Another New Member

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 08:15 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Another New Member

Hello all

I'm new to CL, and have read many posts the last 1 week.
I just bought a 2002 "purple as stated on the car title" SC430 with 151,000 miles.
I'm not afraid of the high mileage
I had the choice of a 104,000 miles 2002, silver color with non working retractable roof.
The silver SC430 also has a rebuilt title with 2006 stock wheels and sitting on Tein springs.
I chose the purple SC430 because of the working retractable roof but more defects and high miles.

No mods but few defects:
Passenger's 6x9 is dead or not there...have not pulled the door panel off yet
Driver's 6x9 is a Kentwood...found out because I put in the car alarm
Both Passenger and Driver power door locks are working but not enough power to lock/unlock
Tire indicator is on in the dash display...has stock "pie plate" rims and regular tires
Only one car key and it is a normal key not the one with lock/unlock buttons
Trunk lifts hydraulic rods dead
Roof makes rattle noises on top of passenger side
Car fogged up on rainy days while parked in the rain
Front struts/shocks are not working...rattle-like noise on pumps

Recent mods:
Did a Royal Purple 5w20 oil change and repair/line up all the plastic under the car
...passenger wheel liner got rubbed and chewed a hole in the front
5303L Avital alarm with auto start...dumb me got the 556U bypass that REQUIRED a spare key
...spent a whole day installing the alarm (will auto start but needs another key which I don't have)
...thanks to an SC430 owner that posted wire location with pictures on the12volt.com
Spent a few hours trying to figured out why the power door locks work but not enough strength
...opened the whole lock mechanism and thinking the relay may not giving the full 12v it needs
...the lock module's (black box) lock/unlock relay may be dying
...update 1; another member's repair: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html Note: the RX300's have the rounded shaft, SC430's have the flat shaft.
...update 2: bought me two and waiting for them to come in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121417617504
...update 9/02: motors came in but did not has the time
GPS and power antenna work but gave up during the auto start tests Update: GPS back to normal
...GPS shows "no disk detected" and the power antenna runs but not going up/down
De-badged the front Lexus emblem with the one screw out. Update: put back
De-badged the SC 430 and LEXUS letters on the trunk but saw bad double layer paint. Update: put back
...no wonder the glue/tape came off so easily--have to put them back to hide the ugliness
Did a timing belt
Changed the spark plugs
One switch keyless engine run/OFF https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ton-start.html
Report 9/02: drove to many businesses, the on/off switch was used at least 10x's...good to go for keyless
Bought a tire repair kit and air can

Next mods:
Megan EZ coils
Camber kit
Rims
Another car key Update: wife's 08 RX350 has three keys...stole the valet key and reprogrammed it. Auto Start=
...reprograming: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...#ixzz3BdOrqjnQ
Working power door locks Update: waiting for the motors to come in from the mail
Not too worried about the power antenna, but may fix it Update: unplugged the power to the motor

Questions:
1. Anyone experience the power door lock or module problem? Any Fix? Update: buying the motors
2. GPS disk not detector and antenna went out at the same time? Update: unplug/replug battery
3. Any particular camber kit out there? Update: looked into it--$$$$$
4. Any guide to tighten the roof or adjust the rattle? Update: saw a lock screw&hex on the roof's second section
5. Car fogging up so quickly is normal on convertible? Update: clamp holes back on.

Above all:
Thank you for looking/reading my post and the future aids in my quest for answers.
Attached Thumbnails Another New Member-file0_057730_800600.jpg   Another New Member-sc430-lock-motor.jpg   Another New Member-sc430-flat-shaft-motor.jpg   Another New Member-image.jpg  

Last edited by Regent6; 09-02-14 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add link to another member's repair and add picture of the open lock motor
Old 08-26-14, 08:50 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...first congrats on the new vehicle !!!! Hopefully after working out these minor issues, you'll be even happier with your purchase. Lucky for you, I think all these issues have been talked about in this forum at one time or another.Go to the thread search, type in the issue/topic & see what pops up. Also maybe some of the guys that read this post & have experienced any of these things will chime in...congrats again
Old 08-26-14, 08:59 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome note

I'm reading other posts to find out more about these issues.
Yes, other guys chiming in are the best.
I love to hear stories and experience on the SC430...We also have a Silver 2008 RX350 too...wife's

Thanks again.

Last edited by Regent6; 08-26-14 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-14, 09:33 AM
texsexlex
Racer

...there's a very recent thread about the module/door lock, listed under "key fob working....", I don't think they've quite figured it out,but they're working on it...you might want to read that one. On the GPS & antenna issue, since they went out at the same time & you were working on the alarm,it may be a fuse ???
Old 08-26-14, 09:41 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the pointer.

About the antenna, the noise it made (according to what I have read) seems to be the broken teeth issue. The power is there since it turns thus making the noises or tried to go up or down so it may not be the fuse. I'll go and look at the fuse box in the trunk now. thanks again

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...there's a very recent thread about the module/door lock, listed under "key fob working....", I don't think they've quite figured it out,but they're working on it...you might want to read that one. On the GPS & antenna issue, since they went out at the same time & you were working on the alarm,it may be a fuse ???
Old 08-26-14, 10:08 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Regent6
Thanks for the pointer.

About the antenna, the noise it made (according to what I have read) seems to be the broken teeth issue. The power is there since it turns thus making the noises or tried to go up or down so it may not be the fuse. I'll go and look at the fuse box in the trunk now. thanks again
...if you're getting the noise, then the motor is ok, just the mast is broken inside. I've had to replace mine twice,it's not a hard job,just have to take your time.If you're lucky, you may be able to feed the new mast in without pulling the whole unit out of the car,I wasn't that lucky...lol. The GPS may have a bad disk or non at all, sometimes you get that message when there's an issue with the disk, hopefully its not the unit itself
Old 08-26-14, 10:50 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, texsexlex

I'll fiddle with the antenna after the power door locks and GPS.
What suspension you have on your ride?
Old 08-26-14, 11:11 AM
texsexlex
Racer

...I lowered mine with Tein Sports Springs..it's about 1.5-2 drop. I got a good deal on them from another member, so went that route.I'm still considering coilovers,possibly even air ride. But I'm happy with the results, so hadn't been in a big rush to change anything
Old 08-26-14, 05:49 PM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

gotcha, texsexlex

Update1: GPS back to normal...unplugged the battery for about 10 minutes then tighten back. Don't know what happened.
Update2: Windows foggy up situation; passenger rain catcher holes by the back window was not connected. It rained today and there were plenty of water on top of the luggage cover and on trunk's carpet.
Old 08-26-14, 08:51 PM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
My 95 Sc purchased a few months needs antennae mast, top moonroof glass and some touch up paint for rear bumper only. I feel it is more plausible now and you have reinvigorated my johnny quest for a workable solution!
Congrats on your SC. I like that body style too, but wanted a Convertible--I bought this 02 SC.
Old 08-27-14, 06:59 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple tips, easy fixes and comments:
1. Buy new truck struts on ebay or amazon for very cheap that work well and are easy to install

2. If your tire pressure light is on, there is an easy way to dissconnect, which many people on CL do, as the tire sensors break easily and are expensive to repair

3. Do you have run flats, take them off to greatly improve ride. I reccomend Michelin Pilot Super Sport, since the ride is excellent with these tires.

4. The speakers on these cars often fail, and there are relatively inexpensive aftermarket replacements. It seems like anything is better than the ML speakers.

5. If you plan to do any performance mods, there are two changes IMO that will give you the most bang for the buck. Swift Racing Technologies has an excellent cold air intake and chip. There is also a throttle controller that improves throttle response called the "Sprint Booster".

6. I'm getting Tein Coomfort Sport Coilovers installed this week or the next, and I can let you know how they work out.

The 2002 sc430 is an excellent car, and I hope you enjoy it! CL has lots of great resources and easy fixes, so dig in and search and ask question. Cheers, LexBrett
Old 08-27-14, 04:09 PM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, LexBrett

1...check...bought the trunk struts from Amazon last night
...also bought 1. Mitsuboshi Timing Belt 2. Aisin Water pump 3. Serpentine belt 4. 8 x NGK (4589) IFR6T-11 Laser Iridium 5. Stant 180 deg thermostat
2...check...unplugged the two plugs
3...check...currently has good enough regular tires; the tires may have 10k miles left
4...I'll look into buying another 6x9 for the passenger side. Need some in the back too
5...I'll look into those performance mods although I wish to do a 5 speed swap...somehow. Thanks
6...Amazon has the Megan EZ for $690. I'll looking into your option too. Thanks

I love this SC. The closest to it was the 02 MR2 Spyder I had...it was flooded by a minor hurricane.
I do a lot of reading on CL. My wife starting to hate my new habit...read at night and work on the SC at day time.
Old 08-27-14, 05:52 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Hello and welcome to the SC430 club! Congratulations on a nice find, she's a beauty.

That was me with the SC430 Remote Start install on the 12 Volt. The Avital 5303L is a good system and you can definitely use a "data style" bypass module with the 5303L. The $40 bypass module price beats the cost of a Dealer key and comes close to an EBay blank transponder key + DEI 556UW module. If you decide to go that way, look for an ADS TBSL KO or ADS TBSL TI module. I'll be glad to supply assistance should you have any questions during install and programming. Did you program the 5303 for Comfort Closure? Nice feature with the 5303.

Been over two years with our SC430 and the wife loves driving it. She is getting close to 20 MPG commuting to work and tooling around. As you mentioned, Club Lexus has all the answers for the occasional issues that pop up.
Old 08-28-14, 04:13 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Regent6, Sound like you have done your homework and you have a car in top condition! Just a couple tweeks gets this car even more amazing.

I have heard that the sc430 is the worse selling of all Lexus models. I don't understand why. I get compliments on my car almost daily, as I'm sure you will too!

Please let me know how your coilovers work out as well as other mods!

Lex
Old 08-28-14, 07:22 AM
Regent6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Hello and welcome to the SC430 club! Congratulations on a nice find, she's a beauty.

That was me with the SC430 Remote Start install on the 12 Volt. The Avital 5303L is a good system and you can definitely use a "data style" bypass module with the 5303L. The $40 bypass module price beats the cost of a Dealer key and comes close to an EBay blank transponder key + DEI 556UW module. If you decide to go that way, look for an ADS TBSL KO or ADS TBSL TI module. I'll be glad to supply assistance should you have any questions during install and programming. Did you program the 5303 for Comfort Closure? Nice feature with the 5303.

Been over two years with our SC430 and the wife loves driving it. She is getting close to 20 MPG commuting to work and tooling around. As you mentioned, Club Lexus has all the answers for the occasional issues that pop up.

-Haha, thanks for the welcome note, and of course, for sharing your work on the12volt.com, CL, and everywhere else.
-I stole my wife's valet key, reprogrammed it, taped & zip tied the chip-only by the ignition--auto start is good now
-Comfort Closure feature activated ... I have the Aux 3 Output for window down
...thinking of Aux 1&2 Output for quarter window up&down (have to search for the wires on the SC within CL)
....or top up&down still debating

I got the SC on the late night of the 20th...wow eight days ago . What could not be better was the four hours of driving home with the top down and cool night breeze. I've been messing with it almost every day. Going to do a timing belt (tune up) tomorrow when the rest of the parts are in from the mail. I love the car; I told my wife about it for a whole, long year. Lol

Quick Reply: Another New Member