SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof opens only intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 12:07 AM
sc07
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did the problem resurface? I’m having exactly the same issue.
Old 07-20-18, 01:46 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 515 Likes on 429 Posts

SC07, not to be a jerk, but we get asked this question a lot. The answer always starts with the same statement. You need to go to the dealer to get the convertible top error codes or buy a copy of Techstream off of ebay (for about $25) and put it on an old computer. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tream&_sacat=0

I think it is the pulse width modulation in your motor, but without the code, we can't really tell you for sure. Once you get a code, we can help you solve the problem
Old 07-20-18, 02:03 PM
sc07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
SC07, not to be a jerk, but we get asked this question a lot. The answer always starts with the same statement. You need to go to the dealer to get the convertible top error codes or buy a copy of Techstream off of ebay (for about $25) and put it on an old computer. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tream&_sacat=0

I think it is the pulse width modulation in your motor, but without the code, we can't really tell you for sure. Once you get a code, we can help you solve the problem
thanks! I will go ahead and order it, there are two of the mostly identical techstream kits on the search page, order any one would be the same or any specific one?
Old 07-20-18, 03:29 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Since our cars are older, the version shouldn't make much difference. Read this post for more info https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...solutions.html
Old 07-20-18, 04:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Be aware. The Techstream software will only work with window XP (32 bit) If you have newer Window version i.e Window 10, you need to buy Techstream version 10 or higher. Even then, you need to modify your Registry for it to work. It’s complicated unless you’re computer whiz.
What you should do is buy the cable and software and ask the seller help you to install via TeamViewer.
Old 07-20-18, 07:21 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Be aware. The Techstream software will only work with window XP (32 bit) If you have newer Window version i.e Window 10, you need to buy Techstream version 10 or higher. Even then, you need to modify your Registry for it to work. It’s complicated unless you’re computer whiz.
What you should do is buy the cable and software and ask the seller help you to install via TeamViewer.

Just curious if you ever upgraded to this version...I haven’t because I am okay with the way mine is operating...this version looks really easy to load...and I agree XP 32bit is the easiest.
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...3M?usp=sharing

Old 07-20-18, 11:28 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

Just curious if you ever upgraded to this version...I haven’t because I am okay with the way mine is operating...this version looks really easy to load...and I agree XP 32bit is the easiest.
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...3M?usp=sharing
i just did. I gave the XP version to my brother, and bough the Yueku Mini VCI J2534, latest software version 13.00.22, firmware 2.0.4, for Win 10 and it costs $56.99. The installation is straight forward, but it would not connect to the car (unable to connect to VIM). No instruction how to modify the registry included. Searched the net, I found the instruction but the process is complicated. I contacted the seller and they helped me to install via TeamViewer software.
So Techstream does work with Win 10.

Old 08-09-18, 04:46 PM
sc07
Driver School Candidate

I’m back to report that the code shows: B2523 Limit switch (Roof position No.1) malfunction.

As far as the research goes, roof position switch No.1 & No.2 are integrated into a single part, the part number is 84742-24050. And my car is 2007. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct part before I place the order? Thanks.
Old 08-09-18, 05:07 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc07
I’m back to report that the code shows: B2523 Limit switch (Roof position No.1) malfunction.

As far as the research goes, roof position switch No.1 & No.2 are integrated into a single part, the part number is 84742-24050. And my car is 2007. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct part before I place the order? Thanks.
I am not familiar enough to tell you what the code means. I did google the part number you gave me and came up with this diagram

It looks like it is the switch near the visor area. In the past, people have had problems when something got caught in that area. Things like tape that inadvertently got placed in that area.

When I had a problem with my roof, BGW70 or VVTIBOB was nice enough to make a copy of that section from their factory repair manual.

I would hold off buying anything, until you can get your hands on that section of the manual. $81 bucks is a lot to gamble.
Old 08-09-18, 06:24 PM
sc07
Driver School Candidate

I am not familiar enough to tell you what the code means. I did google the part number you gave me and came up with this diagram

It looks like it is the switch near the visor area. In the past, people have had problems when something got caught in that area. Things like tape that inadvertently got placed in that area.

When I had a problem with my roof, BGW70 or VVTIBOB was nice enough to make a copy of that section from their factory repair manual.

I would hold off buying anything, until you can get your hands on that section of the manual. $81 bucks is a lot to gamble.

thanks DD, but it’s not the part shown in this diagram. The switch is at the rear of the car,upper right side of the trunk, a owner from Japan posted a thread with pictures on how he fixed his.
Old 08-09-18, 11:36 PM
VVTiBob

Received 272 Likes on 204 Posts

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-09-18 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 10:01 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

thanks DD, but it’s not the part shown in this diagram. The switch is at the rear of the car,upper right side of the trunk, a owner from Japan posted a thread with pictures on how he fixed his.
That's good to know. When I googled the part number you posted, I came up with that picture. You may want to double check the part number, just to be sure.

But then again, there is a good chance the switches are all the same.
Old 08-10-18, 10:04 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

a owner from Japan posted a thread with pictures on how he fixed his.
Hey, could you give me the link to the Japanese post? I am always looking for other SC resources but never considered going overseas due to the language barrier.
Old 09-12-18, 10:36 PM
sc07
Driver School Candidate

Hey, could you give me the link to the Japanese post? I am always looking for other SC resources but never considered going overseas due to the language barrier.

His post is on this forum, and actually on his post he borrowed your pictures of trim pieces taken off the trunk
Old 09-12-18, 10:41 PM
sc07
Driver School Candidate

Update: fixed the problem through team work between a good friend at Toyota who kindly helped with tech stream, got the code B2523. And charismatic neighbour who happens to have extensive connection among dealership, sourced me the part and got it installed at Lexus.

Thanks PO Dan for replying my private message, and thanks all for contributing

Quick Reply: Roof opens only intermittently