SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Storms from Atlanta to Albany, from Anaheim to Austin and Beyond

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 04:58 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Storms from Atlanta to Albany, from Anaheim to Austin and Beyond

I wanted to start this thread for club members to tell about their weather experiences. The title lists cities in the US however, all international club members are encouraged to chime in.
I've read in another thread that WIL44 (Steve) said that areas of England were recently flooded from the constant rain.
Where I am in upstate NY (near Albany-160 miles north of NYC), we had 7" of snow yesterday and woke up to another 12" this morning (19-20 total) in my driveway. Hill towns had totals over 20" and western Massachusetts (Berkshire area- 30 miles away) had over 24".
The puffer (aka Garage Queen) is winter stored in the back of the garage on trickle charge and the snow blower is in prime position. The 'Winter Warrior' with 4 snow tires is doing the transportation until at least the end of March.
This winter (as one we had about 10 years ago), I call a 4 BELOW / 4 ABOVE winter, Every day is either 4 degrees BELOW zero or when it warms up (warm means mid 20s) we get 4 inches or more of snow ABOVE.
Oh well, can't wait for Spring.
Mandyfig, how are you doing in Atlanta?
Old 02-14-14, 05:39 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As a former Chicagoan, who checks their weather daily, our weather has been unseasonably warm. A person who knows a lot more about weather than myself says it has a lot to do with the weather the rest of the country has had this year-something to do with fronts. While our winter weather is typically in the 60s with a few 80s, this year it has been just the opposite. My very short commute allows me to keep my miles down, which I use my SC as a daily driver, but I don't drive it on rainy days. Not only can I not remember the last time I drove my van, but typically I drive top down going home. It is in the 40s going to work and 80 going home. Realize my work day as a retired-part time teacher is from 6:30-10 AM. life cant get much better! Of course, you have probably heard that we do have a severe drought as well. I'm sure you remember from my other threads that I recently purchased a 2010 SC and here it is at 5:30 AM sitting in the garage with top down. It spent the better part of yesterday cruising that way. Got a lot of use with the new luxlink, which is working flawlessly. I had some real concerns about that since some forum members mentioned that the SC electronics changed so much in the 2010, that it might not work. Fortunately, they were wrong.

Lest I sound like another Californian bragging about the weather, realize I put my time in the cold Chicago weather for the first 33 years of my life. No convertibles for me back then! The first half of my cold snowy life gives me a real appreciation of life in my newest home state. I don't miss the weather, but I sure miss all my friends and relatives I left behind.

Sorry, I got lengthy with my reply and basically hit every subject under the sun.
Old 02-14-14, 05:53 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After one year stationed at Griffiss Air Force Base near Utica NY we packed up and moved to Florida when I was discharged.

It's cold this morning by Florida standards. I woke up to bright sky's and 43 dF with a high expected of only 70dF.

My sister is visiting down here from Katonah, NY and she's laughing at us when we tell her that we are cold. She had to get away from the NY weather as she was getting cabin fever. Last month she did $5,000 damage to her car when she slowly slid down her driveway on black ice and hit a tree.

I really feel for our northern members. Please stay warm and stay safe.

JR
Old 02-14-14, 05:59 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT

I really feel for our northern members. Please stay warm and stay safe.

JR
Ditto! I know winter must be getting very old, even for those who love the snow. Be careful driving and keep your SC in the garage-if possible.
Old 02-14-14, 07:11 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From Northen VA ouside of DC

We got about two feet of snow yesterday but today is sunny and warmer (39*F now @10am) than it has been the past few weeks. We have had a lot more snow than typical. I heard yesterday on the news that 49 states had snow!

I grew up in St. Louis in the '60's and when the cars couldn't get up the road we walked to school. I don't remember too many snow days but surely there were a few. I left the midwest in '75 and went to the west coast: LA, Oregon, then Ensenada BC. The weather in Ensenada like S. CA is fantastic and I really loved it there. New work opportunities brought to the DC area but I wouldn't retire here - summer is nice but too far from the coast. I don't like the cold or snow.

The Silver Bullet is garaged until the sand, salt and slush/ice get off the road but is usually my daily driver. Hopefully I can get him back out next week. (I'd say 'her' if it wasn't for the growl and stance)
Old 02-14-14, 05:04 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Northern NJ. Storm after storm, one more to come tomorrow. Fortunately, my SC is safe in airport parking in Mandyfig's territory down south. I'll only pick up my SC after all that southern ice melts away next week. For now, hanging out in NNJ where the snow piles after snow clearing are taller than houses in some cases. Saw about 8 or 9 inches on the driveway yesterday before clearance crews came and a distant relative of our SC, our 2010 RAV4 riding on Dunlop Graspic winter tires, managed to push through the fresh snow with only minimal struggle. Made it the half mile to the Walgreen's on the mostly unplowed/partially plowed roads even as the snow came down. Slight slippage here and there but mostly drama free cos of the AWD and winter tires. The SC would not have made it for sure.

Our MDX riding on older Mich Latitude all seasons has been adequate in the slush and snow due to its massive weight. Would be the snow beast it used to be if the tires were new but they have about 33k on them now. Just need to exercise regular winter driving skills and we'll be OK in the MDX. Doubt I will ever really need snow tires for this heavy SUV.

Hurts me to bring the MB out in the snow ( more due to fear of salt than anything else ) but it is riding on new Blizzaks and is AWD so it will do fine. I just minimize trips out in the MB cos we have the SUVs. Just more work for me whenever the MB is out in salty slush cos I have to spray the underside thoroughly after coming home. We'd brought this car up to VT in a moderate late fall snow storm while it still had all seasons tires in Nov and it did fine.

Seems like you just need the right shoes for the weather I guess.
Old 02-16-14, 03:18 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Living in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, we have had a lot of snow and rain in the last 60 days. Kids out of school, many accidents on the road, body shops are slammed! People do not know how to drive in snow, our SC is garaged.
Old 02-16-14, 08:13 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to think I have a garage queen! Can't even get the SC430 out of the garage with all the snow piled up here in Pa. Thank goodness for the Battery Tender!
Old 02-16-14, 12:28 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by barncat
I'm beginning to think I have a garage queen! Can't even get the SC430 out of the garage with all the snow piled up here in Pa. Thank goodness for the Battery Tender!
just wait until 1May to drive your SC