SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation screen replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 05:49 PM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation screen replacement

Has anyone ever thought of, or tried replacing the SC430 navi screen with a tablet like apple, windows or android?
I just replaced my ML stereo with a Kenwood navi unit that does everything. As a result, I don't need the original navi, so I'm using it as a monitor for movies and a dashcam I put it. All thanks to a $400 miracle wiring harness.
Now I'm thinking I'd like to replace the original screen because of the bad resolution.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
George
Old 10-22-13, 06:26 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GJP
Has anyone ever thought of, or tried replacing the SC430 navi screen with a tablet like apple, windows or android?
I just replaced my ML stereo with a Kenwood navi unit that does everything. As a result, I don't need the original navi, so I'm using it as a monitor for movies and a dashcam I put it. All thanks to a $400 miracle wiring harness.
Now I'm thinking I'd like to replace the original screen because of the bad resolution.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
George

Over the winter we'll be taking this on........my wiring guy is a guru !!!!
Old 10-23-13, 09:52 AM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Let me know!
Thanks!
George
Old 10-24-13, 07:32 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My screen is cloudy or the finish has worn off.
Old 01-29-14, 07:37 PM
tungitek
Driver School Candidate

I tried it, did not work for me with a single din pioneer navi. Thinking about a mini ipad there with wifi, turn my iphone to a hotspot and get the latest google map that way among other things.

But it's not as important to me right now... good luck with your endeavors. I'd love to hear what you could do to yours.
Old 01-29-14, 08:48 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

I too am interested in changing the screen. I no longer need the OEM navigation function on the screen. I just want a better replacement LCD screecher. I hope someone speaks up on this
Old 01-31-14, 08:34 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m currently in the process of installing a Galaxy Tab 3 in lieu of the original Nav screen… I too went with a double Din unit with nav a few years ago.

I plan to use it as a digital dashboard (torque App) via a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor.
Old 02-01-14, 06:11 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by scyul
I’m currently in the process of installing a Galaxy Tab 3 in lieu of the original Nav screen… I too went with a double Din unit with nav a few years ago.

I plan to use it as a digital dashboard (torque App) via a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor.

Scyul:

Is it difficult removing the OEM navigation screen from the hoeing. All I want to do is put in a modern LCD screen to be used for a rear view camera only. I just want to know if I can get the original screen out an put in a new LCD screen. I had been given the impression that it is almost impossible removing the screen and putting in a new one. Please let me know because that is the only thing holding me up from doing my audio upgrade
Old 02-02-14, 07:58 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Scyul:

Is it difficult removing the OEM navigation screen from the hoeing. All I want to do is put in a modern LCD screen to be used for a rear view camera only. I just want to know if I can get the original screen out an put in a new LCD screen. I had been given the impression that it is almost impossible removing the screen and putting in a new one. Please let me know because that is the only thing holding me up from doing my audio upgrade
Removing and replacing the screen is not difficult... Keeping the "deploy / retract" function is a different story. I ended up removing everything. By using several switches and relays, I was able to make the screen come out and in... Still not sure how I did it but it works!

I installed a cheap 7" GPS that never work well... So now I'm installing a Galaxy Tab 3.

BTW, I use my head unit screen for BU camera.
Old 02-02-14, 12:40 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Removing and replacing the screen is not difficult... Keeping the "deploy / retract" function is a different story. I ended up removing everything. By using several switches and relays, I was able to make the screen come out and in... Still not sure how I did it but it works!

I installed a cheap 7" GPS that never work well... So now I'm installing a Galaxy Tab 3.

BTW, I use my head unit screen for BU camera.

So I take it that a 7" screen is the size that will fit in that slot
Old 11-04-14, 10:05 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is old, but any chance for a quick write-up on how to wire the open/close functionality of the nav door after the screen replacement?
Old 05-23-18, 12:59 AM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by editordz
I know this is old, but any chance for a quick write-up on how to wire the open/close functionality of the nav door after the screen replacement?

Easiest way is to simply remove the board that has the wire connectors from the factory radio. I did mine and wrapped it in a freezer bag to keep it from shorting out to ground. It is tucked under my aftermarket Alpine radio. The open, close and tilt functions still work. No need for extra switches or relays....PM you you need better directions.
The following users liked this post:
adamh02 (11-23-18)
Old 03-11-20, 11:00 PM
Kiwicooley
Driver School Candidate

Default So the open/close/ tilt function for Nav door is inside the radio?

I’ve removed the entire factory system, and replaced the factory Nav with a 7”HD headrest monitor, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get the Nav door to open/close/tilt

[QUOTE=mtaalib3;10205914]Easiest way is to simply remove the board that has the wire connectors from the factory radio. I did mine and wrapped it in a freezer bag to keep it from shorting out to ground. It is tucked under my aftermarket Alpine radio. The open, close and tilt functions still work.
Old 03-12-20, 10:30 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwicooley
I’ve removed the entire factory system, and replaced the factory Nav with a 7”HD headrest monitor, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get the Nav door to open/close/tilt
Originally Posted by mtaalib3
Easiest way is to simply remove the board that has the wire connectors from the factory radio. I did mine and wrapped it in a freezer bag to keep it from shorting out to ground. It is tucked under my aftermarket Alpine radio. The open, close and tilt functions still work.
See evgeniy's post # 45 in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...monitor-3.html
Kiwicooley (03-12-20)
Old 03-27-20, 09:32 AM
HerbTarlek
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JUST FYI...I listed my DVD & DVD NAV DRIVE from my 2006 SC430 in the classifieds. I also have the screen that I'd throw in...(not the entire unit...just the screen).
Kiwicooley (03-27-20)

Quick Reply: Navigation screen replacement