SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anything can go wrong does....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14 | 12:01 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Default Anything can go wrong does....

I had a couple of threads on how I was fulfilling my dreams of being an owner of a 2010 SC 430. Things were looking good. Loved the red with camel interior. Price was negotiated where I thought it was fair. I paid a closed transport to taken it from the dealer in Texas to me in southern cal. The driver opens the back up and other than dirty the sc looked sweet, until I looked closely and found hail damage on the hood (extensive) as well as lesser damage to the roof and trunk. The driver now says it was too dirty to notice and the dealer says the driver signed off on it. The driver, of course says it was enclosed so how could he be responsible. I'm thinking of just letting my car insurance pay and let them figure out who pays. Me- I'm just waiting to start the dream. Other than the hail fiasco-I love the car. Soon to come: differences in an 02 vs 2010!
Old 02-03-14 | 12:38 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

can't believe this is happing to you. I know this is your dream car. I feel for you.
Old 02-03-14 | 12:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

sorry to hear about the hail damage. Hope things work out with the dealer and shipping company
Old 02-03-14 | 12:44 PM
mandyfig

Must be a major let down but hail damage can easily be restored, if properly done. Best thing, not look at it.

And best of luck to you.
Old 02-03-14 | 02:18 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

This really sucks... If the dealer said the driver signed off on it and didn't even ask anything else, I really think the dealer knows about the hail damage and didn't wash the car intentionally so that the driver can't see them. I can't believe the dealer didn't wash the car before it was transported to you...If you were to pick up the car in person, any dealership should give you a clean car inside and out. There is no good faith about this dealer at all. What a cheater!!!! Then again, maybe that's why they sold you at a price that you were asking for because they know the hail damage to begin with.
Old 02-03-14 | 02:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bb430
This really sucks... If the dealer said the driver signed off on it and didn't even ask anything else, I really think the dealer knows about the hail damage and didn't wash the car intentionally so that the driver can't see them. I can't believe the dealer didn't wash the car before it was transported to you...If you were to pick up the car in person, any dealership should give you a clean car inside and out. There is no good faith about this dealer at all. What a cheater!!!! Then again, maybe that's why they sold you at a price that you were asking for because they know the hail damage to begin with.
I would seek legal advice. You never know what else is lurking. Was the purchase through a lexus dealer
Is the car a CPO ? If so the hail damage would have to be [ or should of been reported ] noted. The selling dealer had to know you were going to see the damage. I smell a law suit.
Old 02-03-14 | 03:51 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Man, sorry to hear the car wasn't exactly what you expected. Your experience confirms my personal reluctance to purchase a vehicle sight unseen. I generally trust people, but unfortunately, there are a lot of crooks out there. Best of luck in getting the situation resolved. On the bright side, it's awesome that you have one of the few 2010 models!
Old 02-03-14 | 04:10 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

UNBELIEVABLE, I really feel fot. Your dream will come and we're looking forward to the good news.
Old 02-03-14 | 05:23 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

I've already decided to turn it over to my insurance company and let them deal with it. I received a quote this AM for $4200. I think that the driver is getting a bad deal on this, but he should have never accepted a dirty car. I have now reviewed all the dealer pictures and see NO damage, but I say that with a word of caution because I took pictures of the damages this am for everyone involved and it is really hard to catch it on camera. You look with the naked eye and its so obvious and then you look thru the camera and it all disappears. However, You can clearly see the damage by the last picture. Well, anyway, here is my baby!
Attached Thumbnails Anything can go wrong does....-img_3997.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4000.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4002.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4005.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4011.jpg  

Old 02-03-14 | 05:25 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

and pictures of the new with the old. First year 02 and last year, 2010
Attached Thumbnails Anything can go wrong does....-img_4013.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4016.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4017.jpg   Anything can go wrong does....-img_4018.jpg  
Old 02-03-14 | 06:04 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Default Solman's Plight

Hello to all forum members! I am "new" here to this forum, but have been a loyal follower for quite some time. I feel as though I know some of you already! Nice to have a place to chat about our fine automobiles. I purchased an '08 SC430/Starfire Pearl with 5,010 orig. miles on it Nov. 2013. It now reads 5,028 as it is in 'storage' until springtime. I am also the proud owner of a '98 SC400/ Silver Metallic (45,200 miles), and finally an '02 LS430 Millenium Blue Pearl (34,800 miles). Sorry for the long introduction, but you now know my passion for these cars as well.
I have been taking a particular interest in Solman's story, as I have been following his dream for quite some time. I am inclined to agree with Mrblister on this one. I for one would be WILD! The automobile was obviously mis-represented at the very least. Please keep us posted Solman as to the unfolding drama. I wish you the best, and hope the SC430 is brought up to original standards soon. Enjoy your new acquisition. These are phenomenal automobiles. My best to the forum!
Old 02-03-14 | 06:24 PM
FLYCT

I want to throw up.

Have you looked into painless dent repair? I've seen them do magic with hail dimples.

I'm very surprised the driver didn't catch it. The 2 cars I had delivered had EVERY little blemish marked by the driver. Some were so minor I couldn't see them.

JR
Old 02-03-14 | 08:21 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Have you looked into painless dent repair? I've seen them do magic with hail dimples.

I'm very surprised the driver didn't catch it. The 2 cars I had delivered had EVERY little blemish marked by the driver. Some were so minor I couldn't see them.

JR
Now that I've turned it over to my insurance company, I don't doubt that if there is a cheaper way to do it, they will choose that method. I feel as though my body shop, which I've used before will work with the insurance company so as not do something that will degrade my SC. I've used this shop many times for doing custom work and they match up Lexus paint so you cannot tell the difference. The fact is that I now feel better about the situation because the rest of the SC is what I was expecting. While I feel sorry for the driver that I really don't believe he is at fault for the damage, he screwed up this job by not checking this car thoroughly. I'm done trying to figure this out. I'm paying my $250 deductable and while I'd really like to get it back, it'll be worth it to get the body back in new condition. If this ins company had get someone to pay up, I'll get my deductable back.

On this upside this is what I love about the 2010 SC

Puddle lamps + turn signals in mirrors
Love the audio Bluetooth which will play Internet radio
It has XM which I don't need with Internet radio
Love having my USB drive with the ability to operate it from the steering wheel controls
No reason to ever open the radio door since all can be operated from steering wheel/touch screen
Not sure ill ever use it but yes the cd changer is now a DVD/CD changer and it does play videos with the car in park
Love that the Bluetooth pick up the music on my iPhone w/o touching the phone
The adaptive lights turning with the steering is cool and works well
I love my camel interior compared to ecru-low maintenance
I dig this color of red
I already moved my Lexus spare tire kit to the 2010
Will switch out my runflats when I sell my 02 as well as will have the wheels chromed
My attitude has improved from this morning!!!
Old 02-04-14 | 05:28 AM
momssc
Driver

Well paintless dent repair is the way to go. Find one with a good rep. I have a friend that owns a body shop and he says all the time, the factory paint job is always the best because of the way its applied. The only spot that may be trouble for them to get to would be the roof. The hood and the trunk will be easy and you will not ever know. Or more like ONLY you will know but no one else.
Old 02-04-14 | 06:37 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by momssc
Well paintless dent repair is the way to go. Find one with a good rep. I have a friend that owns a body shop and he says all the time, the factory paint job is always the best because of the way its applied. The only spot that may be trouble for them to get to would be the roof. The hood and the trunk will be easy and you will not ever know. Or more like ONLY you will know but no one else.
Definitely is those can dissapear and stupid dealer , they should have pointed that out... the pics they posted are misleading.. Lexus of where ever this was

Quick Reply: Anything can go wrong does....