SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Adios electric antenna!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 08:23 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
...the stub seems a little "too stubby" to balance out the small rear deck we have the with SC430.... ...There's a chance I will def change my mind, if you could maybe take a few photos of the entire car with the mod. Like a monet, things might look better from far away. Here's my post on the mod I tried.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ns-please.html
Thanks for your input! I purposely made it short and chubby because to my view, the SC430 as a somewhat “fat derrière”. For the “further away pics”, it will have to way for better weather because a slopped snowy driveway and fat tires is a potentially disastrous combo…

I didn't think about the windsheild antenna... I will try this avenue before installing the hidden antenna. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by scyul; 01-28-14 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 09:34 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

scyul, great project!

Thanks in advance for your input, see below question-inquiry.

I attempted to replace mine with the Celica Mount. Please see pics below. The question is, can I use this mount and actually convert and be able to use the S2000 antenna as shown.

Old 01-28-14, 09:38 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Here's the proposal...
Old 01-28-14, 12:23 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Here's the proposal...
The piece arrowed probably slips right of if you remove the black tape.

If the chrome nut is the same, then it means that the tube is the same diameter as the SC's.
You should therefore be able to use the SC's adaptor (circled in red in post #8) on it, provided that the antenna tube is the same length...

It looks like this could work!
Old 01-28-14, 04:01 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

From what I've noticed about the Celica antenna, the angle at which the housing sits is more slanted when compared to the flatness of SC430's antenna housing. Therefore it doesn't sit flush against the body and would require some modification. Just what I've pieced together after reading other sites' DIY projects. Same situation for the Mercedes SLK antenna. Neither one just fits perfectly into the SC430 stock hole without some modification effort.

Additionally, are these antennae actually functional or just for looks? It seems to me the antenna is just a screw on type in both cases, OP and Mandyfig. From my experience if you're able to keep the motor, you will be able to get reception. You will, however, hear the motor spooling on ignition and when it attempts to readjust for signal. Scyul's mod seems to require removal of the motor, correct? Therefore you'd lose reception. Mandyfig's mod would allow keeping the motor and thus "less" loss of reception. But as I said, I switched the antenna inputs on the back of the OEM radio and I feel that the windshield antenna pulls stations just as nice as the telescoping antenna.

UPDATE: I'm sorry Scyul, I realized that you're going for looks rather than function and thus would use the hidden antenna as your true input source. Sorry, I'm having a "slow" day. I think in both cases, Scyul and Mandyfig have a good approach to the same problem but Mandyfig will try to keep the motor. If I understand correctly this time. I look forward to seeing the results. As a note to Scyul, if I ever choose to open the trunk panels, I would also choose to add a hidden antenna. I just choose to avoid it since my Aux Input blocks all signal from that input regardless and it would have just been a waste of time. On your hidden antenna though, I would highly recommend using a POWERED hidden antenna. You could piggyback off the power wire in the antenna harness you've disconnected. Just a thought. I feel that unpowered hidden antenna won't pull great signal from within the trunk, especially with all the electronic components near the antenna (ie. DVD player, amp, etc). They would just lead to interference and possibly a sharp "whine" on the radio. Just be sure to test it BEFORE mounting it and replacing all the panels. I made that mistake once.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-28-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 04:10 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scyul
The piece arrowed probably slips right of if you remove the black tape.

If the chrome nut is the same, then it means that the tube is the same diameter as the SC's.
You should therefore be able to use the SC's adaptor (circled in red in post #8) on it, provided that the antenna tube is the same length...

It looks like this could work!

UPDATE: Well, I looked at the SC antenna (removed from my car) this morning and the portion between the threaded end and the cable connector seems much longer on the SC... Not so sure anymore that this will work...
Old 01-29-14, 06:12 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
UPDATE: I'm sorry Scyul, I realized that you're going for looks rather than function and thus would use the hidden antenna as your true input source..
To ShawnOk:

Thanks for the input! I am definitely going for looks on this mod... I just couldn’t stand the “retro” look any longer! I will try the windshield antenna first but if reception is poor, I will use an amplified antenna that I plan to install on the windshield not inside the trunk.
Old 01-30-14, 09:35 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Thanks for your evaluation, both.

My goal is to replace the powered antenna with a working stubby antenna. Much like what I did with my 1996 Camry.

I took out the powered antenna all together (disconnecting the power to it). I switched the antenna cable to the Celica antenna. I knew some modification will be required to the Celica mast base. I was worried about the feasibility of it. I guess anything is feasible. I can actually butcher the Celica antenna to fit. Just worried about having enough clearance to actually be able to shove it in there to get the bolt to stand perpendicular and the chrome nut to slide and capture it without potentially allowing water to seep in. That’s the concern, water seeping in. If you will notice, Lexus allocated a drain to drain out water coming through the mast of the powered antenna.

I hope to get a breakthrough with our discussion enough for me to get into the project. Nobody else better to advice but the folks who have seen I, done it. I am just wary of the amount of work to tear down the whole trunk for nothing.

I really hate my antenna going up and down. Moving parts eventually stop moving. And they look so dated.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-30-14, 09:35 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

scyul,

Can you please take a few shots of the SC antenna and post here? It will be super.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, I looked at the SC antenna (removed from my car) this morning and the portion between the threaded end and the cable connector seems much longer on the SC... Not so sure anymore that this will work...
Old 01-30-14, 09:38 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

To scyul,

Not to hijack this thread...

Your SIG says you have JDM Lexus side markers, can you post a pic? As I have them as well but I did not use the JDM markers.

TIA.
Old 01-30-14, 09:39 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Back to the antenna project...I really want to dump my antenna, NOW!
Old 01-30-14, 11:55 AM
scyul
Pole Position

To scyul,

Not to hijack this thread...

Your SIG says you have JDM Lexus side markers, can you post a pic? As I have them as well but I did not use the JDM markers.

TIA.
There you go!

Here's the thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tallation.html
Attached Thumbnails Adios electric antenna!-476743_10151302940061069_1201671224_o.jpg  

Last edited by scyul; 01-30-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 11:56 AM
scyul
Pole Position

scyul,

Can you please take a few shots of the SC antenna and post here? It will be super.

Thanks.
I'll take a pic for you before the weekend...
Old 01-31-14, 09:04 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Fantastic, thanks a lot. If there is one thing that I really want done, it is this antenna swap, other than the LED tails. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-14, 09:05 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Great! Now I do remember coming across this type of side marker. I like it. Mine is more like the Euro style and Japan style, squarish.

Quick Reply: Adios electric antenna!