SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

newcomer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 04:23 PM
jonsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newcomer

john here, own 2002 sc 430 , bought new, great car. approaching 240,000 miles, im needing to replace my lower control arm bushings. I plan on doing in the garage. dealer wants to much to repair. I believe my bother in-law and myself can get this job done. any advice .
Old 12-26-14, 10:05 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

different ways to go about it burning bushings and making a slit on the sleeve, press and a punch. I've done the punch and press method a couple of times, not a big fan of the cutting method because I don't want to put the arm at jeopardy. Here is a good write up:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-of-pics.html
Old 12-27-14, 07:18 AM
jonsc430
Driver School Candidate

Default newcomer

thank you so much. those pictures and directions are great. feel very comfortable now doing my self.
Old 01-14-15, 06:33 AM
jonsc430
Driver School Candidate

Default suspension issues

Originally Posted by jonsc430
thank you so much. those pictures and directions are great. feel very comfortable now doing my self.
ok I replaced the lower control arm # 2 last night. the sc is driving so good. but unfortunately the noise is still there . the banging is gone over certain bumps but the screeching is not. in the last 2 years the struts and strut mounts have been replaced. upper control arms with ball joints upper and lower .inner and outer tie rods, and now the arm # 2 of the two piece control arm. so not worried about the wheel coming off . but I do want to figure out what it is. after more reading in the forum sway bar bushings need to be next on my list to replace.
Old 01-14-15, 07:10 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

ok I replaced the lower control arm # 2 last night. the sc is driving so good. but unfortunately the noise is still there . the banging is gone over certain bumps but the screeching is not. in the last 2 years the struts and strut mounts have been replaced. upper control arms with ball joints upper and lower .inner and outer tie rods, and now the arm # 2 of the two piece control arm. so not worried about the wheel coming off . but I do want to figure out what it is. after more reading in the forum sway bar bushings need to be next on my list to replace.
Screeching noise? Sorry but there was no mention of this before? With bad suspension parts you'll hear a clunking noise a screeching noise seems more to do with the tire.. have you done an alignment? A screeching noise can come from the tires toe or camber being out, almost like when a tire is being dragged straight. That's when I've experienced any screeching sound.
A creaking sound can come from dry bushings when the daizen bushings for the caster arm are installed you grease it up, over time the grease wears/washes off and it becomes dry I've had creaking issues because of that in the past.
Old 01-14-15, 10:10 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

screeching noise.

is this when braking? or when moving? what speeds?

the cover behind your brakes isn't touching the rotor is it? i had a weird squealing/screeching sound when that cover was touching..

is your car lowered btw?
Old 01-14-15, 03:00 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Is it a tire or metallic screech? If tires, are your shocks/struts worn out?

Can you tell whether the banging noise is coming from the front or back? If the front, have you checked your motor mounts? (If the motor mounts have gone out, you should also have extra vibrations while just sitting idle.)
Old 01-15-15, 08:24 AM
jonsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bimmer416
screeching noise.

is this when braking? or when moving? what speeds?

the cover behind your brakes isn't touching the rotor is it? i had a weird squealing/screeching sound when that cover was touching..

is your car lowered btw?
not lowered, but noise seems to be when I am braking and going over dip in road and turning just a bit. I was thinking sway bar bushings or sway links them self's.
Old 01-15-15, 08:27 AM
jonsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Is it a tire or metallic screech? If tires, are your shocks/struts worn out?

Can you tell whether the banging noise is coming from the front or back? If the front, have you checked your motor mounts? (If the motor mounts have gone out, you should also have extra vibrations while just sitting idle.)
coming from the front ,motor mounts have been changed,
Old 01-15-15, 08:34 AM
jonsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Screeching noise? Sorry but there was no mention of this before? With bad suspension parts you'll hear a clunking noise a screeching noise seems more to do with the tire.. have you done an alignment? A screeching noise can come from the tires toe or camber being out, almost like when a tire is being dragged straight. That's when I've experienced any screeching sound.
A creaking sound can come from dry bushings when the daizen bushings for the caster arm are installed you grease it up, over time the grease wears/washes off and it becomes dry I've had creaking issues because of that in the past.
yes alignment done when I had dealer to fix inner and outer tie rods. that was only about a month or so ago. other work done to front end, upper control arms w/ball joints. lower ball joints, # 2 control arms both sides. I really appreciate every ones thoughts .
Old 01-15-15, 08:49 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you can jack the front end up and spin the front tires to see if any noise came out.
Old 01-15-15, 02:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

coming from the front ,motor mounts have been changed,
It is possible that it is your brakes. (Search the forum for "brake clunk".) Usually, you'll hear it when you first get in your car but sometimes it takes driving a bit to make them clunk. So it could happen after you've gotten underway.

What happens with brake clunk is the "glide path" for the pads gets enough friction to overcome the return springs and a jolt or proper vibration. There were various solutions reported in the past (copper grease properly applied, replacing the springs, cleaning up the area (removing rust), beefing up the springs with a rubber piece to bolster the springs, etc.).

BTW, this is a very common malady that annoys most all the owners at one time or another.