SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

NAV System Is Not Showing Correct Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 03:31 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NAV System Is Not Showing Correct Location

This afternoon I got into Funsize, turned it on, and the Nav system popped up telling me I was in Beaumont, TX. The problem is I am in Houston. Is there a way to reset the NAV system? I have taken the battery off for about 10 minutes, at it erased the memory, but still placed me in Beaumont. I did a quick search, but could not find anything relevant to resetting the unit.

Thanks
Old 11-01-13, 10:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Did you drive around for a while and it still displayed Beaumont?
Old 11-01-13, 06:37 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Hi Harold. I drove around for 30 minutes and then reset a couple of times. I finally was able to play with the display and options and figured out a way to reset my location by moving the cursor to my location. After sitting last night it still was in the correct location. Unfortunately I don't recall where the options were so I can't recreate what I did!
Old 11-02-13, 06:57 AM
tfischer

Received 210 Likes on 157 Posts

Are you SURE you are not in Beaumont?
That would be the first thing I would check.
Old 11-02-13, 08:50 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Are you SURE you are not in Beaumont?
That would be the first thing I would check.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 11-02-13, 12:42 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Hey it's possible the car knows where it is and I don't. Seriously I think there may be something wrong with the nav system. We took a drive about 50 miles away today. About half way home the display showed that we were driving directly north, but we were headed east. I am not even sure how to start checking, but I recalibrated the system. Any help would be appreciated. It is a gen 4 unit in a 2002.
Old 11-04-13, 10:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd check the antenna connections. It is also possible that the antenna is going bad. (Most remote GPS antennas are active, not passive, antennas, so there is circuitry involved.)
Old 11-06-13, 02:17 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Default request for screen shot of GPS screen

I have read several places in the forum that there is an indication of connection to satellites on the NAV screen. I cannot recall ever seeing this, but until now the GPS has functioned very well. Would someone send a screenshot of their NAV screen? I have a Gen4 system.

Also, I am wondering if my GPS antenna may have been disconnected when the airbag recall service was performed. This is the first time the unit has acted up, and started after the service where the dash was removed. I have heard of instances where the radio antenna was not reconnected following service..
Old 11-06-13, 06:33 PM
tfischer

Received 210 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't have a screenshot, but connectivity to a sufficient number of satellites is indicated by the letters "GPS" just under the directional North arrow in the upper left corner. The "GPS" indicator is almost always on, but not in a tunnel or parking garage, or in an area with poor sky visibility (e.g.: lots of tall buildings, like lower Manhattan - I have had trouble in downtown Chicago). I think the car needs to see 3 satellites to determine position.
As for the antenna not being connected after a big dashboard service, that sounds plausible to me, and I think would prevent the "GPS" indicator from lighting up. If that's the case, I would think the dealer would be glad to connect it back up.
Old 11-11-13, 04:28 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Looks like the problem is in the NAV antenna. Thanks for the giggles and help!
Old 11-11-13, 05:00 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar problem and I'm told by the dealership that the entire dash would need to be removed to check for proper antenna connection. Is this correct?
Old 11-11-13, 08:00 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Check out Post #166. Does it result in any change on your location? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post7678340
Old 11-11-13, 12:19 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Autoplak
I have a similar problem and I'm told by the dealership that the entire dash would need to be removed to check for proper antenna connection. Is this correct?
Apparently there is a LONG list of tests that can be run to check antenna functioning without removing the dash. The right computer can also recalibrate the NAV unit. Something better than a consumer code checker. Gotta trust the guy - he is good. Apparently the repair involves dash removal though (8 hours?) and the antenna isn't cheap either.
Old 11-17-13, 01:27 AM
lolabunny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be in the wrong place, but can somebody break down this whole navigation thing?

For example, just answer this: is the navigation system more/less efficient and useful than an iPhone?

I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I just purchased a 2002 sc today and I'm inquiring.
Old 11-17-13, 05:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lolabunny
I might be in the wrong place, but can somebody break down this whole navigation thing?

For example, just answer this: is the navigation system more/less efficient and useful than an iPhone?

I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I just purchased a 2002 sc today and I'm inquiring.
The navigation in the car works fine you do need to keep up with map updates at least say every 3 years
To be honest I find a garmin to be easier to operate and much better and more intuitive . I have a dvd player running on my nav screen for MY PASSENGERS PLEASURE !!

Welcome

Quick Reply: NAV System Is Not Showing Correct Location