SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Security Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 01:03 PM
tdedden
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Alarm

What brand/type of security system do most 430 owners put in their vehicle? I assume that my friendly Lexus dealer would be happy to charge me an arm, leg and left *** for one however I'm curious if there are any after-market brands that work well with the 430? If so please let me know, price range too.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-13, 06:18 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

"Most" (more than 50%) of 430 owners do not put any additional "brand/type" of security system in their vehicles, being comfortable with the electronically stable systems installed at the factory. Information that you seek is available in many prior discussions here, which you can search for. One general consensus is that adding additional electronics to cars of this complexity often causes unforeseen effects with various systems, a phenomenon encountered with remote starters as well as security systems. This is why your "friendly Lexus dealer" will probably suggest that you not install such a system on this car, enabling you to retain custody of your ***.

Last edited by tfischer; 12-13-13 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Deleted references to phony sign language.
Old 12-13-13, 07:12 AM
tdedden
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
"Most" (more than 50%) of 430 owners do not put any additional "brand/type" of security system in their vehicles, being comfortable with the electronically stable systems installed at the factory. Information that you seek is available in many prior discussions here, which you can search for. One general consensus is that adding additional electronics to cars of this complexity often causes unforeseen effects with various systems, a phenomenon encountered with remote starters as well as security systems. This is why your "friendly Lexus dealer" will probably suggest that you not install such a system on this car, enabling you to retain custody of your ***.
tfisher.... thanks for your insight.

I expected that one wouldn't want to tinker with all the factory electronics but have been interested to hear informed views like yours! I've had vehicles broken into and stolen although we no longer live in that state/area. Between the relatively low crime rate where we now live (Boise ID) and the fact that the vehicle sits in our garage most of the time gives me comfort that it won't be messed with however I must be experiencing flashbacks of times past which prompted my original question.

BTW - great color choice for your SC.
Old 12-14-13, 09:33 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Over the years I've grown skeptical of non-OEM aftermarket security systems. They mostly seem to first great for the first year or so, and then cause all kinds of (electrical, power) issues down the road.

I'm not sure how much genuine advantage you'd get with an aftermarket system over what Lexus has implemented in the SC430.