SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Getting rid of the antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03 | 06:41 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Default Getting rid of the antenna

Anyone know if this can be done. I hate this automatic antenna. My GS did not have this and its annoying. Can I replace my antenna with an s200 antenna.. Anyone want to do the mod and post instruction
Attached Thumbnails Getting rid of the antenna-antena.jpg  
Old 03-14-03 | 06:38 AM
tfischer

I don't know what an S2000 antenna is, but I can only say that I don't find it annoying.

My guess is that the full size exterior antenna, not imbedded in the glass, is needed because the convertible top makes it impossible to imbed one in the rear window. I'm no expert, but I recall that a lot of good radios now use two separate antennae, often one in the front window and one in the rear, and use the stronger signal at all times. I am also guessing that the type and size (the length of the extension changes for AM and FM) is designed to achieve the best reception for the very high quality radio.

I would be annoyed if radio reception were not excellent.

You can also set the system so that the antenna does not extend when playing tapes or CDs, and perhaps that would be less annoying to you.

Or maybe I just have a high threashold of annoyance.
Old 03-14-03 | 07:19 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

I need the antenna to hang my racoon tail from.

Seriously, I think the SC430 antenna looks ok in the up positon. Better than most other cars.
Old 03-14-03 | 11:47 AM
js45
Driver School Candidate

Actually on my new '03 the antenna does not extend when playing CDs or tapes. This must have only been an issue on older models or they have changed the default behavior.
Old 03-14-03 | 05:28 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Correct-O Gene.
Old 03-15-03 | 07:14 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Default RDS Button

What exactly does the RDS button do I know when I click on it it brings up like 2 stations .......... I don't understand what this feature does
Old 03-15-03 | 12:13 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Bob ...

Check out p. 175 of the manual for a thorough explanation of RDS.
Old 03-18-03 | 06:46 PM
Arvin
Rookie

I had S2000, I don't think the the S2000 antenna will look good on the SC430. You can buy the S2000 antenna at http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000.html for a pretty cheap price. I remember there is a web site selling a S2000 antenna in chrome that I think will match to the SC430...

I do find my SC430 (without Lexus Link) antenna annoying because the sound of automatic go up and down.
Old 03-18-03 | 08:22 PM
tfischer

Default Up and Down

Although it is certainly true, and I hear it almost every day, that "the sound of automatic go up and down," I would be more likely to be unhappy by a non-retractible mast that every other street punk broke off as he walked by just because he could.

If anyone wants to replace the Lexus antenna that was designed for this car and for the Mark Levinson radio with one from a Honda, I suggest he discuss the matter first with some close friends. He should ask them about the paint job you get at Earl Scheib, too.

. . . and fuzzy dice???
Old 03-19-03 | 08:51 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

And what's wrong with fuzzy dice Tim ??
Old 03-19-03 | 09:50 AM
tfischer

Default You don't know???

Larry, I will tell you (in confidence, just between you and me) that I love the fuzzy dice when the top is up, but when I put the top down they kept hitting me in the side of the head, which I found much more annoying than "the sound of automatic go up and down." Finally, after much consideration, and several headaches, I removed the dice. The car hardly gets any attention now.

Do you know where I can get a neon license plate frame for the SC430?

Last edited by tfischer; 03-19-03 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-19-03 | 09:53 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Default Changing stations

How come when I am changing modes from FM1 to FM2 or sometimes just when i am changing stations the antenna makes noises like its going up and down?
Old 03-19-03 | 10:23 AM
tfischer

Default Up and Down

I think because it does. I do know that the mast changes length for AM and FM. This is for technical reasons that I forget now, but have to do with the length of the wave modulations, I think. Anyway, the tech weenies at Lexus know the ideal length for the mast, and have it change for AM and FM to maximize the effectiveness of the antenna.

As for changing length between different FM stations, I don't think it does that, but I have not checked because I just don't have the time.

Unlike those with ADD, I have the opposite problem: Attention Surplus Disorder. I am endlessly fascinated by insignificant details. I will probably run some checks this weekend.

My guess is that your observation is based on the AM to FM shift, although I don't think I've really noticed any noise associated with this. I'm aware of it because my SC400 did the same thing, and I found it interesting. That radio, however, did not allow the option of having the mast not retract when playing tapes or CDs. If you have your RDS button pushed a certain way, you can switch this feature off and on.

Something else to play with.
Old 03-19-03 | 12:15 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

snake-eyes
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-03 | 02:47 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Re: Up and Down

Originally posted by tfischer

As for changing length between different FM stations, I don't think it does that, but I have not checked because I just don't have the time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it does change when you change from one FM station to another, specifically to stations in the lower ranges.

Quick Reply: Getting rid of the antenna