SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Riding loose on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 03:35 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by loveslexus
Both my low mileage SC430's wonder all over the road.

When I add coilovers, I'm going to do a front sway bar with new end links and the steering bushings to see what happens.
Originally Posted by bimmer416
I did it myself in my garage, there are a few threads on this but here is mine:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...k-bushing.html

I just got the daizens from TM engineering and im happy with them... it cost me about 200$ for them shipped to Canada... it will probably be around 140$ for you.. i got the control arm, steering rack and sway bar bushings in that amount.

It was not super easy but not that hard to do either, just takes time and patience with right tools.. I burnt the bushings out, and for the castor arm i wanted to use OEM sleeve so i had to burn that out of there and used a wire wheel to clean it... but all i can say is that the effort was WORTH IT, it made a huge difference in the car. It doesnt wander, rides straight and feels sharp!!

Which sway bar did u guys end up getting? Which brand?
Old 11-18-13, 09:19 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Anion
Which sway bar did u guys end up getting? Which brand?
Hey Anion,

i did not change my sway bar, i dont think there is a need as im not tracking or anything.. not even sure if it would make a difference for a normal driver maybe someone who has changed can tell us? other then that i have added a upper strut brace which has made the front end feel alot lighter/stable, specially when turning. I wish i could fit a rear one but unfortunately there would be in the way of the roof :/
Old 11-18-13, 09:34 AM
Anion
Pole Position

i think im just being iffy about my ride...i came from a 2008 Acura TL...and my car came with stock front sways...that feels stiffer than the sc430's ...

i think its a personal thing...i dont track or anything..i baby my SC ...

and about the rear ,unless u give up your convertible is the only way :[ i mainly bought this car because of the convertible and how indestructible the engine and tranny lasts...
Old 11-18-13, 10:11 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

i think im just being iffy about my ride...i came from a 2008 Acura TL...and my car came with stock front sways...that feels stiffer than the sc430's ...

i think its a personal thing...i dont track or anything..i baby my SC ...

and about the rear ,unless u give up your convertible is the only way :[ i mainly bought this car because of the convertible and how indestructible the engine and tranny lasts...
Have you upgraded anything? if your having wandering issues or steering feels loose just replace the steering rack bushings (easy diy) thats if you cant whole front end.. it should make it alot better!, and yes the acura is more sporty and it does have a similar suspension design but more solid because of the amount of components attached to the hub specially because its a front wheel drive..
Old 11-18-13, 06:23 PM
Anion
Pole Position

i thought about doing the Steering Rack Bushings...i want to be sure to find the 100% cuprit to the slight vibration...when im cruising or increasing towards 40mph its fine... however once i hit like 50 60 ish mph it starts a slight vibration and goes away quickly...only shakes as i increase in speed..

this is my first lexus i have ever owned . However, I have lots of questions on my mind. I usually try to research first before i post any of my own threads.

My whole life I have always driven honda/acura my whole life... not to mention this is my first rear wheel drive lol... really fun and a completely different experience ...
Old 11-19-13, 08:37 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

i thought about doing the Steering Rack Bushings...i want to be sure to find the 100% cuprit to the slight vibration...when im cruising or increasing towards 40mph its fine... however once i hit like 50 60 ish mph it starts a slight vibration and goes away quickly...only shakes as i increase in speed..

this is my first lexus i have ever owned . However, I have lots of questions on my mind. I usually try to research first before i post any of my own threads.

My whole life I have always driven honda/acura my whole life... not to mention this is my first rear wheel drive lol... really fun and a completely different experience ...
Well the steering rack bushings really help with the sloppy steering, it makes it sharp and you feel more connection to your wheels.. best way to test that is at a stop try moving your steering, you will feel how loose it is.. mine was quite bad, so when i would be coming to a stop and the road was pulling my wheels to one side, i would be pulling opposite and it was way more then needed, just felt very sloppy..

now the vibration your describing, there are many who deal with that issue and i personally find that to be the suspension design since the whole hub assembly is held by 1 ball joint above and below.. I know many cars have similar but there mostly front wheels where the axle is attached to the hubs so its quite solid, and the ones that are rear wheel have a straight strut right into the front hub (solid connection).. so judging from how much the SC weighs and the RWD, in my opinion the sc needs 2 joints at the top OR bottom.. But yeah that feeling will be normal because your wheel needs to settle at a certain speed but yes replacing all the bushings makes it MUCH better, upper control arm, lower, castor.. all makes a big difference. my issue got worst because i drove without hub rings so i need hubs replaced and bearings, the car should be perfect after that

Last edited by 416tt; 11-19-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-25-13, 06:22 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Interesting... I just installed my rims on too... However it drives the same

No vibration or anything..

What I described still happens on stock wheels or aftermarket.

I must do this bushing first before anything else... It's getting cold outside and I'm lazy haha