SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newbie SC430 Owner - A/C faceplate question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14 | 10:36 AM
RTT383
Driver School Candidate

Just so I'm clear...in order to replace just the face piece, the whole unit needs to be pulled out?

Bob
Old 05-14-14 | 12:29 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Bob, yes! The AC Control unit has six (6) clips in total holding it firmly in the dash. There are three (3) clips on each side. I'm providing more detailed pictures to help guide you in removing the control unit.

Step 1: Recommend applying tape to each side on the unit between the seams of the dash. This will prevent marring or scuffing the edges on the dash.

Step 2: Open the door to expose your radio head unit. This will allow you sufficient room to grasp the control unit with both hands firmly. You might want to apply tape to the face of the radio door to avoid marring or scratching the finish as well.

Step 3: Grasp the AC Control with two hands and firmly, but with care pull on the control unit straight back towards the rear of the car. You can use some slight wrist action (up & down) while tugging gently backwards on the unit. Take care not to over do it since three (3) harnesses are connected to the device.

Step 4: Disconnect the three harnesses from the control unit.

Step 5: View the sides of the control unit and remove screws on both sides. Gently use a small blade screwdriver with taped ends or plastic tool to pry the sides over the clips. Refer to pictures. Take care to gently remove face cover from AC Control. Installation is the reverse process
Attached Thumbnails Newbie SC430 Owner - A/C faceplate question-photo-1.jpg   Newbie SC430 Owner - A/C faceplate question-photo-3.jpg   Newbie SC430 Owner - A/C faceplate question-photo-2.jpg  
Old 05-19-14 | 07:32 AM
RTT383
Driver School Candidate

I have it all apart but I can't get the face plate to separate. It seems as though there is something still holding it to the insides. Only 2 other screws I see are on bottom and when I removed them, that allowed the inside components to come out.
Old 05-23-14 | 11:31 AM
vicini
Driver School Candidate

Thank to all for the info. My plastic front face plate fell off after a couple days. I used a little greased lightning to remove the UV film and re-glued - looks great!...This tear down info will be helpful for my next project - radio upgrade or modernization...will wait a while on that. I added a few pics for those who asked. Loving this car

Old 06-29-14 | 12:25 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So today I was going for a quick Home Depot run, and while I was driving I noticed a "crack" in the Climate Control/Clock LCD!!! I nearly freaked out.... I had the top down and driving in the super blinding sunlight! I literally yelled, "NOOOO!?!?!" People in the next car looked at me like I was having a heart attack.... which I was. Made my Home Depot errands and on the way back... was in the process of taking photos to post on this site and realized that it wasn't showing up on my camera. I was mystified. I then realized that I was wearing my new POLARIZED Oakleys. Apparently, the polarized lenses were showing the defect on the inner surface even though the naked eye couldn't see it!!!! I was instantly happy. Hooooray!

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-29-14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-29-14 | 01:32 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So today I was going for a quick Home Depot run, and while I was driving I noticed a "crack" in the Climate Control/Clock LCD!!! I nearly freaked out.... I had the top down and driving in the super blinding sunlight! I literally yelled, "NOOOO!?!?!" People in the next car looked at me like I was having a heart attack.... which I was. Made my Home Depot errands and on the way back... was in the process of taking photos to post on this site and realized that it wasn't showing up on my camera. I was mystified. I then realized that I was wearing my new POLARIZED Oakleys. Apparently, the polarized lenses were showing the defect on the inner surface even though the naked eye couldn't see it!!!! I was instantly happy. Hooooray!
Now that...THAT was funny! Hahaha! I can just picture the people in the lane next to you... Let us know if you ever replace the LCD faceplate and post pictures Shawn. Please and thank you.....
Old 06-29-14 | 01:39 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
Now that...THAT was funny! Hahaha! I can just picture the people in the lane next to you... Let us know if you ever replace the LCD faceplate and post pictures Shawn. Please and thank you.....
Well my plan was to get home and start searching for thread where someone has taken apart the faceplate... nada. Soooooo if anyone who actually has accomplished this task and/or has directions.. posting them would be helpful. It was a scary thought for sure, but I'm sure someone out there will need the help in the future, if not at the moment.
Old 06-30-14 | 02:40 AM
mujinzoo
Driver School Candidate

RTT383 and DarthSid, I have the same issue and will be ordering a new faceplate for my 2006 Tigereye. Thanks for the discussion and instruction.