SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

BatteryDead in Ten Days

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 07:37 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd
Since I just got my 430, and since she'll spend much of the next five months waiting in the garage for warmer weather, I pulled the old battery in favor of a new one and I hooked up my battery tender as I have done on previous "Sunday summer" vehicles. Oddly it was taking longer than I thought for the 1.5 amp tender to reach maintenance mode on a new, fully charged battery. So, I thought I would check to see what the parasitic draw was on this car to see how long it would take to "top up" the battery. .96 amps? What? That's huge. Checked it three times. Maybe my multimeter is bad? No wonder the 1.5 amp tender was taking so long with a net 0.5 amps going in.

Much information is out there about the parasitic draw the SC430's seem to have and dead batteries after a few days of sitting. Has anyone EVER narrowed it down to anything we may have in common? I see much written about maybe the ML amplifier staying on or possibly a bad ECU, or the security system, but seldom are threads completed past how to diagnose the draw. We don't seem to get to the bottom of it past "put a battery tender on if you don't plan on driving for a few days". So now, when I have several spare hours, I guess I will try and narrow mine down and promise to report back.
That in no way means that's how much current the car is drawing. You can't make any assumptions about what the car draws based on what the battery tender draw is.

The only way to accurately measure it is to put an ameter in series/inline with your battery terminal and cable.
Old 11-09-13, 07:41 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd
I don't want to guess. I want to know. Re-checked readings again. Get between 1.30 amps and .60 amps on the negative side. 10 to 30 times to high. P/O was no help as he drove daily. A pullin' I will go.
If you're measuring between the battery terminal and the cable, which is the only way to do it, you need to wait about 3 minutes after reconnecting the battery before the current draw goes down to 50 ma. When the power is reconnected, various circuits go into startup mode and draw well over 1.5 amps for a few minutes and until they initialize. This is with the car off and the key out of the ignition.
Old 11-11-13, 06:37 PM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
If you're measuring between the battery terminal and the cable, which is the only way to do it, you need to wait about 3 minutes after reconnecting the battery before the current draw goes down to 50 ma. When the power is reconnected, various circuits go into startup mode and draw well over 1.5 amps for a few minutes and until they initialize. This is with the car off and the key out of the ignition.
Duh! What a great piece of advice, Sorka. I was measuring too soon after hooking the meter up in series. I waited about 10 minutes and see that everything calmed down to between 2 and 300m amps. Still 5 or 6 times too high but not outrageous.
Old 11-11-13, 08:42 PM
Philiptou
Driver School Candidate

After removing the Radio #1 30A fuse ( for the ML amp), I can start the car after it has been sitting there for more than 2 weeks now. The CD player works fine and I do not think it is faulty at all. Now I need more pictures to show me how to take the amp out for close-up inspection. I read quite a few reports of this ML Amp fault and as a result, it drains the battery. Hope this can be proved and will save a lot of good batteries.
Old 11-12-13, 10:15 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

IIRC, there are a few threads with AMP replacement and video mix (same area) installation instructions. Do a search on those two items and you are likely to find what you are searching for.
Old 11-17-13, 05:33 AM
Philiptou
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with the dead battery if the car sits there about 10 days. After I removed the Radio#1 30A fuse, I can start the car even it sits there for more than 20 days now. I doubt about the ML amplifier is faulty although the Cd player sounds OK. I need instructions to show me how to take out the ML amplifier for inspection. Thank you!
Old 11-17-13, 05:52 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

I just went away for 14 days and had no problem with my '03 starting when I returned. Not sure why some people are having so much trouble.
Old 12-01-13, 08:36 PM
mohrd
Driver

So, I finally went to start pulling a few fuses (Radio No.1 for a start). My SC has been sitting for weeks. Popped the cover off fuse block #1. Hooked up my multimeter and waited a few minutes for ECU to settle down. The reading I get...39 mA. What the heck? Did it go into deep sleep mode sitting for a couple weeks? Was there perhaps something damp that dried out from when the PO cleaned the engine bay? I'm so confused. No excessive drain.
Old 07-03-21, 07:41 PM
Rohan10600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Philiptou
After removing the Radio #1 30A fuse ( for the ML amp), I can start the car after it has been sitting there for more than 2 weeks now. The CD player works fine and I do not think it is faulty at all. Now I need more pictures to show me how to take the amp out for close-up inspection. I read quite a few reports of this ML Amp fault and as a result, it drains the battery. Hope this can be proved and will save a lot of good batteries.
Hey mate, long shot if anyone replies after so long, but by removing this fuse, did you find any issues with audio?? Does it prevent the ML Amp from operating properly?? Is it essentially a redundant fuse??

Old 07-03-21, 09:09 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

Electrolytic capacitors go bad in 10 year old radios. 10 years is a long time for an electrolytic to last. Dont put in an old radio to cure it because it ALSO has old electrolytics. Only cure is to replace all the electrolytics. The radio still works, but the radio can draw over an amp even when turned off. Also, other circuits have electrolytics in them but not as many.
Old 07-04-21, 10:19 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohan10600
Hey mate, long shot if anyone replies after so long, but by removing this fuse, did you find any issues with audio?? Does it prevent the ML Amp from operating properly?? Is it essentially a redundant fuse??
Hey My friend, why do you think it is your amp?

The reason I ask is the SC is notorious for draining the battery. Much of the drain can be cured by shutting off the automatic headlights, turning off the radio and locking the car using the "manual flip" door locks (not the button that locks both doors at the same time)

People that do this report they can go more than 2 weeks without the battery being dead