SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation Door won't open/No sound from speakers - fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14 | 11:50 AM
08pebbch
Rookie

Default Navigation Door won't open/No sound from speakers - fuse

The title says it all!

My navigation door will not open, and when I turn the radio on, it looks like it is playing - but no sound comes from speakers.

From digging around here, it looks like this could be a fuse problem - but both of these at the same time? Are they the same fuse? Are the fuses I would need to replace in the passenger side or under the hood?

BTW... it was pretty comical getting to the fuse thing in the passenger foot well - I am just over 5 feet tall, so it was easier to do it head down, feet near the headrest of the seat! Glad there is no photo evidence!
Old 05-15-14 | 09:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...not sure of the nav door has a fuse or not.I know there have been some threads about the doors possibly coming off track.This is something I need to address myself, but my issue is just the opposite, my nav door is open & won't close. The sound could be alot of different things...possibly amp,fade control on radio, head unit,etc...there is a set button on the steering wheel,under the volume control.You might want to check that also.It will mute the system sometimes,if you hit it accidently...hope some of this helps
Old 05-16-14 | 05:22 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

I think the problem is off the track. must check that problem first.

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-16-14 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-16-14 | 08:33 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...has anyone done a writeup on checking the track for the nav door ???
Old 05-23-14 | 10:26 AM
08pebbch
Rookie

Okay... it isn't that the nav door is stuck - these both started at the same time. Took it to a place here - they couldn't figure it out - although it seems like it is something electrical relating to the two items. We will see on Tuesday!

I was tempted to take it to an audio repair shop, but the husband says dealership (to be fair, it's not a big city... when I made the service appt. with Lexus, the advisor asked "2008? Is that the last year they made those? I don't think I've seen one newer than an 04 or 05!") - so at least the dealership will stand behind their work!

Hope it isn't some of the things I've read about here.. the Amp (almost $1000!).. if it is somehow the main radio unit, I'll be doing some quick research on which aftermarket system fits!
Old 05-23-14 | 12:44 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

It may not be your amplifier. Does the CD player work, any sound? If the display on your radio lights up you have power to the head unit. In the 02 there is a 30 amp fuse listed as Radio No. 1 and down stream a 10 amp fuse listed as Radio No. 2. For the Nav display there are two fuses. First is listed as 5 amp TV and the second is listed as 10 amp P-IG. From my experience the volume to my OEM head unit faded out completely. Four years or so Lexus had a program where you can take in your car and if the radio was determined bad, under this program they would replace your radio with a refurbished radio for parts and labor for approximately $695. Yes, my warranty had expired. I could not tell the difference from my old radio to the refurbished radio. Later I replaced my head unit with an aftermarket radio and purchased the Beatsonic integration device which allows you to keep your old speakers, wiring and amp.
Old 05-24-14 | 12:45 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

The nav screen wouldn't open - now it is open and won't close. That bank of buttons seems dead.

The radio display lights up antenna rises when it's on am/fm, looks like the radio is on, but no sound comes out.

It seems like a wiring issue - these two things are so close in proximity!
Old 05-24-14 | 01:59 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Disconnect the positive side of the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it. Let's see if this clears the problem.
Old 05-27-14 | 05:24 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

Thanks Darthsid... tried that this morning to no avail... off to the dealership today.

So their preliminary diagnosis is moisture in the trunk area of the car - could have been something as simple as leaving the top down in the rain... and the fix (yet to be determined) could be as easy as cleaning connections.. I didn't even ask what the more difficult fix would be

Driving a 2013 ES350 for the next few days!
Old 05-28-14 | 05:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Did you leave the top down ? Does your trunk leak ?
Old 05-30-14 | 02:30 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

I haven't left the top down - it doesn't leak! But I bought it 2 months ago, so who knows what happened before!

Talked to the Lexus advisor again today - he thinks it's the amp - it and the nav. button wiring are somehow connected.

Get this... they were waiting to get another SC into the service dept., to ask that owner if the service tech could take his amp out and put it into my car to see if it works!

I'm thinking if it is just the amp, the tech was wrong about water damage - this seems to be a common issue with the SC 430!

In the meantime, I am enjoying the ES350!

Update... the advisor just called - it is definitely the Navigation ECU. Nice repair bill coming up!

Last edited by 08pebbch; 06-02-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-05-14 | 02:15 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

Default Soon to be final update!

I know service advisors usually get a bum rap, but mine suggested I talk to my insurer (Selective) - because there was evidence of water damage but no seal failure - about covering this repair under a comprehensive claim. I figured, what the heck, it doesn't hurt to try, so I did. They went to the dealership around 11 today - I got a voice mail from them around 3 p.m. ...

THEY COVERED IT! Of course we have to pay our $500 deductible, but that's so much better than $2500!

Happy to be picking it up sometime tomorrow! As nice as the ES is, we have so missed driving Miss Pretty!

Thanks for your hints/advice!
Old 06-26-15 | 11:05 AM
search1110
Driver School Candidate

Default NO SOUND in ES350 2008

It is very sad you haven't said what was the reason, why you did not have the sound. I have the same issue, all of a sudden. After changing my tires in COSTCO. They said they did not tough anything. Who knows? The fact is I have no sound and I cannot open DVD drive. Radio is working but no sound and when I scan channels it will never stop. I have checked fuses, they seem to be all right.
Old 06-26-15 | 11:32 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Es350 ??

Originally Posted by search1110
It is very sad you haven't said what was the reason, why you did not have the sound. I have the same issue, all of a sudden. After changing my tires in COSTCO. They said they did not tough anything. Who knows? The fact is I have no sound and I cannot open DVD drive. Radio is working but no sound and when I scan channels it will never stop. I have checked fuses, they seem to be all right.
Its a bit confusing Do you have a sc430 or is your car a es350. If its the latter your posting in the wrong forum .
Old 06-29-15 | 06:34 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

Originally Posted by search1110
I posted the resolution and the reason - moisture in my trunk - a very costly repair covered by my comprehensive insurance coverage.

Originally Posted by mrblister
Its a bit confusing Do you have a sc430 or is your car a es350. If its the latter your posting in the wrong forum .