SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Survey of cost to fix retractable roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 07:49 AM
Cinc04
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Excellent discussion Paul. I would also add that it is a big help to have a TechStream to access diagnostic trouble codes when troubleshooting.

Based on my limited experience it appears that the retractable roofs on the SC430 are very reliable and very well-designed. I've talked with several owners who have never had an issue with the top. Being an electrically driven unit vs. a hydraulic unit reduces a lot of troublesome issues. No pumps to fail, no cylinders to leak, etc.

I would bet that the average Lexus dealership works on very few retractable tops each year. The car has been out of production for 13 years now and it was a limited-volume car. There may be very few Lexus techs that have ever worked on the top. So when a car comes in with an issue, I would assume they would quote high, for the repair, because one, they will have to do significant diagnostic work to find the issue, two they will use new parts and three, because they can.

There are some really smart people on this forum that can help if you do the work yourself. A good independent shop that has the manuals, the diagnostic tools, and one that will work with used parts can make the risk manageable.
Old 05-04-23, 09:06 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

All true Sir. My only issue is people who are afraid to purchase the car because it is a convertible. While true, the top may need repair sometimes in it's life, I just recently paid $4,914.14 cents because of a failed gasket on the water pump. Regular maintenance requires a timing belt change at no more than 90k miles. The SC is a very heavy car and suspension maintenance cost me more than the top ever has.

Owning a classic is an act of love for the vehicle, not because it is necessarily cheap. But I am also not your typical anything. I have 40+ years experience as an electronics technician and a voracious curiosity of how things work. And I just so happen to like helping others. I learn something new and make friends along the way. :-) So, for me personally, if my car breaks down, I want to know not just what broke, but understand why it broke. And I learn something new almost every day because I own the SC430, a GS430 and an Acura RSX Type S that I take care of for my son because he's young and broke. Plus, I love the SC especially.

Paul
Old 05-04-23, 09:56 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ronchaby
Let me tell you how some of the owners of earlier earlier model are doing.... NOT VERY FUNNY WELL...I mean come on whose watching the kids over at Lexus HQ. Thank you I'll sleep much better tonite after reading your post. Ok seriously now If you can come up with that kind of imformation and plop the 5K bomb I'm sure you can come up with some inside stuff on how to get around it. Lets get real here the the people on this forum aren't here because we are so bored because we have so much freaking money and bored of counting it that we sit on the computer at night for chuckles. NO because we like the car but we can't afford a new one. So cough up where is a guy who spent a nice chunk of his pention for a sc430 going to get his freaking roof fix for a lot less than 5k. Thank you
Ronchaby, you have a valid question that really wasn't addressed. There are several things one can do to prepare for any major failure whether it be the retractable top or engine.

1. Start looking for that mechanic who actually knows your vehicle "before' it breaks. Someone you can trust and feel confident that the diagnosis and repair are going to be done right. This is actually the hardest part of the whole thing.

2. Buy new or used parts that seem to have a high degree of failure (that's an independent judgement call) or are regular maintenance items and hold onto them for when you need them. That includes finding a great deal on the Timing Belt kit. If you find one being given away, ****** it up. PCV Valve, ****** it up. Air Filters, cabin and engine, oil filters etc. The TPMS System can be a very costly item on the 02-05 Mdls. All of these things being available when you need them greatly reduces your stress and cost because your not running to the auto parts store or dealer for this and that.

3. Buy a set of Service Manuals (approximately $340) and a Scanner (another $120). TechStream is of course the best. But I use an iCarSoft i905 hand held scanner that allows me to check virtually everything including the retractable top. But know that some top codes can ONLY be diagnosed while the top is in motion for the scanner to read it. And due to a volatile memory in the cars ECM's, the codes disappear once you turn the car off. Their just gone until you run the scan again. "Then" you can refer to Vol 1 of the Service manual, see what the code means, look at the repair for the code identified in Vol 2 and then decide if it's something you want to take on yourself or pass the info on to your trusted mechanic. Note that the Electrical Service Manual is seperate from the normal Service manual set but shouldn't cost more than about $40.

4. If you do have to take it to the dealer, know that just repairing your car isn't the only benefit. I had A new Lexus ES350 for a week during my last service. No additional cost. Just part of the service. And of course you get the one year parts and labor warranty for anything you have worked on as long as you buy the parts from the dealer. If you bring your own parts, they will install them, but they will not warranty them.

These four things will help you maintain your vehicle (any vehicle) in top condition and for the least cost and stress. And I'm sure I could come up with a hundred other clues if I really sat down and thought about it. But the short rub is what I have spelled out here and apply to owning any vehicle. I really hope that helps a little.

Paul
Old 05-06-23, 06:50 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My suggestion...and what I did when I bought my SC430. Buy a pair of used hinge assemblys off ebay. I think I shopped and found a pair for less than 200. Keep around in case your top stops working...or gets intermittent. Saved me as my top became a lil finicky...took to an independant shop...code says it was a sensor on RH side....but finding the exact one is an issue. Replaced whole hinge...out the door for a couple hundred.

When researching SC's...the most likely expensive repair to be needed was the top malfunction.
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (05-07-23)
Old 05-07-23, 07:52 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

Sippy has a good point/idea. I "heard" the standard repair on the convertible top at the dealer is to replace the hinges for $3500.

Based on what I read on this board, that is also the solution for problems not related to the package tray or locking pins.

When you look for hinges, see if you can buy them in pairs. You want the motors to be worn evenly, so taking them off the same car helps.