SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 07:05 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

That looks really great - thanks for posting that info. I have always wished the SC had more advanced exterior lights than it does.
(By the way, regarding your first note, there is no such thing as "very unique." You surely mean either "unique" or "very unusual." The fact that the the newsguessers say it on TV does not change the meaning of the word.)
Back to business: I just visited my daughter (to see the new baby) and noticed when she hit the remote for her X5 that little lights illuminated the exterior door handles - I was very impressed as this is unusual, useful and impressive: the trifecta of automobile accessories. I hope my next car (RC350?) has features like that. Even if not useful, I would be satisfied with accessories if they impressed bystanders, as I am quite superficial. Perhaps that's why I like the SC and operate the top in public whenever I can, especially at stoplights where the guy behind me has to look.
Again: good job on that mirror modification.
Old 03-01-14, 10:00 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for all the props everyone! If I could fly and reproduce these results on everyone's SC430s, I would. I had a week off from work and decided to attack this mod. It was pretty straight forward once I figured out how to open the mirror housing. This was a pretty low dollar mod though. Only about $30 for the lights and materials, but my total increased when I broke my mirror glass and had to purchase an entire used mirror unit for $160. So topped out just under $200. Work time was about 4 hours for both sides but didn't include my overnight drying times for glue to waterproof the units.
As with my case. I recommend if anyone attempts this mod, just be careful with the glass. All other parts are pretty durable. But in regards to the glass, PLEASE PLEASE use a pry tool or tiny flat head screwdriver when actually removing the glass to separate the bottom from the white mounting plate. NOT YOUR FINGERS! Please remove the entire mirror from the car, much easier to work with and then turn the unit upside down so you can see what you're doing. Sewell sells the glass alone for $458 each which can put some pretty big holes in anyone's pocket. Anyway, onto the next mod!

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-01-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 11:24 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Great job Shawn, very impressive and a superb DIY, well done.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-05-14, 07:28 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Shawn,

So as you already know I have been interested in this mod for very long but im looking for a simpler way to do this, meaning that I want to avoid trying to cut a shape out of the mirror housing when I can just drill one hole and not because your method has any flaw, I dont want to get too creative and ruin something or have uneven shapes lol..so the question is the area where you placed your LED strip.. is there room to put an "LED Eagle Eye" ? its kind of like a bolt and I mean if there is enough room for its length inward then it would be simple to just put a hole and tighten the bolt? what do you think? my second concern is if the LED head would show from under the mirror.. but I guess ill have to order to see its size properly! i think they come in 1.5w, 3w, i have also seen 9w all per bulb.. not sure though because all of them say around 110lm to 140lm..

apparently there super bright kind of like the bulb Steve "WIL44" has placed in his reverse light but under your side mirror!

Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-capturell.png

Last edited by 416tt; 03-05-14 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 01:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

bimmer, I thought about those eagle eyes too but I really wanted a flush mounted solution that wouldn't be an eye sore (even from behind), so i didn't delve into them too much. I wanted to keep the natural look as much as possible. I looked at the eagle eyes and found that most needed more mounting depth than what is available in the middle of the mirror unit. From my estimations, there would have been no way to mount it so the light would be directed straight downward and remain hidden. Directly under the "joint" where the mirror cover meets the outlining trim around the glass, there is a metal frame that holds all the motor parts and the white backing plate to hold the glass. No way to modify the metal without messing up the components. In regards to cutting into the mirror cover, the good news was if I had screwed up a new cover usually goes for $60 new from Sewell (or ebay $25). My only options was the flat style COB LED in order to keep it flush mounted, fit in the shallow mounting depth, and throw light directly downward. I'm sure the eagle eyes can be done, but just not in the part of the mirror where I've installed mine. They would have to be moved further toward the nose of the car and that would result in them not being flush due to the curvature of the mirror cover. The only true hollow part of the mirror with manipulable space is the mirror cover that has the chrome accent.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-05-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 05:43 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Props to doing the handy work yourself. Glad to see people try new things.
Old 03-06-14, 06:00 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
bimmer, I thought about those eagle eyes too but I really wanted a flush mounted solution that wouldn't be an eye sore (even from behind), so i didn't delve into them too much. I wanted to keep the natural look as much as possible. I looked at the eagle eyes and found that most needed more mounting depth than what is available in the middle of the mirror unit. From my estimations, there would have been no way to mount it so the light would be directed straight downward and remain hidden. Directly under the "joint" where the mirror cover meets the outlining trim around the glass, there is a metal frame that holds all the motor parts and the white backing plate to hold the glass. No way to modify the metal without messing up the components. In regards to cutting into the mirror cover, the good news was if I had screwed up a new cover usually goes for $60 new from Sewell (or ebay $25). My only options was the flat style COB LED in order to keep it flush mounted, fit in the shallow mounting depth, and throw light directly downward. I'm sure the eagle eyes can be done, but just not in the part of the mirror where I've installed mine. They would have to be moved further toward the nose of the car and that would result in them not being flush due to the curvature of the mirror cover. The only true hollow part of the mirror with manipulable space is the mirror cover that has the chrome accent.
Perfect, thankyou for all the info Shawn, appreciate it! I'll definately post pics back on this thread once I attempt this and that COB stuff is definately great!

Thanks Again!
Old 03-10-14, 04:21 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Ok so enough anticipation! As Tfischer guessed, my plan is to put a switchback LED into the inner part of door handles that will serve as a running light and a turn signal! Should make for a interesting modification! It will keep the OEM look and still serve functional. I'm excited. I've already got the wires in the door panel and run through the grommets so I just have to tie in and possibly hire an electrician to help isolate the signal and parking leads and run into the cabin (unless someone can recommend a good way to tie into the parking bulb and turn signal via fuse box). I've contacted a member here who will work with me on a used handle so I can take my time with the mod rather than rush with my handles or have no way to get into the car. I'll post my progress as it comes together. Here's a little DIY I found, but I will have to mod it more as our handles are slightly different and will be using a switchback LED strip. Wish me luck! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-handles.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-10-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-10-14, 05:23 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"To boldly go where no man has gone before..." Good luck to you Shawn, and keep us up to date! This is getting good.
Old 03-10-14, 06:50 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shown
like what you did with the side mirrors, great job. in your pic. the side mirrors seems to be blinking clear. the law must be yellow only. what color do they blink. yellow or clear?
Old 03-10-14, 07:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Bacardi, the mirror lights are white and actually only light up when the security system arms and disarms- they never blink and are never lit while in motion. The proposed door handle lights will light steady as a parking lamp only and blink yellow only when turn signal is active on each respective side. Checked my Oklahoma laws, and those combinations are permitted, but I assume it's like my illegal tint and up to an officers' discretion. I try not to break any official laws (speeding, running lights, illegal procedures, etc) thus allowing an officer to fine for miscellaneous violations but thank you for the advice.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-10-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 08:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Sorry for all those that have been eagerly awaiting an update and have PM'd me regarding the next mod; the turn signals and parking light in the handles. The forum member from whom I was hoping to purchase a door handle to experiment with has deemed my endeavor not worth his time to search for the part and/or not worth the offer I made on his salvaged handle. Therefore, I've purchased one online and hopefully will be able to get to this mod this week. I've planned out my wiring already and just need the handle to plan the install. Updates soon friends!
Old 03-22-14, 01:46 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So I've run all the wires from the headlight turn signals into the cab on both sides and have only created the driver's side handle at the moment. Next week, I will finish the passenger's side handle and then make the final connections in the door. I'm thinking of connecting the white running lights to the fog light fuse to allow me to turn them on and off, just in case (and I prefer this method to a true installed switch). Let me know what you all think. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02480.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02482.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02484.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02486.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02488.jpg  

Old 03-22-14, 01:47 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Part 2 .... As you can see, I used quick connects so if the light ever burns out then it's an easy replacement without ever having to remove the door panel. I can pretty much change these items out from the exterior of the car and never have to open the interior door panel. Planning is crucial to these types of mods that I attempt. I did the same thing for the puddle light with quick connects. I always plan for future hardware failure. Hopefully I won't ever have to deal with that problem, though. Knock on wood.
Attached Thumbnails Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02490.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02493.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02497.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02505.jpg   Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals-dsc02507.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-22-14 at 03:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJHydrogen (04-04-20)
Old 03-23-14, 09:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Here's your three point, fade away, buzzer beater for the WIN...
Where the heck is the LIKE button!!!

Quick Reply: Adding Puddle Lights and Turn Signals