SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ecru Interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 06:16 AM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecru Interior

Just took my Red/Ecru SC430 out of storage and am getting it ready for spring. While cleaning my interior I was having difficulty getting some of the discoloration out of the drivers seat and I remembered reading about some Ecru interior issues on the board a few months ago. Was wondering if these issues were ever resolved.
Old 03-17-03, 07:46 PM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, aint that funny.

I spent some time in my SC this weekend in Chicago. Oh man, nothing like 60 degrees in March!! What a great day driving with the top down.

But.....

I have been unhappy with the dirt/discoloring on my ecru interior since Fall. The car was bought in July on '02. I wanted my detailer to take a shot at getting the discoloring/dirt off of the leather. And , NO CHANCE !! He used everything he had. Including the double secret-super duper-gotta get it out cleaner and a big fat NOTHING!! I personally have tried to maintain the interior since I took ownership, and it just got worse and worse. The detailer dude( that's the professional name, right??), said that it was discoloring and wear. The most disgusting areas are the drivers side door/arm rest and leather door covering.

This is not a pretty picture. I expect to take it into Lexus when I get time and have them give me their assessment. I am pretty sure I already know the answer("normal wear and tear"), but we'll see.

I guess I am not so nutty about it as some previous posters, (suing lexus), but I do hope they can resolve this issue. I think the only way is to replace the leather areas that are discolored. Who knows??

I do wish that I had purchased the black interior. But that will go into my shoulda/coulda account with all of my great stock trades that I never made. Boy is that account doing great, while my real account slowly bleeds!!

I am getting the feeling that they have a problem on their hands with the ecru leather.

TJZ
Old 03-18-03, 05:46 AM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

Well, I am will give my detailer a shot in a couple of weeks and will let you kno if I have any success. Please let me know what the dealer response is.
Old 03-19-03, 06:19 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I had the same problem with a leather bag staining my seat, and the dealer used some denatured alcohol to take it out. The seat looked good as new.
Old 03-19-03, 06:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

had the same problem with a leather bag staining my seat, and the dealer used some denatured alcohol to take it out. The seat looked good as new.
Is "denatured alcohol" the same as the 70% rubbing alcohol you can pick up at any pharmacy?

I do not have a problem with my Ecru leather yet since I am very careful with them and clean them regularly.
Old 03-19-03, 09:56 PM
Phu
Pole Position

Not really sure what it is. That's just what the service guy told me he used.
Old 03-20-03, 12:56 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ltauamkau
Is "denatured alcohol" the same as the 70% rubbing alcohol you can pick up at any pharmacy?
No. Denatured Alcohol is ethyl alcohol and I believe can be found in your local home depot. Rubbing Alcohol is isopropyl alcohol and in the version found in pharmacies, is usually diluted with water.
Old 03-20-03, 01:04 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

BTW, in case you were wondering, I believe that ethyl alcohol is the primary component of "moonshine" which is why denatured alcohol is also controlled by the ATF.

:-)