SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Drilled & Slotted Rotors- Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 09:44 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So after much debate I purchased some from Ebay. I looked at all the suggested brands and those such as Brembo, Willwood, EBC, Power Slot, StopTech, etc were just way out of my price range at this moment. I decided to go with Kinetic Rotors and 8 ceramic pads (actually branded as Power Stop). They can be found on eBay under the store for BrakeMotive. From all my research, they are/were the same company. I made sure that they were an exact fit for my vehicle. I even contacted the company and they were willing to extended the 30 day return period to 60 days, if I wasn't satisfied.

As for the specifics for our cars, the front rotors is vented while the rear rotor is sold. These rotors are cross drilled and slotted, as I prefer the look more to only slotted even though I know from your advice they will have increased pad wear. This will just have to be something that I will have to keep i mind "(ie. avoid excessive braking/riding the brake). I made sure these had the highest quality in comparison to the big name brands, including G3000 casting, silver zinc dichromate finish, chamfered drilled holes, and rounded slots. The pads are premium ceramic compound, have dual layer rubber shims, positive molded, and include the mounting hardware. The set has also been thermally scorched for faster break in.

I paid a total of $195 and have called around for installation estimates. They've ranged from $140-250. Does anyone have a more accurate estimate so I don't get robbed? The other thing that I found was that some of the manufacturers are cryogenically treating their rotors. A specific brand called Frozen, and a few others, do this process. From what I've read cryogenic treatment is more for track applications but some choose to put them on daily drivers. Supposedly crygoenic are less likely to crack and have extended rotor life. Does anyone have any specific info on this topic? Thanks to all in advance. As my install progress I will update this thread with my results and reviews after some time on the road.

To all those that will bust my chops for going cheap, maybe in the near future after some saving I can upgrade to a more reputable company. (which is a common trend in my history) :-)
...as handy as you are Shawn, I would think you would have no problem installing these yourself. I replaced my rotors with drilled & slotted, about 6 months ago & love the results (looks & braking).
Old 05-16-14, 05:54 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
with all the work you do to your car. this should be a joke for you to do. fist time you do it last time a garage will do it. CAKE

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-16-14 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 08:50 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

If you do end up going with an outside shop for labor, pls ask if the price includes a brake bleed. At 250 labor, I would hope so.
Old 05-16-14, 09:27 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
we will guide you through it I you get stuck. save the money you can do it.

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-16-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 11:22 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im looking to buy a set of callahan d/s rotors. im just skeptical about the brakes it comes with.
Old 05-16-14, 11:34 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! I've done brakes and rotors on my 99 Chrylser Sebring but I just don't have the tools here this time around. At home i have a 2 ton floor jack but here I'd be stuck with my OEM scissor jack and I don't have any covered parking. I'm still debating on doing it myself or to ask a new shop that did my O2 sensor and oil change for only $150. Which is a steal! Maybe they will help me out again. New shop wants repeat business so they are going above and beyond. If they will total the job for $200, I will likely go that direction.

SC4ME, I also looked at Callahan before deciding on Kinetic/BrakeMotive. I was torn between the two and chose Kinetic/BrakeMotive only b'c I saw that every one that purchased Kinetic/BrakeMotive said that they are stamped with PowerStop labels. And PowerStop had lots of great reviews. Give it some thought.
Old 05-16-14, 06:07 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! I've done brakes and rotors on my 99 Chrylser Sebring but I just don't have the tools here this time around. At home i have a 2 ton floor jack but here I'd be stuck with my OEM scissor jack and I don't have any covered parking. I'm still debating on doing it myself or to ask a new shop that did my O2 sensor and oil change for only $150. Which is a steal! Maybe they will help me out again. New shop wants repeat business so they are going above and beyond. If they will total the job for $200, I will likely go that direction.

SC4ME, I also looked at Callahan before deciding on Kinetic/BrakeMotive. I was torn between the two and chose Kinetic/BrakeMotive only b'c I saw that every one that purchased Kinetic/BrakeMotive said that they are stamped with PowerStop labels. And PowerStop had lots of great reviews. Give it some thought.
u have a link for the other rotors, ive never heard of kinetic or the others. how much was the setup? what brakes did u choose?
Old 05-16-14, 06:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC4ME
u have a link for the other rotors, ive never heard of kinetic or the others. how much was the setup? what brakes did u choose?
I bought this exact one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/400564393912
Old 05-16-14, 07:43 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

OK so onto the next question since I have these rotors ordered. I know that rust is a common thing with all rotors experience sooner or later and humidity and water take their toll. I do know that the brushed areas will clear after driving the vehicle but what about the noncontact areas? Does anyone have any recommendation to prevent rust on the noncontact parts of the rotor (including the hub and the vanes)? I know some have said to paint the hub with high temp caliper paint, but if you use brake cleaner at any point this will bubble and peel the paint. I read lots of stuff on this "Hyde's Serum Ruststopper." Does anyone have any experience with this stuff, or any other products or advice? I checked out google for reviews and everyone says this stuff is amazing and works as described. http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html. What do you all think?
Old 05-16-14, 08:00 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

OK so onto the next question since I have these rotors ordered. I know that rust is a common thing with all rotors experience sooner or later and humidity and water take their toll. I do know that the brushed areas will clear after driving the vehicle but what about the noncontact areas? Does anyone have any recommendation to prevent rust on the noncontact parts of the rotor (including the hub and the vanes)? I know some have said to paint the hub with high temp caliper paint, but if you use brake cleaner at any point this will bubble and peel the paint. I read lots of stuff on this "Hyde's Serum Ruststopper." Does anyone have any experience with this stuff, or any other products or advice? I checked out google for reviews and everyone says this stuff is amazing and works as described. http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html. What do you all think?
...I don't think you will have an issue with the rust, because of the zinc plate. I replaced mine about 6 months ago & haven't had a problem with it. I have noticed just a small amount occasionally in the slots & also in the drillled areas( but this could be brake dust from the ceramic pads). After using the brakes a few times, it will wear the zinc off the rotor, where the pads make contact.The other areas will be protected with the zinc plating...so far,so good on this end

Last edited by texsexlex; 05-16-14 at 08:04 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 05-16-14, 08:39 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ShawnOk, if you refer to my earlier post on this thread with the drilled and slotted rotors you will see zero rust because the rotors are zinc coated. These rotors were on my coupe for two years before I replaced them with Brembos. I washed my car frequently and never had an issue with rust. Also, if you are replacing the rotors and brake pads there is no need to breed your brakes unless you are removing/disconnecting the brake line from the calipers.
Old 05-16-14, 08:42 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

are the zinc coated rotors available in stores? and shawn i was looking to use anti rust on my rotors as well. its really an eye sore, im guessing rustoleum or engine enamel for high temp?
Old 05-16-14, 09:01 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure. I purchased my rotors from brake performance. Like others you can try ebay as well.

www.brakeperformance.com
Old 05-16-14, 09:13 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

SC4ME, the ones i've ordered (Kinetic/BrakeMotive) are zinc coated but I still worry about retaining their pristine finish. From what I've read in terms of worst to best in terms of rotor rust is Zinc>Cadmium>Composite (http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Find-...7404702/g.html)

I thought if I use this Hyde's Serum to pretreat the noncontact areas, they will look better for longer. I thought about high temp paint too but I think i'd like to retain the true metallic finish rather than a paint halo around the hub. Plus, if I ever choose to use brake cleaner, I heard it will just eat up the paint, and then I will just have to remove the rotors to repaint them anyway. That would put me back at square one.
Old 05-16-14, 09:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, Darth and Tex! Darth, in your pic was the halo area around the hub painted also or is that the actual zinc finish? I also worried since you went with EBC, a much better quality item than the one's I've ordered. I thought pretreating them with this Hyde's Serum couldn't hurt before putting them on the car.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-16-14 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Drilled & Slotted Rotors- Suggestions