up a little bit and I said sure just be careful. Of course he was running it pretty hard through some street and nailed a cross road where they were resurfacing. Needless to say the whole car took a beating, bottomed out, and everything went bouncing into the air and out of the car onto the road ("Yard Sale" snowboarding/skiing terminology). Glad we were buckled up or would been thrown out since the top was down. I was really worried. We got out and checked and everything seemed fine. Night's over. Friend loses all my trust. -1 for him. Next day I took a look to make sure no bent rims or curb rash or scraps and everything was still cherry. I noticed a small "pinging" sound coming from the rear passenger side. Sort of like someone tapping an empty soda can with a pencil when I would go over some rough road surface. Nothing the normal person would notice but I just know when something's wrong with my girl. Stopped by three different shops today. No one even had time to look at it. Firestone tried to charge me $47 just to put it on a rack. The two other shops said they suspect brake problems after a ride along and to come back at 8am tomorrow. Finally, I tried Goodyear on my way home expecting it to me some major damage from what the previous shady shops had said. (After an hour and half wait) dude threw it up on a rack. Luckily it was just a loose metal cap on the shock strut. Goodyear Man tightened it with his hand and send me on my way within 10 minutes. No charge. Whew. Got lucky there. But I will say that I feel that these cars are designed to take a lick and keep on tickin'... Floyd Mayweather style.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 10-07-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 07:50 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is all a matter of personal taste and use. My SC430 is my daily driver on normal roads but In snow, and to east DC, for ex. I use an old Galant. I like the mods but it's a balance. I have 0.9" lowered with Tanabe springs and need to get Bilstein shocks which will perform better with the lowering. Now as Shawn described my SC jumps all over the place on a rough highway (eg I-95 N fron Baltimore to Phili). I also want better front brakes when I do more performance driving etc.

I recently hit a deer in fr rt corner and the deer went up and over hitting everything along the way with hoofs, antlers, elbow and knees. Except for my front lip, only oem parts needed to be replaced or fixed. Sure very lowered cars with a prf body kit will get damaged in many scenarios but again it is the balance selected by the owner.

Chassis strengthening, suspension and brake upgrade made the sc stronger than oem ... Body kits are another thing.
Old 10-07-13, 10:08 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
that's exactly why I never modified my car.