SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Giving This SOme Thought

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 07:11 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving This SOme Thought

FOr years I have not seen a car that has moved me aesthetically like the lines of the SC430, especially when it has a body kit on it. But lately my eye has been noticing the Jaguar XKR, the coupe. Love the lines on the car.

Just curious. Would you guys consider going with say a 2009 or 2010 Jag XKR or stay with my 2002 Lexus w/very low mileage and absolutely no maintenance or engine problems. Darn, I just finished ordering from Japan and putting on the car a full body kit and now I am thinking about selling it and getting the JAG. Have not even got the Lexus from the paint shop to even drive the car with the body kit. AM I crazy or what. I need help and some guidance here

Which do you guys believe to be the better looking car? Just curious
Old 06-16-14, 07:24 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

What body kit did you choose? Do you have any pics?
Old 06-16-14, 08:46 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The grass is always greener on the other side.
Old 06-16-14, 10:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
AM I crazy or what.
Not at all. I love both cars as well.

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Which do you guys believe to be the better looking car? Just curious
Aesthetics alone, the SC is more elegant and soft, whereas the XKR is more sporty and directed. I believe the better looking car is the XKR, but I have my reservations. The SC can be done up with some tasteful modifications, but we on CL know that we can get a little crazy with that.

The one thing about the XKR is the ragtop, which does look unappealing when up (especially if it's colored light brown or dark green). However, with the top down, the car is gorgeous. The coupe, well, is a coupe, and lacks the fresh air and sun sensation that you'll get out of the SC.

I have my SC now, but I don't think I'd trade it for an XK. The F-Type however is starting to grow on me. Real bad. Like obsessive. I'm going to wait a couple of years to see how well it does with reliability...
Old 06-17-14, 04:55 AM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not at all. I love both cars as well.

Aesthetics alone, the SC is more elegant and soft, whereas the XKR is more sporty and directed. I believe the better looking car is the XKR, but I have my reservations. The SC can be done up with some tasteful modifications, but we on CL know that we can get a little crazy with that.

The one thing about the XKR is the ragtop, which does look unappealing when up (especially if it's colored light brown or dark green). However, with the top down, the car is gorgeous. The coupe, well, is a coupe, and lacks the fresh air and sun sensation that you'll get out of the SC.

I have my SC now, but I don't think I'd trade it for an XK. The F-Type however is starting to grow on me. Real bad. Like obsessive. I'm going to wait a couple of years to see how well it does with reliability...
Phillip:

So well said. I too agree that the ragtop up on the Jag is not that appealing, But that darn coop is absolutely gorgeous. The lines on the coupe are fantastic. No car has struck me like that since the SC. Not even the porsche, which compared to the SC is ugly. But I have to take my hat off to the Jag XKR and F series
Old 06-17-14, 07:47 AM
08pebbch
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Our non negotiable convertible requirement is the hard top!

I am not sure you will have the same "no maintenance/issues" with the Jag you have enjoyed with the SC430.

Love the Jags, though...
Old 06-17-14, 09:54 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to own a Jag. The worst financial decision I ever made. Now and then you might find a good one, but on average they are terrible cars. I mean really terrible...
Old 06-17-14, 06:20 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I used to own a Jag. The worst financial decision I ever made. Now and then you might find a good one, but on average they are terrible cars. I mean really terrible...
Lex:

You are so right as I too owned a jag sports car in the 70s. Could never get beyond the electrical gremlins. But I must say that the 2007 and up Jag XKRs have gotten raving reviews over the hers in terms of reliability. No electrical gremlins or hidden mechanical traps to speak of. And I mean I scoured the forums to check that out given my past experiences. Everybody speaks of them being great cars mechanically.

But I will say nothing beats my 2002 SC430 that to date has never given me one ounce of mechanical problems. indeed, the most sound car I have ever owned. Truly a mechanical marvel
Old 06-18-14, 01:10 PM
mohrd
Driver

Funny, I was looking at XK/XKR coupes as a Jag owner when I came across the SC430. Changed my mind about getting the Jag and went SC hunting instead. The later model XK's have been very reliable. Spend some time @ jaguarforums.com if you want the low down. I'm still a forum member there.

As with any luxury/GT/sport car (Jag, Lexus, or which ever brand) that has high initial retail sales values an limited production numbers, non-warranty repairs are the biggest cost. Mostly in parts prices. I never found my later model Jag any less reliable than anything else. The stigma of temperamental is still out there which makes them a bargains on the resale market!
Old 06-18-14, 08:38 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Well I finally got a chance to get up close and examine a 2010 xor convertible and I must say I did not like it. The lines and contour simply did not do anything for me and it did not look fat off from the earlier convertible models.

I need to get up close on a coupe jag xor, as that is the car I saw passing by that I fell in love with. Maybe I will lose my admiration once I see the car up close.

But for right now, in a shoot out between the jg convertible and the SC, I prefer my SC. I am so disappointed thus far
Old 06-19-14, 09:04 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus SC430 no question. One of the most reliable cars on the planet. Class dismissed. I was at an outdoor car show in my city last weekend and was speaking to a gentleman who was wiping down his Jag XKR Portfolio edition. All was fair in love and war until I backed in my 2008 Lexus SC430 finished in Starfire Pearl and Ecru interior with 5,500 miles on it next to him and dropped the top in front of a crowd with cocktails in their hands. It got awfully quiet after that. Believe me.

Last edited by Lexeffect; 06-19-14 at 09:11 AM.