SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 12:09 PM
UGAALF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator

When I was driving to work recently, noticed that my engine was overheating. I had also noticed that coolant was on the carport in the morning, though I thought it might be condensation from the A/C, as it was very humid that day. I pulled over and noticed water all over the engine and a mist coming up from the hose. I was in the middle of nowhere and wanted to get to a service shop, so I put some water in the radiator. Long story short, I had to pull over several times for the engine to cool so I could continue. It turned out there was a hole in the radiator, thus I had a new one installed and I am going to pick the car up. They told me that the car is not overheating, however it is not bleeding out well and it could be a head gasket problem, caused by my continuing to drive the vehicle when it was overheating, and I need to be aware.

Does this sound right?
Old 08-11-14, 02:41 PM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible you just have air in the system. With the car cold, park it on a steep hill, facing up the hill. The car has to be cool. Pull the radiator cap off, start it up, and let it warm up. Squeeze the upper hose with your hand a bunch of times. As the engine warms the air will be released, and rush to the highest spot, which should be where the cap is. Once it warms up far enough you'll need to re-cap it. I don't even remember if this car has a cap on the radiator itself, or just the overflow tank, (I've only owned my SC for a few days) but it still should work. It's worth a shot. Search the forum for cooling system burp procedure.
Old 08-11-14, 04:19 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you blew the head gasket and water got into the oil you can see it on the dipstick. Water in the oil will make the oil look like brown mud.