SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nice weather.....made a couple changes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 02:44 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nice weather.....made a couple changes....

Added some Carbing stuff......strut bar and rad panel.

Made a carbon fiber trim piece for my LED's. Yes....it's real CF not vinyl.....

Old 10-15-13, 10:45 AM
ChimpsAlot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those additions look sick, man. The STB dresses up the engine bay nicely, did you notice any difference in handling? More solid in the corners with the top down, at all?

Also, did you just cut the raw carbon fiber with some tin-snips, though? I have a sheet I bought online for around $10 and later learned that the dust you create from cutting carbon fiber is super-toxic, stuff is similar to asbestos, apparently. Be careful with that stuff.
Old 10-15-13, 12:40 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChimpsAlot
Those additions look sick, man. The STB dresses up the engine bay nicely, did you notice any difference in handling? More solid in the corners with the top down, at all?

Also, did you just cut the raw carbon fiber with some tin-snips, though? I have a sheet I bought online for around $10 and later learned that the dust you create from cutting carbon fiber is super-toxic, stuff is similar to asbestos, apparently. Be careful with that stuff.
The STB combined with my poly bushing, FSport sways and coilovers are a good combination and make a difference as a package for handling. The CF stuff I use is from Senko and has adhesive on the backside already and is easy to work with. I use epoxy resin on top to protect the weave even though it has a clear finish. I use this stuff on my interior wood pieces too. I have used the CF weave but its a little harder to work with. I think you're thinking about the prepregnated flat sheets which are hard to work with.
Old 10-15-13, 06:34 PM
ChimpsAlot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that must be the stuff I have. It's stiff as a board. I was originally going to cut it up and make a custom license plate frame out of the stuff, but I don't think I want to now that I've read about the dangers. This stuff would need epoxy as well. Here's a pic I took of it, maybe 6 years ago.

Either way, you gotta love CF. For those that don't get what the big deal is about it, they just haven't seen the real stuff in person. I photographed this off a hood of an RX-7 at the racetrack one day, mmm carbon fiber!

What are you running for an air filter, a K&N drop-in or something? Any plans on for cold air induction into it, or have you already done that?
Old 10-21-13, 04:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChimpsAlot

I agree, really nice job !