SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anything can go wrong does....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 06:52 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I'd go after the dealer. If you don't want to go to the trouble of suing them, I'd leave reviews on Yelp and google at the very least. Also on Facebook if they have a page. They should cover the cost of the repairs, plus any depreciation on the value of the car.

I've had good results publicly shaming bad companies. Bad reviews can cost them a lot more than it would cost to fix their mistake. Even if that "mistake" was intentional.
Old 02-04-14, 06:58 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This car was at a ford dealer. It is obviously NOT a CPO. However, it is still under Lexus warranty until August. I've alrerady priced a Lexus 8 year/100k mile zero deductible, which is what I will be adding. Since I have filed a claim for the hail dents with my insurance company, I know they will use the cheapest method, since they could get left holding the bag on this (as far as they are concerned). I'm using a reputable body, that I have used before and they will make sure the job gets done right. I know I've only had the car for 3 days, but I now feel comfortable with the situation and feel that I got a great deal on it. The first 24 hours I was in a state of shock. The end result will be owning a 2010 SC 430 (of which there are only 329 made), it just happens to be the color combination that I love and it will have a Lexus warranty until 2022. Back when Steve was still making Luxlink, I purchased a couple of extra ones and by next week, this SC will have the luxlink installed. Yes, I went from shock to being back in my dream-or driving my dream!
Old 02-04-14, 07:09 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
This car was at a ford dealer. It is obviously NOT a CPO. However, it is still under Lexus warranty until August. I've alrerady priced a Lexus 8 year/100k mile zero deductible, which is what I will be adding. Since I have filed a claim for the hail dents with my insurance company, I know they will use the cheapest method, since they could get left holding the bag on this (as far as they are concerned). I'm using a reputable body, that I have used before and they will make sure the job gets done right. I know I've only had the car for 3 days, but I now feel comfortable with the situation and feel that I got a great deal on it. The first 24 hours I was in a state of shock. The end result will be owning a 2010 SC 430 (of which there are only 329 made), it just happens to be the color combination that I love and it will have a Lexus warranty until 2022. Back when Steve was still making Luxlink, I purchased a couple of extra ones and by next week, this SC will have the luxlink installed. Yes, I went from shock to being back in my dream-or driving my dream!
The factory warranty is 4 years 50,000 miles at least that was what it was in 2005. So when you buy an extended warranty the first 4 years of that warranty are paid for with the original warranty then before the factory warranty expires you have to buy the extended warranty. The lexus plat extended warranty will cover you after the four year factory warranty so a 8 year extended warranty is really a 4 year warranty with a mileage cap . Unless you bought the warranty fro another seller.
Old 02-04-14, 08:03 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrblister
The factory warranty is 4 years 50,000 miles at least that was what it was in 2005. So when you buy an extended warranty the first 4 years of that warranty are paid for with the original warranty then before the factory warranty expires you have to buy the extended warranty. The lexus plat extended warranty will cover you after the four year factory warranty so a 8 year extended warranty is really a 4 year warranty with a mileage cap . Unless you bought the warranty fro another seller.
You are absolutely right and I am wrong. I just checked. I guess I will check with Mercury Insurance for their warranty. I can get at 7 year with them, so I need to see if they are 7 years total or 7 years from now. Quite a change in the last few years. It used to be additional and you used to be able to get a warranty even if the car was no longer under warranty, as long as you just purchased it. Thanks for the heads up Mrblister.
Old 02-04-14, 11:11 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

The pair of them definitely make for a good looking driveway! We are all pulling for you!
Old 02-04-14, 12:06 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Here is the current warranty deals

1. Lexus warranty good until aug 2018 for $1950

2. Mercury breakdown insurance good until aug 2020 for $1100

They are both good until the SC has 100k miles on it so I'm basically getting 2 more years from Mercury and can take it to any Lexus dealer or any other shop. To get 2 more years for $850 less in substantial to the wallet.

They are both zero deductable and cover the same components. Seams to me obvious. Those who argue about third party warranty, I have no complaints with my 02 SC, which still has 1 1/2 years to go on its third party warranty, which is transferable to the new owner. That warranty has paid out over $4k in repair and cost $1230 back in 2008.

Again, thanks to mrblister for the correction on the time limits. Mercury starts the clock when you buy the warranty, rather than when the car was new
Old 02-04-14, 06:17 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Lexus Platinum warranty and have used it a few times. I'm not sure how Mercury would handle the issues below. Lexus Platinum handled the no charge with loaner cars.

I had my 08 in the shop 3 times for drivability issues. It was hesitating at mid throttle application occasionally. Lexus never charged a dime. All of the time was for diagnostic. They replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor ECU, fuel injector service and it still occasionally was loosing power mid throttle. Tech asked if he could drive it home with computer connected. The gas tested borderline, something about knock values were off. They ran tank dry, filled it up with gas from local BP and problem was resolved. BAD GAS, NO CHARGE FOR DIAGNOSTIC.or for the loaner for the week.

They also replaced a chrome wheel insert that had flaked. It was not covered factory rep agreed as good will since I had extended warranty.

This week they replaced a TPMS sensor at no charge and reprogrammed. The valve stem had a chip in it, making it difficult to add air.

None of the above were break down issues.

I am very cautious when it comes to 3rd party warranties as i got burned years ago when Warranty Gold's underwriter went bankrupt and I was left with a worthless piece of paper.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-04-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 06:48 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I have the Lexus Platinum warranty and have used it a few times. I'm not sure how Mercury would handle the issues below. Lexus Platinum handled the no charge with loaner cars.
JR
Most of the work on my SC is done at the local Lexus dealer and I have a very good relationship with them. I am always given a free loaner (even for oil changes) and they give me my choice of whichever loaners are available. On a number of times, repair work has been done gratis when it wasn't related to warranty items, including an alignment. They have also worked very well with my warranty company. This is my 5.5 year of a 7 year contract and I have no complaints. I also use luxury Motorworks (inventor of luxlink) and he occasionally does warranty work and has never had a problem with coverage or payment. I consider price along with the longest term I can get and pay great attention to reviews of companies. No complaints here.
Old 02-04-14, 10:25 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have about 3 years left on my 8yr/100k Lexus warranty on my 08. I'm going to price Mercury and see what they can offer. I can get a 70% premium refund from Lexus if I cancel.

I didn't realize that Mercury offers a range of products, home, umbrella, car, extended etc. I might just price them all. State Farm ticked me off after they cancelled my homeowners after almost 40 continuous coverage and Zero Claims. I was randomly selected as they are slowly pulling out if Florida Homeowners. They also no longer write Homeowners in Florida.

JR
Old 02-04-14, 10:34 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the current warranty deals

1. Lexus warranty good until aug 2018 for $1950

2. Mercury breakdown insurance good until aug 2020 for $1100
Hello Mr. Solman: Can you please post how to contact Mercury Insurance or send me a PM. I am interested in this for my GX and SC.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-14, 04:26 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So sorry to hear about the hail damage. I feel for the driver also. I had a palm branch fall on our 07 ES350 after moving to Fl. I took it to the local Lexus dealer & a Toyota dealer and asked at both places if they could do paintless dent removal. Both places said no it had to be painted. Talked to my neighbor and he gave me the name of someone he had used. Both places were either were very close to $700. Had the dent guy do it for $125 and it was done in about 1 1/2 hour, instad of three days and you couldn't tell where the dents were. I wasn't paying, I just didn't want to have other than factory paint on it.
Old 02-05-14, 05:49 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Anyone interested in mercury breakdown insurance-here it is. Not sure if they are national or regional though. I've carried mercury car insurance for years and have been very satisfied with claims I've made. I know there have been a lot of bad things from 3rd party warranty companies but at least this is offered by a reputable company. BTW, I'm a teacher and am not connected with mercury in any way. ( my disclosure-lol)

http://www.mercuryinsurance.com/insu...rotection.html
Old 02-05-14, 10:48 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks great. Sorry to hear about the problems. If you have a chance can you measure the base of the side mirrors and see if they are the same size as the earlier model?
Old 02-05-14, 01:32 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

...Back when Steve was still making Luxlink, I purchased a couple of extra ones and by next week, this SC will have the luxlink installed...
I'm very curious how this works out. Always wondered if the LuxLink would work on a 2010 SC.

I know the switch that controls the roof looks very different than the 2002-2009 switch. No idea about the electronics side of things.

Keep up posted, please.
Old 02-05-14, 02:38 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Habious
I'm very curious how this works out. Always wondered if the LuxLink would work on a 2010 SC.

I know the switch that controls the roof looks very different than the 2002-2009 switch. No idea about the electronics side of things.

Keep up posted, please.
Steve claims it should work. I would be very disappointed if it doesn't. I've been storing a brand new luxlink for a couple of years for this car. I think I'll be taking it in next week, so ill let you know. He doesn't think we can get the backup camera working though because the nav is hdd based rather than DVD. Well see.

Quick Reply: Anything can go wrong does....