SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Riding loose on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 03:48 AM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding loose on bumps

I have a 430sc 2002. I have been noticing lately that it seems to be loose on bumps on the road in town. On the highway it is still very smooth. I was thinking about taking it to a alignment shop and having the bushings checked. Is there anything else I should get checked?
Old 11-13-13, 07:15 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't know what being "loose on bumps" means. I know what "smooth on the highway" means, but bumpy looseness is new to me. Do you mean noisy? Or harsh or firm? The answer panel is requesting more information.
Old 11-13-13, 08:03 AM
igorxx
Driver

I mean it seems loose , it doesn't really make a rattle noise but it just seems loose. Not tight and in control like it once was.
Old 11-13-13, 08:44 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my low mileage SC430's wonder all over the road.

When I add coilovers, I'm going to do a front sway bar with new end links and the steering bushings to see what happens.
Old 11-13-13, 08:54 AM
tfischer

Surely you mean "wander," although in many respects the car is a wonder.
Old 11-13-13, 09:04 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine does the same thing, even though I switched out all four shocks. I have always considered it normal for the SC430, but I could be wrong.

I have learned to live with it and ignore it, as I'm pretty confident that's just the design of the suspension.
Old 11-13-13, 10:00 AM
tfischer

The 2002 had an early recall or upgrade program for the bushings, which were replaced at no charge in my car sometime during 2002, as I recall. This was to address complaints from early owners of harsh ride (compounded by those original, dreadful, hard-as-rocks run-flat tires). Perhaps you should look to see if the original bushings were replaced with the modified versions.
I had that done, and then (eventually) replaced the runflats with the Michelin Pilot Sports. Each of these things produced a clear improvement in the ride of the car.
Old 11-13-13, 10:37 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my car did same, for example if the road was leaning toward left, wheels would pull me there while im pulling steering to the right.. was quite dangerous.. steering rack bushings made a huge difference for me but i went ahead and replaced all the bushings in the front end and the car is now solid! it narrowed down my vibrating issue also to the hubs which i think may be slightly bent. but ya the car feels great with the bushings and allignment was accurate for first time, before my steering would always be off :/
Old 11-13-13, 11:56 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Isn't getting bushings installed expensive? It's not something that you can do in your garage on this car correct?

What bushings do you recommend and where can you buy them?

Last edited by loveslexus; 11-13-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 12:15 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loveslexus
Isn't getting bushings installed expensive? It's not something that you can do in your garage on this car correct?

What bushings do you recommend?
I did it myself in my garage, there are a few threads on this but here is mine:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...k-bushing.html

I just got the daizens from TM engineering and im happy with them... it cost me about 200$ for them shipped to Canada... it will probably be around 140$ for you.. i got the control arm, steering rack and sway bar bushings in that amount.

It was not super easy but not that hard to do either, just takes time and patience with right tools.. I burnt the bushings out, and for the castor arm i wanted to use OEM sleeve so i had to burn that out of there and used a wire wheel to clean it... but all i can say is that the effort was WORTH IT, it made a huge difference in the car. It doesnt wander, rides straight and feels sharp!!
Old 11-13-13, 01:34 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Someone mentioned Daizen and TM are out of business.
Old 11-13-13, 01:59 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loveslexus
Someone mentioned Daizen and TM are out of business.
Thats what I was told, but I went ahead and took the risk as there prices are great and I noticed only a small amount of people complain but only about shipping and response time but there were more positive reviews... I ordered the steering + control arm ones then one of my castor arm bushings had a slight bite on the lip when pressing them into the arm so I emailed them and they responded in 2 days and were willing to replace them free but It wasnt a big issue, so i left that... Then i noticed they had the sway bar ones also and I told them that i did not notice them before so they sent me them free shipping !

So my recommendation would be to go ahead and order, they have also added a few OEM suspension parts for the SC.. plus its through paypal so your good.. I ordered them and didnt bother messaging or emailing.. i recieved automatic replies and reciepts so I just waited, they showed up within a week. Im pretty sure there not out of business.
Old 11-14-13, 10:36 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Default "loose"

I am considering a SC 430 and the comment on "loose" is one of the reasons I hesitate and I totally relate to that after test driving several. Coming from BMW that "loose" feel is very disturbing. I am told run flats might have something to do with it but not sure my BMW had run flats with sport suspension the ride was hard but not loose. I would like to know more as this factor scares me not safety just enjoyment and obviously highway is fine.
Old 11-15-13, 09:13 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I believe when you mean loose, the car bumping up & down a little bit before it settle down. Remember the SC don;t have a firm sport suspension. Beside, its soft. Instead of settle down right after a bump, our SC will rattle up & down feel time like a Camry. That why its smooth on free way, the soft suspension constantly adsorb small uneven bump/rattle. When it react to a big bump, it usually take longer to settle. I have the same issue driving in NYC before I swap to Coil-over
Old 11-15-13, 12:46 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gpz
I am considering a SC 430 and the comment on "loose" is one of the reasons I hesitate and I totally relate to that after test driving several. Coming from BMW that "loose" feel is very disturbing. I am told run flats might have something to do with it but not sure my BMW had run flats with sport suspension the ride was hard but not loose. I would like to know more as this factor scares me not safety just enjoyment and obviously highway is fine.
i know exactly how you feel coming from an bimmer perspective.. now there is two meanings to loose, one is that bushings crappying out, ball joints wearing out, and second is the suspension design/feel itself..

bushings and ball joints wearing out is normal as on my 330i my LCA bushings crapped out giving me this funny wobble so i replaced them with poly's.. I had to do the same with my SC to get that sharp feel solid feel..

now the second loose feeling can be referred to the suspension design, between compact cars and luxury cruisers the difference is the weight and the type of feel they are suppose to have..

You will notice that the compact cars/sports weighing from 2500lbs to 3500lbs will have a solid connection to the hub from top while a ball joint only at the bottom.. it gives a sporty (feel the road) type handling.. now a car weighing more then that will always have more ball joints giving it a softer feeling and specially the cars that are designed for only comfort like the SC. SO if you look at the SC's suspension design, it has only a ball joint above and below and not a solid joint like the smaller cars and thats for weight, comfort purposes and it will not give you that feeling of being connected to the road and that solid feel like bimmers, and also what grabber2 said above about the settling,,

the best way to describe feeling in both cars is bimmers how ever much you turn the steering you can pretty much feel exactly where they are, on the other hand in the lexus you cant.. you gotta move to tell where it will go but again its a whole different style and different experience.. its why i keep a bimmer for my sporty fun drive and lexus for my relaxing cruise

Quick Reply: Riding loose on bumps