SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlight Aim and brightness

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 08:06 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback, it was all about turns and lots of them. Both headlights are aimed about the same level, but it did make wonder whether or not the driver's headlight should be a little lower due to oncoming traffic on a two way road.
Old 02-13-17, 02:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I don't know if this actually is official but here is one website with instructions.
http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/how-to...am-headlights/
Old 11-25-19, 04:34 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone searching for the self-leveling headlight system should try this fix (thanks 416tt ).

When I went to work this morning, in the dark, my headlights were shining maybe 10-15 feet in front of the car, that was it. The indicator light on the dash for the leveling system would come on periodically, but then go out again after a minute or two. So, I did some searching here on the forum. What I found was that the problem was most likely due to dirty leveling sensors, either front or back.

While the self-leveling seems like it might be ok if you're hauling 1000 pounds of concrete mix in the trunk, I don't use the trunk for anything other than an overnight bag or groceries. So I decided to try 416tt's idea of pulling the fuse before I went to the trouble of removing, disassembling, and cleaning the sensors. Most of the time, I hate when something doesn't work, but this system is superfluous in my opinion, so I'm not worried about disabling it. In the diagram below, it is the second fuse down in the middle column, labelled H-LP LVL. This fuse panel is located in the passenger side kick panel. When I first pulled the fuse and tested, my lights were still aimed low. So, I replaced the fuse, and turned the headlights on with the car off, and saw them come up. I quickly turned the headlights off, pulled the fuse again, and now everything is perfect. Headlights are up, and the indicator light on the dash is off.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (11-25-19)
Old 11-25-19, 06:05 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maarp
So I decided to try 416tt's idea of pulling the fuse before I went to the trouble of removing, disassembling, and cleaning the sensors. Most of the time, I hate when something doesn't work, but this system is superfluous in my opinion, so I'm not worried about disabling it. In the diagram below, it is the second fuse down in the middle column, labelled H-LP LVL. This fuse panel is located in the passenger side kick panel. When I first pulled the fuse and tested, my lights were still aimed low. So, I replaced the fuse, and turned the headlights on with the car off, and saw them come up. I quickly turned the headlights off, pulled the fuse again, and now everything is perfect. Headlights are up, and the indicator light on the dash is off.
Thanks maarp.
So you left the fuse out to keep the headlights at one position? I gather that you left the fuse out because it seemed as if you have an intermittent problem, right?
Old 11-25-19, 06:23 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Thanks maarp.
So you left the fuse out to keep the headlights at one position? I gather that you left the fuse out because it seemed as if you have an intermittent problem, right?
I figured since I don't really see the need for the leveling system ,and that the headlights ended up in the right position, why tempt fate by leaving the fuse in? I took it out, but left it and the above diagram in the owners manual folder for future reference.
Old 11-25-19, 06:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Makes sense to me.
Old 12-02-19, 08:33 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
Anyone searching for the self-leveling headlight system should try this fix (thanks 416tt ).

When I went to work this morning, in the dark, my headlights were shining maybe 10-15 feet in front of the car, that was it. The indicator light on the dash for the leveling system would come on periodically, but then go out again after a minute or two. So, I did some searching here on the forum. What I found was that the problem was most likely due to dirty leveling sensors, either front or back.

While the self-leveling seems like it might be ok if you're hauling 1000 pounds of concrete mix in the trunk, I don't use the trunk for anything other than an overnight bag or groceries. So I decided to try 416tt's idea of pulling the fuse before I went to the trouble of removing, disassembling, and cleaning the sensors. Most of the time, I hate when something doesn't work, but this system is superfluous in my opinion, so I'm not worried about disabling it. In the diagram below, it is the second fuse down in the middle column, labelled H-LP LVL. This fuse panel is located in the passenger side kick panel. When I first pulled the fuse and tested, my lights were still aimed low. So, I replaced the fuse, and turned the headlights on with the car off, and saw them come up. I quickly turned the headlights off, pulled the fuse again, and now everything is perfect. Headlights are up, and the indicator light on the dash is off.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

No problem