SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 02:31 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trickle Charger

Anyone using one for their SC430? Any recommendations? Cost?
Old 11-20-13, 03:09 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Battery tender jr or battery tender plus

DELTRAN CORPORATION
801 INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY BLVD
DELAND FLORIDA 3272
1 386 736-7900
Old 11-20-13, 03:32 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Battery tender junior , Walmart for about $40, a must if you don't drive daily.
Old 11-20-13, 04:25 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot1
Battery tender junior , Walmart for about $40, a must if you don't drive daily.
$19.99 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Old 11-20-13, 05:09 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harbor freight sells one for $5.You can get multi function charger for 40 from walmart.
Old 11-21-13, 06:55 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I really like the Battery Tender family of chargers. They are proven multi step chargers. They also include a pigtail that you can permanently attach to the battery and simply plug in your charger cord into the single plug without removing battery cover.

BTW, walmart.com sells the Battery Tender Jr for $23.

JR
Old 11-21-13, 07:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had a Battery Tender Plus for over 14 years and used almost daily on a show '69 Corvette I owned and now daily on my GS which is a weekend pleasure vehicle.
Great product.

Old 11-21-13, 07:58 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

Don't get a cheap "trickle charger." These chargers don't shut off when the battery becomes fully charged, and overcharging can result. The Battery Tender type of device is designed for long term use, and will stop charging when the battery is fully charged, and start charging again when the need arises. They are often used for autos kept at a second home used for perhaps half the year.
They cost more because they have electronics this process, but applying a simple charger, trickle or otherwise, for a long period of time can ruin your battery.
Old 11-21-13, 08:18 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've had a Battery Tender Plus for over 14 years and used almost daily on a show '69 Corvette I owned and now daily on my GS which is a weekend pleasure vehicle.
Great product.

A +1 from me on the Battery Tender Plus.

I received one as a gift from a friend, and it's great.

I have the permanent pigtail hooked up to the SC battery and can just plug it in whenever I need to. It also comes with the big clip leads for use with a different car (that doesn't have the hardwired pigtail installed).

Very nice product.
Old 11-21-13, 08:48 AM
tfischer

I have had the B. Tender for quite a while, and attached the pig-tail devices to each of my cars, and bought the extra long extension to use on a car parked in the drive (allowing the device to remain in the garage). This has been a great setup, as connection and disconnection takes only a few seconds. I park my SC430 for 3 or 4 months in the winter, and it always starts right up on the first warm day of spring.
(I pointed out the pigtail plug - up by the windshield wipers - to the service tech at the dealership last week and he was very impressed; I was disappointed that he was impressed with a $12.00 accessory, but perhaps it had been a slow day.)
Old 11-21-13, 09:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
A +1 from me on the Battery Tender Plus.

I received one as a gift from a friend, and it's great.

I have the permanent pigtail hooked up to the SC battery and can just plug it in whenever I need to. It also comes with the big clip leads for use with a different car (that doesn't have the hardwired pigtail installed).

Very nice product.
I just use the clips.I find it a bit easier and quicker to connect with the clamps.
My BT is 14-15+ years old and I'm getting a bit nervous and may buy a new one.

No year answer but...

Yesterday after seeing this thread I emailed Deltran and asked about the year longevity of the unit.
Their reply today.

Customer Service
11:09 AM (1 hour ago)
It’s a long term storage maintainer, as long as it is not a lead acid battery it can be left on while the battery is not in use. Thank you and have a great day!

Pamela Williamson
801 International Speedway Blvd
DeLand, Fl 32724

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-21-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 10:19 AM
tfischer

It's not easier and quicker to connect with the clamps, as you have to open the hood and leave it open while the device is attached. I think what the poster means is that she is not sure how to attach the pigtail. Also, depending on the car, the pigtail might not be long enough for it to reach from the battery and ground connections to a convenient place either at the front of the car or up at the bottom of the windshield. It's pretty easy to extend the length of the pigtail, since it's only made of standard zip cord, but it does take some time to set it up. I had to do that, but found it well worth it.
Old 11-21-13, 11:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfischer
It's not easier and quicker to connect with the clamps, as you have to open the hood and leave it open while the device is attached. I think what the poster means is that she is not sure how to attach the pigtail. Also, depending on the car, the pigtail might not be long enough for it to reach from the battery and ground connections to a convenient place either at the front of the car or up at the bottom of the windshield. It's pretty easy to extend the length of the pigtail, since it's only made of standard zip cord, but it does take some time to set it up. I had to do that, but found it well worth it.
I just use the clips.With opening the hood,connection on and off is less than 30 seconds. I'm in the garage out of the weather and this is done every week or two.

I just ordered another unit.
15 years is a long time on the present unit.The new unit unlike the older unit,comes with a inline fuse and maybe made more for today's batteries and vehicle electronics.
Maybe not but I have some peace of mind with a car hooked up in a attached garage with two bedrooms above the garage...

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-21-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-22-13, 09:38 PM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got this little Schumacher unit mounted under the hood. Sell them at WalMart. Same unit I used for five years in another vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Trickle Charger-94080028_l.jpg.png  
Old 11-23-13, 08:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have a battery tender and a battery tender/starter. Both have served me well. I am able to trickle charge 2 vehicles at the same time and am able to jump start a dead vehicle!

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger