SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

considering buying a SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 05:19 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a really great answer thank you. I drove a beautiful 2004 today at the dealer Egyptian Sand with saddle only 21,000 miles expensive $32,000. The ride wasn't as bad as the other one i drove awhile back but for sure there was no fun factor. I think you are right one has to change there approach driving this car. It was total comfort though and I sat in a SLK afterwards and it was really cramped. The only thing with the SC as I was driving I said to myself why don't I just get a 4 seat convertible either a Lexus or a BMW 3 series because the SC doesn't feel like a roadster so why even go there ? Maybe I am wrong and it would grow on me.

Originally Posted by bimmer416
I find the slk has a very compact design and looks really claustrophobic, i mean it looks to compressed in my opinion.. the z4 on the other hand has a nicer design more of a guy's car in my opinion but again the room is same on the inside and the soft top :/... I myself have owned 3 series, 6, b7, and now M3, in terms of reliability between all these and maintainence cost, my 02 330 was the best as i really pushed that car nearly to limits.. the only issues i had were after 150k km.. the throttle body which is common, alternator, battery, a wire that burnt in rear light (was recalled).. sunroof shade clip breaking (common) repaired myself... and the coolant expansion bottle with a hairline crack (replaced myself also).. Now i drove that car to 290k km and sold it and all i can say is that it still drove like brand new, I had probably spent around 2000$ for issues from what i remember in the 5 or 6 years that i owned it ...So the only Z4 i would go with is the ones with the 3.0 litre and not the 2.5L, because that 3.0L was a masterpiece and definately alot of fun to drive!

I love german cars and have tried bmw, audi, and benz and never thought i would ever get a japanese car but the SC has really made it to my heart over short time. Obviously maintenance has costs (timing belt, ball joints, bushings, brakes, etc..) but this is one car I can always get inside with piece of mind and not worry about anything going wrong and i think easily until 400k km.. the only thing that has given me a hard time was the ride, well wobble shake issues to be more specific and to be honest it wasnt bad at all until I put wheels and drove without hub rings.. replacing bushings made everything better but i think my hub is slightly bent from driving without hub rings.. so again mostly my mistake because of my inexperience with customizing as i never had to do that with my previous cars and again there are many riding without any issues at all so if you do something you gotta do it right, many experienced members on here suggest mods that improve the car alot such as coilovers, bushings, etc.. not to make it sporty but to make it more comfy and ride smoother..

now it terms of handling, yes this is sort of a boat as you describe it but i have learned that you have to enjoy this car for what it is, its a luxury cruiser which requires mostly a relaxed driving style and is definately a head turner, i mean for me the perfect look for it is with staggered 20's but i really dont think there is a car out there in and under its level thats better looking.. I also learned this from the amount of compliments i get and seeing people always stopping to look at it then they walk around to check the badge plus there isnt many around which makes it rare and it definately has this exotic look to it. I specically love the wide smooth body and if lowered slightly with big wheels it definately looks INSANELY Beautiful and I can say that anyone owning it will learn to recognize how beautiful it is plus its definately a step up from slk or z4.

aside from a relaxed driving style, the car is more roomy then other two, has seats in rear if needed for kids or desperately for adults, many standard features which are options in the other 2. Very smooth design where many cant tell if its a convertible unless there experienced with cars (big plus for me).. It looks proportional with the roof up or down and as mentioned wont handle sporty, if you like feeling the road, flying around corners, speeding through traffic, cutting between cars, this isnt the car for you..

Last edited by gpz; 11-15-13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-16-13, 06:57 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Harold57 is almost correct ("If you don't like the car, don't buy it"). I would say that if you don't LOVE the car, don't buy it. Trust me--after a few month, initial car love typically fades to car like (and for my SC, stays there), while initial car like typically fades to . . . . It will not grow on you. Based on your comments, I predict that if you buy an SC now, you will be listing it on Craigslist before a year has passed, and you will be wondering what to buy (next). It does not appear that the SC is the car for you. I suggest you keep wondering (now).

Last edited by MadHungari; 11-16-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 09:58 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MadHungari
Harold57 is almost correct ("If you don't like the car, don't buy it"). I would say that if you don't LOVE the car, don't buy it. Trust me--after a few month, initial car love typically fades to car like (and for my SC, stays there), while initial car like typically fades to . . . . It will not grow on you. Based on your comments, I predict that if you buy an SC now, you will be listing it on Craigslist before a year has passed, and you will be wondering what to buy (next). It does not appear that the SC is the car for you. I suggest you keep wondering (now).
I agree. If you have to talk yourself into it, don't buy it.
Old 11-16-13, 06:22 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How can you not want a beautiful interior like this?

Old 11-16-13, 06:57 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Default interior

without a doubt that interior is top of the line and a huge selling point but not the whole picture. Actually I am considering the LS which has the same engine and going the flagship route but still would love a real roadster. Probably if I had my choice it would be a SL 500 but that is a nightmare as far as reliability. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-16-13, 07:01 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned 2 Corvettes, one SL500, BMWs, Infiniti and more. When I bought the SC430 I fell in love with it and after three years, every time i get behind the wheel I smile. Yeah, its not a sports car, so if you need one go get one. But if you love the idea of driving with the top down and enjoying a smooth ride with ample power for most things lawful, and a few a little above the law (yeah I got my first ticket in 25 years in my SC), it's a great automobile.

Oh yeah, and when people stop you to comment about the beautiful car? That's just gravy on top.

Old 11-16-13, 11:07 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Default you inspired me

o.k. you guys inspired me i am going to take another try. I live here on the ocean in Southern California and what i really want to is to cruise down PCH in a convertible so i guess there is nothing better for that than the SC for that. I wish I could take one out for a full day maybe I can. I don't see them available to rent ? Thanks !

p.s. so what year up to 2005 is going to give me the tightest/best ride ? Also how many miles is a safe bet ?

Last edited by gpz; 11-16-13 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-17-13, 12:49 AM
lolabunny
Driver School Candidate

I just bought the sc 430 so obviously i'm biased, but i would by the sc over those other cars!
Old 11-17-13, 12:51 AM
lolabunny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
I've owned 2 Corvettes, one SL500, BMWs, Infiniti and more. When I bought the SC430 I fell in love with it and after three years, every time i get behind the wheel I smile. Yeah, its not a sports car, so if you need one go get one. But if you love the idea of driving with the top down and enjoying a smooth ride with ample power for most things lawful, and a few a little above the law (yeah I got my first ticket in 25 years in my SC), it's a great automobile.

Oh yeah, and when people stop you to comment about the beautiful car? That's just gravy on top.

That is so exciting to hear!!!
Old 11-17-13, 07:28 AM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Default p.s.

no way do i want to be negative on anyones cars the SC is truly a beautiful car and in it's own league. It's just when i first drove it i was surprised as it did not "feel" like what i expected. But i think one has to get into the head of what it is and was it was design for. I read the history and i am a big boating guy so i think they achieved their target going to the riviera etc.
Old 11-17-13, 06:08 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gpz
This is a really great answer thank you. I drove a beautiful 2004 today at the dealer Egyptian Sand with saddle only 21,000 miles expensive $32,000. The ride wasn't as bad as the other one i drove awhile back but for sure there was no fun factor. I think you are right one has to change there approach driving this car. It was total comfort though and I sat in a SLK afterwards and it was really cramped. The only thing with the SC as I was driving I said to myself why don't I just get a 4 seat convertible either a Lexus or a BMW 3 series because the SC doesn't feel like a roadster so why even go there ? Maybe I am wrong and it would grow on me.
Im a bimmer and audi guy mostly, but the sc has really grown on me, it will DEFINATELY on you too . Btw it has WAY better feeling after the bushings are changed to poly, very sharp and firm! But ya i myself was looking m6 and sl55 or even the quattroporte.. but m6 was soft top.. sl55 has many issues, and quattroporte has the same transmission my m3 has and the SMG pump/clutch and drveshaft end up needing replacing which is $10k +... Im super happy with the SC.. im only at 80k miles if i do find the perfect color combo like mine with super low mileage, ill definately replace for that but I think im always going to keep an SC on my driveway ..

anyhow goodluck!
Old 11-17-13, 10:48 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

great to hear this yes if i could fix the ride situation i would be cool. My BMW with the run flats and sports package is a drag but still tight but the SC is just weird. I found a really great deal on a 2002 color combination i like Egyptian Sand and Saddle $11,000 but 147,000 miles should I be worried ? The service records look good though.

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Im a bimmer and audi guy mostly, but the sc has really grown on me, it will DEFINATELY on you too . Btw it has WAY better feeling after the bushings are changed to poly, very sharp and firm! But ya i myself was looking m6 and sl55 or even the quattroporte.. but m6 was soft top.. sl55 has many issues, and quattroporte has the same transmission my m3 has and the SMG pump/clutch and drveshaft end up needing replacing which is $10k +... Im super happy with the SC.. im only at 80k miles if i do find the perfect color combo like mine with super low mileage, ill definately replace for that but I think im always going to keep an SC on my driveway ..

anyhow goodluck!
Old 11-18-13, 09:01 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gpz
great to hear this yes if i could fix the ride situation i would be cool. My BMW with the run flats and sports package is a drag but still tight but the SC is just weird. I found a really great deal on a 2002 color combination i like Egyptian Sand and Saddle $11,000 but 147,000 miles should I be worried ? The service records look good though.
definately can fix it, the loose feeling is pretty much from the bushings crapping out and im not a fan of the oem anyways, this car is heavy and it ruins them fast! I spent about 230$ for whole front end shipped to canada and installed myself if you dont want to do the whole front end, steering rack is a must and is quiet easy, would cost you around 40$! I really recommend it! I dont keep runflats, I have had bent rims in the past because of them. Im not sure what the pricing is like of the sc in america (maybe someone can help here).. for that mileage I would probably push for 9500 to 10k$, and I dont think there is anything to worry about other then its maintenance (timing belt, water pump, pulleys, drive belt, brakes), i think it might be actually time to replace the timing belt again... just make sure all the features work, navigation, cd changer, roof.. and i personally get all my cars inspected from dealer before i purchase so you might want to consider same!
Old 11-18-13, 07:27 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

thanks did you mean 95 k to 100 k milage ? So 147,000 is pushing it right ? What goes wrong at that milage ?
Old 11-18-13, 07:59 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gpz
p.s. so what year up to 2005 is going to give me the tightest/best ride ? Also how many miles is a safe bet ?
If you're looking for 2002 through 2005, I believe my 2005 has a softer suspension set up than my buddy Mandyfig's 2004. The idea was to address the harsh ride criticism from early owners. Though I think the best way to get a nice feeling ride is to ditch run flats and get regular tires ASAP if your SC comes with RFTs.

We have people owning SC's well into the 100,000s of miles and they still ride perfect. Just make sure all the maintenance was done and you should be in good shape.

Quick Reply: considering buying a SC 430